Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Soundcard suggestions?  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Big Muff

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • James Marshall Hendrix 1942 - 1970
Soundcard suggestions?
« on: October 18, 2013, 07:53:05 AM »

I am looking for digital I/O, coax or optical, 24/96.

Recording vinyl,
Currently using a V3 > ihp 120,
going to be running the turntable > pre > v3 > pc
Last time I had a digital card it was a zoltrix nightengale probably 8 years ago, so I'm kind of out of the loop.
What's new?

Live rig: DPA 4021 > V3 > iHP-120

Vinyl rig: Music hall 5.1 w/acrylic platter > Ortofon Quintet Black > Pro-Ject Tube-Box II > V3 > UA-5

Offline anr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Soundcard suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 01:18:59 PM »
My 14 year old M-Audio DIO 2496 is ideal and it operates quite happily under Windows 7 and 8 using the latest driver.  It cost more than the rest of the PC in 1999 but you could pick one up now for a few pounds/dollars.  It is a full duplex card and has both S/PDIF and Co-Ax inputs and outputs, as well as RCA Phono.  The one minor downside is it requires a PCI slot which dictates motherboard selection a little.  But this is nothing compared to the superb performance.   

Offline lpmaskman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Trade list
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 01:33:42 PM »
I use Tascam US-122 MKII. I like this interface. But you have to use the latest driver and firmware or sometimes it's sometimes become a bitcrusher! :D It have direct hardware monitoring, 2 line/mic inputs (1 can be used as guitar input) and 1 midi in and 1 midi out and 1 heaphone jack. I has very low latency for it's price.
Mics: AT853, ATM35
Inbetween: CA-9100, 3-wire battery box (homemade)
Recorders: Olympus LS-12, Zoom H2 (4 channel line input mod)
Video: Panasonic HC-V770 (x2), GoPro Hero4 Silver, Sony RX10mkII

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 02:54:48 PM »
slightly out of the box thought -- I presume you're looking to record your needledrops at a higher resolution than is supported by your ihp120 -- why not skip the soundcard altogether and upgrade your iriver bitbucket instead.  You can pick up a tascam hd-p2 (or another comparable 24bit/96k capable portable recorder with digital input) for a few hundred dollars and use it to record the bits from your v3 -- as indicated in threads above, the problems with soundcards stem from driver issues/compatability/etc.  Eliminating the computer from the equation takes away another potential source of recording errors/issues.  You'd then import the wav file into your pc for tracking/editing/etc.  as you currently do with your iriver.

d

Offline Big Muff

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • James Marshall Hendrix 1942 - 1970
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 07:19:38 AM »
Bingo.

i think the new recording device is a good idea, I've only got one PCI slot, which is no problem for me but I would like to avoid any possible issues by adding the pc.
also I do have 2 extra irivers laying around, time for a swap!

thanks for the recommendations guys!

Live rig: DPA 4021 > V3 > iHP-120

Vinyl rig: Music hall 5.1 w/acrylic platter > Ortofon Quintet Black > Pro-Ject Tube-Box II > V3 > UA-5

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com