Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Realistic PZM mods - PZM Boomerang v1.1 (now with audio clip)  (Read 12566 times)

Offline chadbang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Realistic PZM mods - homebrew stereo wing v1.0
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 01:37:51 AM »
+T for the awesome job with the PZM's. I modded a pair myself which I ran in the early nineties but never got around to mounting them on plexiglass. They do clean up nice when you get rid of the noisy transformer and wire in some quality cable. Give us a sound sample when you get the chance...
dB-

Instead of remounting them on plexi (I like the small size) how about applying an acoustic paint like a Flex Spray rubber coating?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Realistic PZM mods - PZM Boomerang v1.1 (now with audio clip)
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 09:20:07 AM »
May change the HF response somewhat, and could help damp resonances in the plate if that's actually a problem.   Changing the total area of the plate onto which they are mounted makes the largest and most obvious difference with regards to acoustic (non electric) mods.  As plate size is increased, the corner frequency above which the boundary-mount boost effect begins to take effect is extended lower in frequency.

BTW, any pressure omni microphone can be used in place of the PZM's, you just need to mount them so that the capsule opening is flush with the surface without gaps.  That typically means drilling a hole through which the microphone passes, unless the mic is very tiny in which case it can be taped to the face of the plate.

Just so you know, many, but not all of the previous posters in this 12 year old thread are no longer active at TS.  Remains a good thread and discussion though!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 10:28:50 AM »
I modified one of these to run on phantom power, but it's always been temperamental, in some environments it puts out a timed ticking noise, like there's RF interference. The mod is within a well shielded aluminum Hammond project box, so it's been a puzzler.  I need to revisit it. 

I have a Crown SASS-P, which has been useful at times.  First dedicated stereo mic I owned.  It can easily give too much ambience, and if too close to a source can also be difficult to achieve a balanced center image. 

Related, the boundary mounts for DPA 4060/4061 are really useful, and don't cost much.  Anyone with those mics should have some IMO.   I have also used 4060's on my SASS-P rather than the built in Crown elements and felt the sound improved, while retaining the spaced array benefits. 

Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2018, 10:41:05 AM »
I modified one of these to run on phantom power, but it's always been temperamental, in some environments it puts out a timed ticking noise, like there's RF interference. The mod is within a well shielded aluminum Hammond project box, so it's been a puzzler.  I need to revisit it. 

I have a Crown SASS-P, which has been useful at times.  First dedicated stereo mic I owned.  It can easily give too much ambience, and if too close to a source can also be difficult to achieve a balanced center image. 

Related, the boundary mounts for DPA 4060/4061 are really useful, and don't cost much.  Anyone with those mics should have some IMO.   I have also used 4060's on my SASS-P rather than the built in Crown elements and felt the sound improved, while retaining the spaced array benefits.

Timed ticking could be a bad capacitor?

I modified two of the Realistic PZM's back in the day too. But, just for balanced output not P48.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Perry

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 03:26:20 PM »
Thanks for digging up this thread! The Radio Shack PZM was my first external microphone. I had very little knowledge of mics in 1988 but had heard these were made by Crown so I bought one. I cut the plate down to make it more comfortable to wear it on a chain around my neck, under a t-shirt. Fed it into a Sony D3 and made some decent mono recordings. I still have that mic- a few years ago someone gave me 3 or 4 additional RS PZM's. I never thought about hacking them, glad I kept them now. Now if I could just remember where I stashed them...  :shrug:
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 03:38:21 PM »
^ Flavor-Flav stylin'.

Like a giant clock on a big neck chain.  Love it!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 04:16:26 PM »
HAHA...me and a buddy once ran them like that with stock base plate under our tee shirts for a JGB band show....My buddy was the Right Channel I was the left...during the show he sneezed...it was so realistic  >:D that on the ride home that night listening to the tape someone said "Bless You"...

I ran them stock outside on 24" square sheets of plexiglass...lost them at some point...They were a cheep but nice sounding set of outdoor festival microphones...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline Perry

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2018, 04:43:27 PM »
HAHA...me and a buddy once ran them like that with stock base plate under our tee shirts for a JGB band show....My buddy was the Right Channel I was the left...during the show he sneezed...it was so realistic  >:D that on the ride home that night listening to the tape someone said "Bless You"...

I ran them stock outside on 24" square sheets of plexiglass...lost them at some point...They were a cheep but nice sounding set of outdoor festival microphones...
My wife and I were driving home from a show I had just recorded. As soon as I start the tape my wife asks me if I want a beer. I told her I was tired and wanted to go home. She looked at me, shook her head and pointed at the car stereo. We still laugh about that.
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.138 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com