Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice on a convenient, solid state CSB rig  (Read 6741 times)

Offline ae35unit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Advice on a convenient, solid state CSB rig
« on: June 21, 2014, 11:08:16 PM »
Hey folks,

Back around the 2000-2003 timeframe I used to tape a lot of shows - mainly with DPA 4021 > Lunatech V3 > DA-P1.

Been cleaning the garage lately, came across a bunch of old DATs and have been listening to / transferring them to my computer all week.

Kinda gave me the taping bug again - I've got a few gems that I simply recorded with a pair of Core Sound Binaurals > Sony PCM-M1.  The DPA / V3 rig sounded fantastic, but what a headache!  Gobs of batteries, mic stands / mounts, labeling/organizing boxes of DATs ...

I was just thinking that having a setup similar to the CSB > Sony PCM-M1 rig again would be fun and relatively hassle-free compared to the DPA/V3 rig.  Then it occurred to me that people probably don't use DAT at all anymore and things would be very convenient with a recorder that went direct to SDRAM or Compact Flash media.

So, my question is - if you already had experience with and liked CSB mics, what's the modern digital recorder of choice for something like CSBs that have a 1/8" mini jack connector?  What's the modern Sony D8/PCM-M1?

The priority here would be keeping things simple / hassle-free and choosing a recorder that generally yields good results and has good usability for live recording.

I've done some Googling, but if there's a consensus favorite recorder I'd like to know about it!

Oh, and I looked over at the Core Sound site - I've enjoyed their other products over the years, but I'm shocked to see that PDAudio 'product' still for sale on there since it's running on discontinued HP PDAs that kinda sucked even when they were current, 10 years ago.  In the iPhone age do people still even bother with the acronym PDA!?

Thanks!

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Advice on a convenient, solid state CSB rig
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 11:30:10 PM »
Sony PCM-M10 is the new deck to get...

You might get some recommendations to get some Church Audio mics, but "buyer beware"...   Look for a used set that fits your needs, or another seller (naiant???)...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Online nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 11:46:39 PM »
As a longtime CSB user, I'll second the M10 recommendation. It's easy to use, has great quality inputs, and runs an insanely long time on a pair of AA batteries.

adrianf74

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 09:08:04 AM »
Simple: Sony PCM-M10.  20+ hours on brand name alkaline AA's. 

Coming from the DAT world, you'll want to record at 24-bit/44.1 or 48kHz depending on your workflow and you'll NOT want to set your levels the way you used to.  With 24-bit, you can set your peaks around -10dB to -12dB and then boost the levels in post without worrying about introducing a bucket-load of hiss.

Hope that helps.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 05:33:45 PM »
Not necessarily being a voice of dissent, but in addition to the Sony PCM-M10 I would suggest you also take a look at the Roland R-05 and at least compare it.  Slightly different format and controls but its preamps and build quality are on par with the Sony.  While it can't compete with the M10's extraordinary battery life, it's still pretty good. 

As far as some small, omni-type microphones I believe DPA 4061s were used in the high-end CSBs and they are still available.  But for less than half the price, you could get a brand new pair of rat-tailed Countryman B3s and then have one of the TS cablers (darktrain, tgakidis, etc.) terminate them into a stereo pair for a small fee.  Purchase a battery box to go with the mics and recorder and you're ready to tape.

Offline ae35unit

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 07:30:33 PM »
Thanks for the info folks!

Particularly, thanks for the 24-bit note, adrianf.

What a great time for low-key taping, eh?  Just over $400 for a perfectly servicable taping rig with the Sony + CSB combo.  No toting gobs of equipment in special bags, no mic stands, no heavy SLA batteries, no shuffling & labeling DATs or real-time DAT digital transfers!

Thanks!!

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 09:53:42 PM »
I don't understand the "buyer beware" above about Church Audio mics. The Church Audio CA-14 omnis aren't the smallest mics in the world, but they sound mighty fine.  They do take a while to arrive because Chris Church builds them himself and is constantly backlogged, but there's ample evidence (try the Live Music Archive) about how good they sound.

ae35unit, are your CSB's still working, or were you looking for new mics too? If I'm thinking of the same mics, the CSBs came with their own preamp. When you get new mics, if you're recording amplified music all you need with the PCM-M10 is a battery box like Church Audio's UBB.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 11:09:26 PM »
I don't understand the "buyer beware" above about Church Audio mics. The Church Audio CA-14 omnis aren't the smallest mics in the world, but they sound mighty fine.  They do take a while to arrive because Chris Church builds them himself and is constantly backlogged, but there's ample evidence (try the Live Music Archive) about how good they sound.

I can't seem to find it now, but there was a thread from someone looking to borrow a preamp b/c they hadn't received their order in a reasonable time from Church...  I have no issue with how well Church products perform, but issue is how spotty the customer service can be...  YMMV...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 11:46:37 PM »
I won't argue with you about whether the Church mics sound good, you may have a playback system that pairs with them well. I will say that anytime I've recorded the same show/spot etc. with my B3s and someone else used Church omni mics, mine gets more downloads. Plus I bought the B3s unterminated, got them in the mail, mailed them to tgakidis, who put a quality angled 1/8 stereo plug on them for a nice price for me, shipped them back along with some free stickers from bands I like, all before I got a response from Church. Actually, I'm not sure he ever responded.

ae35unit, are your CSB's still working, or were you looking for new mics too? If I'm thinking of the same mics, the CSBs came with their own preamp. When you get new mics, if you're recording amplified music all you need with the PCM-M10 is a battery box like Church Audio's UBB.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 04:34:44 PM »
Oh, and I looked over at the Core Sound site - I've enjoyed their other products over the years, but I'm shocked to see that PDAudio 'product' still for sale on there since it's running on discontinued HP PDAs that kinda sucked even when they were current, 10 years ago.  In the iPhone age do people still even bother with the acronym PDA!?
Thanks!

That should tell you something about Core Sound. May have been a good company to deal with 20 years ago when there were not many alternatives, but IMO there is no way Core Sound Binaurals + a battery box  is worth $250+ today. The Countryman B3 recommendation is a good one. Also if you don't mind waiting up to 2 months, a set of Church Audio CA-11's with both omni and cardioid caps for less than $200 shipped is a great deal. They work fine directly into an M10 even though Chris Church doesn't recommend it, or you can buy one of his tiny 9 volt battery boxes for an additional $30. I know these mics sound great for the money and you'd have the flexibility of 2 different patterns. I haven't heard the Core Sounds myself but reviews I've heard on them say basically that they are OK but that there are better options available for the money.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 03:46:17 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 11:33:02 PM »
I won't argue with you about whether the Church mics sound good... I will say that anytime I've recorded the same show/spot etc. with my B3s and someone else used Church omni mics, mine gets more downloads.

I didn't mean to cast any aspersions on the B3s. They sound great on what I've downloaded. Should I ever have the wherewithal they'll probably be my next upgrade.

But since you have to buy two of them and get them terminated,  they are about twice the price of Church Audio. And I did point out initially that there's a wait involved for Church Audio--agreed, sometimes a considerable one.  But to just say "buyer beware" without elaboration seemed overly broad to me.

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 03:45:42 AM »
Don't suppose you still have your 4021's? If so, there are easier ways to run them nowadays, and I guarantee that will sound way better than CSB, CA-14 or B3's. All you need is a Naiant Tinybox and run that via a 1/8" miniplug connector straight into either the M10 or R05 that lots of people have already recommended (oh, and a hat and some velcro or duct tape).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 03:47:17 AM by yates7592 »

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 03:15:32 PM »
I had mine shipped to Jon (Naiant) and he terminated, shrink-wrapped etc. for me. Can't remember what he charged, but it wasn't much.

I won't argue with you about whether the Church mics sound good... I will say that anytime I've recorded the same show/spot etc. with my B3s and someone else used Church omni mics, mine gets more downloads.

I didn't mean to cast any aspersions on the B3s. They sound great on what I've downloaded. Should I ever have the wherewithal they'll probably be my next upgrade.

But since you have to buy two of them and get them terminated,  they are about twice the price of Church Audio. And I did point out initially that there's a wait involved for Church Audio--agreed, sometimes a considerable one.  But to just say "buyer beware" without elaboration seemed overly broad to me.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 11:31:07 PM »

I had mine shipped to Jon (Naiant) and he terminated, shrink-wrapped etc. for me. Can't remember what he charged, but it wasn't much.

sound professionals did mine, although Jon's price was probably much less expensive.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 11:57:34 PM »
Must have been tgakidis then.

I don't recall that was me.  Generally, I only work on my own stuff, and I don't think I've ever seen a pair of Countrymen or DPAs.
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 11:43:29 AM »
You asked only about a recorder (I was in your boat a few years back). The M10 is probably the best; the Roland R-05 costs less and is pretty much as good. I'd take either in a heartbeat.

When you do decide those CSBs aren't cutting it, the Countryman B3 route does work. Those things are SMALL, and while I like the 4061s very much, as noted, buying them new is pricey, and buying them as beat-to-shit Broadway mics on eBay carries risks that buying new B3s does not.

For a non-omni mic in a reasonable price range, I'd also look to AT853s aka SP-CMC-4 if you buy from Sound Professionals, or for a smaller (albeit also somewhat bass-lacking) cardiod, the SP-CMC-8 (which is an Audio Technica 943).
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.16 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com