Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iRiver Corrupt .wav file  (Read 2538 times)

Offline DisturbedPyro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "Taper you are looking for I am not."
    • Disturbed Trade Forum
iRiver Corrupt .wav file
« on: November 02, 2022, 10:47:40 AM »
Hi all,

It's been a long time since I've posted but I need help from the experts. I taped a show last night and when I checked my iRiver H320 during the last song, it was off (NOOOOOO!!!). I turned it back on and hit record. When I connected the iRiver to my computer, it had two files, each with the same date. The first a 1.49 GB wav file with no duration that will not play, the other a 52.1 MB file with a duration of 5:10. This second file is the last song. The former, I assume, is the rest of the show up until whatever point my recorder shut off. Maybe it ran out of battery? If so, it wasn't completely dead since I was able to turn it back on and tape for another 5 minutes, and it stayed on long enough for me to connect it to my computer to transfer the files. Anyway, here is more info on the first wav file:
It doesn't open in VLC, Windows Media Player, Audition, or Audacity
MediaInfo yields this:
Format                                   : Wave
File size                                : 1.49 GiB
Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant

Audio
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings                          : Little / Signed
Codec ID                                 : 1
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Stream size                              : 1.49 GiB (100%)

I looked around on here about how to fix a corrupt wav file. I saw something about it being an issue with the header (although I don't know what that means). I tried Audiohack but it just makes a file with the exact same file size (down to the very last byte) with no duration that also won't open in any program. So it seems to have just made a copy of the original file. I also read about importing the raw file into Audition rather than opening it normally but I don't see how to do that. I'm using an old version of Audition so maybe it's different or doesn't have the ability.

Any ideas of what I can do to fix this? I'd be fine with sending someone a link if they want to mess with it. Thank you!
My Masters
One song samples of all my masters

My Rig: IRiver H320 -> Church-Audio STC-11 Cardioid Mics -> BAT-2B

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
Re: iRiver Corrupt .wav file
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 12:38:13 PM »
following as I may be able to take a crack at it but I'm not home right now.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 02:25:26 PM »
I think fixwav may be able to repair the header for you. I have it on my computer at home, but let me look here. I think you need to know the sample rate and bit depth to use it, but seems like you do.... Looking...

Here you go. The program is attached to the first post.
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=72936.0
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 03:09:04 PM »
I used to recommend ZAR (windows only recover app) but it's been discontinued, and replaced by software which is not free.
https://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.aspx
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline DisturbedPyro

• Taperssection Member
    • Disturbed Trade Forum
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 07:51:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I think fixwav may be able to repair the header for you. I have it on my computer at home, but let me look here. I think you need to know the sample rate and bit depth to use it, but seems like you do.... Looking...

I downloaded fixwav for windows, which is my operating system, but when I double click the .exe, there is a split second flash of what looks like a MS-DOS screen but then nothing. I tried right clicking and running as administrator and it did the same thing.

I used to recommend ZAR (windows only recover app) but it's been discontinued, and replaced by software which is not free.
Do you happen to have a copy of ZAR that you could upload and post a link so I can try it?
My Masters

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 08:48:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I downloaded fixwav for windows, which is my operating system, but when I double click the .exe, there is a split second flash of what looks like a MS-DOS screen but then nothing. I tried right clicking and running as administrator and it did the same thing.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a UI so you must run it from a command line (ie, MS-DOS screen). I think the usage is in that post. You must specify which file you are trying to repair in the command line. Of course, I would work on a copy of the file.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 08:49:52 PM »
If all that is foreign to you, send me a copy of the file and I'll give it a shot here.

vanark at gmail dot com
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 08:53:19 PM by vanark »

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline DisturbedPyro

• Taperssection Member
    • Disturbed Trade Forum
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 10:08:53 PM »
I'm not very familiar with how to do this stuff but I think I figured it out. I get the following error:
ERROR: Could not open 'R_LINE_040223-123215.wav' for update

I might be doing something wrong though. I took you up on your offer, I'm currently uploading the file to wetransfer to send to you via email. Thanks for agreeing to take a look at it, I appreciate it.
My Masters

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2022, 10:23:00 PM »
Please make sure to tell me the bit depth and sample rate (ie, 16 bits, 44100 kHz)

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2022, 10:32:47 PM »
As long as it is 2 channels, 16 bits, 44100 - it has been repaired and coming back to you. ETA: file is 2:30:48 long.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 10:34:57 PM by vanark »

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2022, 10:55:44 PM »
Do you happen to have a copy of ZAR that you could upload and post a link so I can try it?
I found it on the wayback machine at archive.org here
I suggest attempting the "disk image" restore option (FREE!)

https://web.archive.org/web/20220210002353/https://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.aspx
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline DisturbedPyro

• Taperssection Member
    • Disturbed Trade Forum
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2022, 11:54:30 PM »
As long as it is 2 channels, 16 bits, 44100 - it has been repaired and coming back to you. ETA: file is 2:30:48 long.
Ahhh! Thank you so much! Can you please tell me exactly what you did so that if this ever happens again, I know how to fix it myself? I used cmd to open the command prompt, entered the directory of fixwav followed by a space and then the file name with the .wav extension. What did I do wrong? If I don't enter the file name, it displays the readme info for fixwav but then just gives me the initial command prompt: C:\users...

I'd also like to know what causes this in the first place so I can hopefully prevent it from happening again. I checked the fixed file and it's not the full show; the recording did stop at some point. So the recorder must have shut off. I had the button lock on so it didn't accidentally get powered down or the stop button pushed unintentionally. I guess it must have been the battery, even though I was able to turn it back on and record for 5 more minutes. Does this header error happen when the recorder abruptly shuts off (like when the battery runs out)? Thank you so much again. It's a bummer I don't have the full show, but I'm so glad I have most of it!
My Masters

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2022, 12:35:21 AM »
Does this header error happen when the recorder abruptly shuts off (like when the battery runs out)?

Short answer: Yes. This happened to me a few times when I used an iRiver when I ran out of either battery or disk space and it abruptly shut down without properly saving the file.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2022, 07:14:31 AM »
Ahhh! Thank you so much! Can you please tell me exactly what you did so that if this ever happens again, I know how to fix it myself? I used cmd to open the command prompt, entered the directory of fixwav followed by a space and then the file name with the .wav extension. What did I do wrong? If I don't enter the file name, it displays the readme info for fixwav but then just gives me the initial command prompt: C:\users...

I'd also like to know what causes this in the first place so I can hopefully prevent it from happening again. I checked the fixed file and it's not the full show; the recording did stop at some point. So the recorder must have shut off. I had the button lock on so it didn't accidentally get powered down or the stop button pushed unintentionally. I guess it must have been the battery, even though I was able to turn it back on and record for 5 more minutes. Does this header error happen when the recorder abruptly shuts off (like when the battery runs out)? Thank you so much again. It's a bummer I don't have the full show, but I'm so glad I have most of it!

I just made sure I had both fixwav and the WAV file in the same directory. I shortened the file name to file1.wav so I wouldn't have any trouble trying it out. Opened cmd and changed the directory to the one where I had fixwav and the WAV file that needed to be repaired. At the command prompt, I typed fixwav file1.wav and then answered the prompts. At the end, it asks you to overwrite the file which you must do to save the changes, so only work on a copy of the file.

Yes, this occurs when the recorder turns off prematurely before the file is written.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline DisturbedPyro

• Taperssection Member
    • Disturbed Trade Forum
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2022, 07:21:12 PM »
I messed around with it more and figured out what I was doing wrong. So I know how to do it myself now. Thanks again, vanark! I really appreciate it!
My Masters

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com