Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Passive preamps  (Read 3631 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Passive preamps
« on: August 24, 2009, 09:04:03 PM »
My current setup has been fine, but the Tascam DR-1 does not have volume control like the Edirols.  I set my Aerco at 11 o'clock, for the best blend on the gain.  Any more gain, the high freqs bleed through to much for my liking.

That said, my levels are low at that Aerco setting.  I want to adjust the levels up.  Can I do that with a passive preamp?  I'm looking at the Goldpoint SA1 and the Luminous , in particular.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

http://www.goldpt.com/sa1.html

http://luminousaudio.com/axiomrca.html

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Re: Passive preamps
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 11:10:59 PM »
These are just variable attenuators in a nice looking box with an advertising budget attached; they really shouldn't be called preamps. If you want to reduce signal levels, they'll help you, I suppose.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 10:01:02 AM »
Luminous Audio Technology/Tim Stinson makes great products, particularly interconnect and speaker cables, but this is clearly a playback device used to control gain by resistance. Not for recording at all. I do strongly recommend Tim's cables, and there are a few members of this site that have used his custom XLR mic cables for many years and love them.

http://luminousaudio.com
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 09:32:30 PM »
Then they should call them passive attenuators.

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 07:44:53 AM »
These are just variable attenuators in a nice looking box with an advertising budget attached; they really shouldn't be called preamps. If you want to reduce signal levels, they'll help you, I suppose.

You are being too charitable.  Apparently they want you to run the amp wide open with this box in front of it.  That's a formula for poor noise performance, never mind all of the specious audiophile claims.

Heh - I resemble that remark!

I had Monarchy "buffered passive pre" that I think worked kind of like a transformer - I think it actually could add some small amount of gain (sort of the way tapers use transformers to raise gain) But, at the time it was my favorite piece of gear. Very honest sounding...good if you wanted to really "hear" your amp.

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 07:36:11 AM »
A buffer is another word for an amp.  Basic rule:  if a box doesn't have a power supply, it isn't an amp. 

Understood. This device had no power...just an knob. Maybe some input switching. They dont make it anymore...and I can never find any info in a search.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 09:45:52 AM »
A buffer is another word for an amp.  Basic rule:  if a box doesn't have a power supply, it isn't an amp. 

Understood. This device had no power...just an knob. Maybe some input switching. They dont make it anymore...and I can never find any info in a search.

Are yo refering to a pre-amp for your playback system, rather than a microphone pre-amp?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 09:25:33 PM »
Apparently they want you to run the amp wide open with this box in front of it.  That's a formula for poor noise performance, never mind all of the specious audiophile claims.

yeah, I couldn't agree more.   Though some folks claim that they can find the "sweet spot" gain range of their amp, and control the volume with these so called "passive preamps."   

I am guilty of using one for a different purpose.  My 1982 QSC 1100 has a gain knob for each channel.  For convenience I use the single knob of the "passive preamp."

I am guilty of thinking I have found the magical sweet spot of my system many times.  Usually it is after a few beverages.  In the morning the system sounds completely different.  Auditioning equipment is difficult, way to many perception influences and variables.  Ah, but this is what makes life interesting!  Variety is the spice of life!
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.229 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com