Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rode M5  (Read 18912 times)

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Rode M5
« on: January 08, 2014, 04:42:26 PM »
I didn't miss a thread, did I? New electret SDC from Rode, $199 for a pair:

Swiftly following the recent announcement of their new NT1 microphone, Røde are back with a brand new small-diaphragm electret condenser, called the M5.

Drawing inspiration from the NT5, the M5 and is intended for use in the studio, location and live sound recording. Each M5 features a half-inch cardioid capsule, and will be sold in acoustically-matched pairs for 169 including VAT.

Designed and manufactured in Australia, the M5s have a flat frequency response between 40Hz and 2kHz and a smooth 2dB boost peaking between 7 and 8 kHz. The matched pairs of mics are selected so that variations in sensitivity between mics are no greater than 1dB.

The M5 is finished with RØDE's proprietary ceramic coating which offers a sleek matt black finish, and is supplied with WS5 windshields and RM5 stand mounts.

Røde’s Global Marketing & Sales Director, Damien Wilson, commented: “The NT5 has consistently been one of our most praised and best-selling microphones since its release almost ten years ago. As pencil condensers go it is in my opinion one of the very best in the world, however we recognised that a lot of artists want to use a Røde small diaphragm condenser microphone but doesn’t require the superlative dynamics and versatile capsule interchange found on the NT5. The new M5 offers them an incredible sounding microphone that represents great value.”

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=16694

Designed and made in Australia, the M5 is a compact ½” cardioid condenser microphone with low noise and a full frequency response. A result of many years’ experience building the award-winning NT5 microphone, RØDE has succeeded in making a high-quality ‘pencil’ style permanently polarized condenser that will impress even the most demanding of artists and engineers. Ideal for studio recording and live on stage, the M5 is equally at home on a range of acoustic instruments, choirs, or anywhere you would employ a small diaphragm condenser microphone, either individually or as a stereo array. This matched pair has been carefully selected to ensure a variation of no more than 1dB sensitivity between the microphones. A premium foiled certificate is supplied to verify the authenticity of the pair. The M5 is finished with RØDE’s proprietary ceramic coating which offers a sleek matt black finish, and is supplied with WS5 windshields and RM5 stand mounts.

http://www.rodemic.com/mics/m5-mp

I haven't seen too many reviews yet. But that's a good deal if the quality is good.

Offline harmon712

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Photography and Audio Recording Facebook Page
Re: Rode M5
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 12:47:37 AM »
I was thinking about getting these while I save for Busman BSC1. Right now I just use Zoom H4n mics or SBD.
Mics: Neumann KM184 & Busman BSC1
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-3 & MixPre-6
Stand: Triad-Orbit T3 w/ T-ES Elevator Shaft
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R500
Photo: Canon T3i w/ Sigma 18-50mm & 50-150 f/2.8 lenses
Bag: Gruv Gear Club Bag, AmazonBasics Large DSLR Gadget Bag & Sound Devices CS-3

Offline harmon712

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 03:47:39 PM »
Really I don't know if I should go for it or wait and save for Busman or something else.
Bag: Gruv Gear Club Bag, AmazonBasics Large DSLR Gadget Bag & Sound Devices CS-3

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 05:04:46 PM »
It would be interesting to know how these compare to the AKG P170s. It looks like the M5s have a bit flatter response, while the P170s have a slight dip around 5k and a slightly larger peak around 10k (which may not be a bad thing). Electret vs true condenser. Does anyone know how to compare the noise figures? They are listed a bit differently:

M5
Sensitivity -34 dB re 1V/Pa
(10.46mV @ 94dB SPL)
± 2dB @ 1kHz
Signal / Noise 75 dBA SPL (as per IEC651)

P170
Sensitivity: 12 mV/Pa (-38.5 dBV ±3 dB)
Equivalent noise level
to CCIR 468-2: < 32 dB
Equivalent noise level
to IEC 60268-4: < 21 dB-A
Signal/noise ratio
(A-weighted): 73 dB (re 1 Pa)

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 05:18:42 PM »
Personally...I'd go for the Aventone CK-1, you get Card's, Hypers & Omni caps...yes it's $300 but you will have everything you need...getting you to the point of knowing if you are really into the hobby and want to improve your sound...are happy with them or want to get out...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 06:21:10 PM »
The A-weighted SNR figures should be directly comparable, but sometimes aren't exactly.  But assuming accuracy of the specs and similar noise spectra, the M5 is 2dB quieter.  It's also more sensitive, which can help minimize preamp input noise.

Thanks. I see SNR is apparently 73 vs 75 (although I hadn't been sure if those were directly comparable or not), but how does the sensitivity compare? Is this the correct conversion?

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-transferfactor.htm

Or about -34 dB M5 vs -38 dB for the P170?

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 10:28:06 PM »
Yes, although note the figure stated in the post above for the M5 should be 20mV, not 10mV.

Ah, I see now. The web site is correct, but the data sheet incorrectly indicates 10.46mV.

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 05:36:53 PM »
Personally...I'd go for the Aventone CK-1, you get Card's, Hypers & Omni caps...yes it's $300 but you will have everything you need...getting you to the point of knowing if you are really into the hobby and want to improve your sound...are happy with them or want to get out...

^^^

Offline NorseHorse

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Seeing Sound
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 01:22:59 AM »
I have personally used the M5s on several occasions (and several more to come).  And I have two colleagues with Avantone CK-1s.

The M5s are very nice, even when compared side-by-side with MKH8040s.  Both friends with Avantones have had problems with their microphones and had to send them back for repair.

A picture of tonight's capture with the M5 and the Venice Baroque Orchestra: https://www.facebook.com/ArtsLaureate/photos/a.10152054399523591.1073741912.232382353590/10152054401773591/?type=3&theater

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 06:09:40 PM »
Both friends with Avantones have had problems with their microphones and had to send them back for repair.

Haven't heard of many problems with the Avantones.  Nice thing is that they have a five-year transferable warranty.

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 07:42:50 PM »
These Rode M5 seem to be in the same category as the Line Audio CM3:

http://www.lineaudio.se/CM3.html
But how do they compare? Any answer somewhere?

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 08:12:02 PM »
I would say the line audio's are of slightly better quality.  I know they are hand tuned and matched to very tight tolerances.  They are also ruler flat compared to the bump with the Rodes.  Also the line audios are wide cards verses m5 cards.  The line audio's are also 3db quieter.

DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 11:29:04 PM »
Signal-to-noise specifications for microphones are tough. The use of "A" weighting is inappropriate to begin with (it's designed for the way human hearing works in the ~40 dB SPL range), and it is almost always associated with time-averaged measurements which "smooth out" any impulse noise. Because of this, "A" weighted RMS values of different microphones can't be compared directly, unfortunately. Certainly a difference of 2 or 3 dB in the "A"-weighted RMS S/N specification between two different manufacturers tells you nothing that you can count on; the actual difference could be 0, or could be 2 or 3 dB in the opposite direction, or it could be a 6 dB difference or more in reality.

CCIR measurements (which are almost always quasi-peak, not RMS) will be noticeably higher--often by as much as 10-12 dB--but when accurately stated, they correspond much more reliably to what human ears will hear. The hitch is that most manufacturers don't list CCIR noise measurements precisely because they are higher, and even when they do, you don't know whether they're stating a typical value as actually measured in production, or perhaps an "aspirational" or "conceptual" specification.

The manufacturers that make the highest-quality microphones generally offer the most careful specifications, but the result is that the less careful manufacturers end up with specifications that resemble those of their betters. So it's a chicken-and-egg problem: You need to know who the highest-quality manufacturers are, in order to know how seriously to take the specifications that ought to tell you which manufacturers are offering the highest-quality microphones.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:32:54 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 05:18:48 AM »
Thanks for making it clearer, DSatz.

I believe that there are two other "measurements" / specs to be considered in the same time (but how?): the maximum admissible level and the sensitivity, to have an idea of the performance of a given mic.

It reminds me of another similar (to me) dilemma (years ago!) with tape recording: what you eventually heard was a compromise on bandwidth, noise level and distorsion... You could not have each spec at its better number but you could decide what was important to you, at least when dealing with a competent technical service. I bought my last open reel and cassette recorders in the same (small) shop, used them for some weeks to (even the surface of?) their heads, then brought them back and the guy would tweaks everything to get the best with a given tape. Sorry for my English... 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:26:43 AM by TSNéa »

Offline harmon712

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 02:26:21 AM »
I will be checking out these mics, I just ordered 'em to use until I have more money saved for Busmans or something else.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com