Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 744/722 "Media too slow" Message  (Read 65451 times)

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 744/722 "Media too slow" Message
« Reply #120 on: April 30, 2005, 09:23:59 PM »
so how many times are we going to have this conversation?

;)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2005, 09:27:30 PM »
is it me or does it seem that the people that are most pissed off about the 722 and its issues do not own one?

oh youre right, i just think we believe something should work out of the box for 2+k

Testify!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am with you again BEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

;D 8)

i am really not trying to bash it, hell, if i wasnt 100% happy w/ my v3>jb3 rig,i prolly would have bought one, but i mean really, arent any of you that own one slightly pissed that it took 2+ years to come out, and then has firmware/firewire problems out of the box, at that point, id/ya'll should have wanted them to take another year and fix all of the bugs so it is flawless right out of the box

i would rather have something that is inferior that is RELIABLE than something that is cutting edge and doesnt work 100% of the time

and FWIW, my v3>jb3 setup hasbeen 100% perfect (knock onwood)so far,and ive prolly taped about 100+ sets easilyw/ it/them

Hell I not bashing it either............Just trying to figure out why a company didn't put their product through real world conditions before releasing it to the public!!!!!!!!!!I would be a maniac If I bought one of these boxes and I didn't work 100% of the time!!!!!!Call me crazy, Like I said 2K+ is a lot for something that isn't working!!!!!I'll stcik with DAT....Now do I hope it all gets worked out... YES!!!!!!I DO.............but as its stands its a disappointment...
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2005, 10:01:24 PM »
slow down, take a deep breath. the space bar is that big bar at the bottom of the keyboard, and ez on the !, as you might wear it out.

;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2005, 11:00:32 PM »
>>i would rather have something that is inferior that is RELIABLE than something that is cutting edge and doesnt work 100% of the time<<

my dat didn't work 100% of the time.  diginoise/misloads/dropout/etc.  but DAT is/was the standard for how long?

Offline Brian

« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2005, 11:16:51 PM »
i never once had an issue with my M1.  flawless.  I can only hope my luck with the 722 is the same.  I'm staying positive.  I don't care what any of the haters say :)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2005, 11:38:04 PM »
whatever man, hell, id rather own a MD if it was more reliable :P

its an internet message board, just dont read my posts then :P

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2005, 11:42:06 PM »
yeah boogie, the JB3 was extremely unreliable in the early days.  i almost forgot about that

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2005, 11:57:18 PM »
I'm not defending the 722/744 bashing, but unlike the 722/744 the JB3 wasn’t $2k+ and it was primarily a MP3 player not a professional audio recorder, so you can't really compare them.

It seems to me, most of the people who are not getting a 722/744 are probably a little jealous and the people who have one or are getting one are a little too defensive and want to justify spending that much. I'm in the later :) I do think if you’re going to spend this much money it should work, but I also think one should expect a few bugs. I would assume that most computer based hardware has some bugs, otherwise there wouldn't be firmware. I'm just glad they are fixing them.

Rick
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 12:00:38 AM by Rick »
Retired Taper

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2005, 02:01:29 AM »
is it me or does it seem that the people that are most pissed off about the 722 and its issues do not own one?

oh youre right, i just think we believe something should work out of the box for 2+k

Testify!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am with you again BEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

;D 8)

i am really not trying to bash it, hell, if i wasnt 100% happy w/ my v3>jb3 rig,i prolly would have bought one, but i mean really, arent any of you that own one slightly pissed that it took 2+ years to come out, and then has firmware/firewire problems out of the box, at that point, id/ya'll should have wanted them to take another year and fix all of the bugs so it is flawless right out of the box

i would rather have something that is inferior that is RELIABLE than something that is cutting edge and doesnt work 100% of the time

and FWIW, my v3>jb3 setup hasbeen 100% perfect (knock onwood)so far,and ive prolly taped about 100+ sets easilyw/ it/them

bean,

please STFU on this issue...if you dont like the SD boxes, leave it at that and quit bashing unless you are interested in helping to fix the issue..since you dont even have one of these boxes and dont seem to be interested in getting one i dont see how you can really provide any relevant input

speaking of the v3 and firewire...i sure am glad i didnt take the bait and buy one in hope of the "firewire upgrade" that never came out...in my book grace never delivered and i'm glad i didnt take them at their word

the 722 has worked flawlessly for me...some people have had problems and there does seem to be a real issue with file splits on the newest firmware

regarding your JB3....hope you never had the misfortune to run that box with its early revs of firmware....it had MANY problems..the least of which was its lack of any meters whatsoever...they got it working to a reasonable level with future releases....as will SD

boogie

p.s.--i'm more than happy to have a box that has worked well to this point that may not be perfect and made by a company who has shown a great track record of fixing problems when they come up...fact is hard drive recorders are a new platform for every company and no one has it dialed in yet

and the thing regarding the jb3 is: it wasnt released as a recorder, it was mainly an mp3/wav player, it just so happens creative took the iniative and made it a bit-perfect 16/48 recorder taboot, however, the 722/744 were meant to be field recorders, thats why it seems they screwed up on that regard

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2005, 10:50:00 AM »
well, like you said about the 722 series, i have had ZERO problems w/ my jb3 and thats transferring HUNDREDS of dats to it and also using it in the 'field' hundreds of times, so youre jb3 info isnt the most 'up-to-date- either, and like you said, it was built w/ being an mp3 in mind, NOT a recorder

im done on this repetitive convo, i was simply stating that i think SD basically sucks for not putting a product out the right way,especially after a 2+ year time it took them to release the thing and especially w/ a 2+k price tag

and all of us dont want an all-in-one box, at leats not from SD, grace yes, SD no ;D we want anicecompact digi-input recorderw/a nice size HD and 24/96 compatibility, but w/ no pre/ad

someone has to do that hopefully

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2005, 10:56:15 AM »
we want anicecompact digi-input recorderw/a nice size HD and 24/96 compatibility, but w/ no pre/ad

everyone keeps saying they want a box with no pre or a/d...i can't think of any other recording deivce other than the jb3 which Bean has painstakingly pointed out was mean as a mp3 player, which records a digi-signal only, has no pre or a/d.  every dat deck has a pre and an a/d.  why do you think somebody is suddenly going to start making such a device now?

edit: now i remember, even the jb3 can record analog in so it has an a/d as well, right?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 11:11:26 AM by dmonterisi »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2005, 10:59:50 AM »

thanks for stating what I have been trying to see very politically since the beginning...though I dont own one yet (hope to have mine soon), Tim has graciously been allowing me to put his through the ringer, and honestly, this box is everything I want and more...am I stupid for wanting to buy a $2400 recorder?  Only to those that wouldnt do it themselves...as for the software glitches, I dont think those bitching about it understand a thing about SW development cycles...at Nortel, when we release SW, our first load is our most stable...every time...then as your fixing bugs, it takes you several iterations to work the bugs out until you gain that stability back...SD will do the same thing here...very typical of a SW development cycle...does it suck when we dont get tapes?  absolutely...but speaking for myself, I am happy with their attention to our concerns (SD is tops in customer service imo) and speed in trying to adress them.....

is the box expensive?  yes...absolutely...that is why I am patient with them to work out the bugs because I can see myself using this for a long time coming...

and for those looking for the 24 bit recorder in the JB3 vein, that is cheap, powers enough for a show off of internal batts, does not resample and does not have glitches...good luck...hope it comes out, because it just means better tapes for all of us.

Offline scb

« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2005, 11:08:12 AM »
>>im done on this repetitive convo, i was simply stating that i think SD basically sucks for not putting a product out the right way,especially after a 2+ year time it took them to release the thing and especially w/ a 2+k price tag<<

what's not right about it?  it's actually BETTER than many product launches (minime, jb3, both metric halo boxes which are just now getting functionality promised 2 years ago) because sound devices is VERY active in making any issues known and ironing them out

it was pointed out earlier, but the most vocal 722 and Sound Devices basher here doesn't even own the damn box.  so shut up already about it.  

I've owned PLENTY of gear over the years, and i've never gotten customer service like i get with the 722 except when i was dealing with my mp2, which is ALSO a sound devices product.  coincidence?  i think not.  Sound Devices simply rocks when it comes to customer service and fixing any potential problems

I love my 722.  I was a sound devices fluffer before, but now that i'm a 722 owner i *really* love them.  they nailed it with this box.  notice how i'm a user and i'm saying the exact opposite of Bean, a non-user.  I've even run into an isse with my box, and i STILL love it.  why?  because it is everything I wanted from a box.  I'm also a software developer and I know all about what goes on with this stuff.  SD is doing a hell of a job

no, i'm not trying to justify this purchase at all.  It's worth every penny, and then some.

So this SD bashing from someone who just seems to want to hate the box and company no matter what is just bullshit.  there's plenty of us out here who are extremely pleased with the box, and it's not some fake justification.  it's legit

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2005, 12:03:36 PM »
that was totally daryan! ;D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #134 on: May 01, 2005, 12:14:04 PM »
So, to summarize (for those new to the thread, and hopefully to put an end to the banter since there's no need to repeat all of this ad nauseum):

• Some users are experiencing issues with their SD 7xxs.
  • Some users are not experiencing issues with their SD 7xxs.
  • All complex first-gen devices have problems initially, and the 7xxs are no exception.
  • SD is responding well to issues as they arise.
  • The 7xxs are not unique:  other field devices we use have issues as well - V3, MiniMe, JB3, various flavors of DAT, etc.
  • STFU Bean!!  :P
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com