Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MBHO....what's the deal?  (Read 5226 times)

busknuckle

• Trade Count: (0)
MBHO....what's the deal?
« on: June 28, 2003, 09:21:18 PM »
I don't see a lot of people digging on these mics. I'd like to know why. I'm seriously considering getting these. (the active set up)

These mics seem like they could work in the best of both worlds...in a stealth situation using the active cables or on a stand in a club. (I have yet to "open tape" in an outdoor setting...I don't rule it out but it doesn't happen often for me.)

I'd be mainly taping (god I hate these labels but I feel like I should put it)
indie rock
acoustic/clean/more mellowish
loud rock

I'm not a bass freak but I do want to capture some.

before rambling on too much more....all I really want is some opinions from USERS.

I limit this to users of the MBHO 603a/ka200 for one reason...

There are too many variables to simply judge a tape SOLEY on the mics used. If you've heard a shitty recording done with them it could have had SOME to do with the taper. That's why I want to get feedback mainly from those who have used them and/or are quite familiar with them.

One last note....until I could afford a pre (has to be a sax or psp-2/3) I will be powering the mics with a PS-2.

:help:

rabhan

Re:MBHO....what's the deal?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2003, 10:01:40 PM »
joe w runs then and make nice tapes...there is a dude selling his now, GB, he has made nice tapes with his....hrmmm....phishintime i think has them......just left the jerry joseph backyard jam (wooo, i am wasted) and he was there and he said that he really likes his tapes......whose been knockin them?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2003, 10:56:11 PM »
I used them for while before upgrading to my schoeps. They are a very bright mic that produce outstanding highs. They are excellent when you can get up close, but I think tend to suffer some when you are stuck farther back. The active set up is very nice.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2003, 01:31:33 AM »
I used MBHO KA200/603A for a while with some different configs behind them:  Shure FP24 (SD MixPre), line transformers/modSBM-1, V2/modSBM-1.

I think the V2 helped fill things out a bit, and the modSBM-1 and FP24 warmed them up a bit.  I agree with Creekfreak - they're bright mics (which I happened to like) and are best run relatively near the sound source.

Farther back, they suffer a bit.  Never had a problem with high SPLs causing the mids to collapse as I've seen some folks note in the past.

All in all, I liked 'em a lot, I just wanted a change.  My name is Brian, and I am a gear slut...   :P
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

marc0789

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2003, 09:24:02 AM »
I ran them either 603a/200>mp-2>adc-20, >ad1000, or replaced the mp-2 with an eaa. They are nice and bright, with good high end detail, ok mids, poor to average lows, can be boomy up front for Panic, but then anything can. I have experienced the *collapse* of the mids with very high spl's. A very, very forgiving mic in terms of poor acoustics. If you HAVE to have the active setup, there's nothing else in this price range right now. Imo they sound like shit into a v2, they really benefit from the warmth of the mp-2 or eaa psp-2. Never pulled a bad tape, regardless of location. Just never a great one.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2003, 10:48:36 AM »
I will also agree with Brian, the V2 into a modsbm-1 sounds very nice with the MBHO's
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2003, 01:16:24 PM »
well, i have only run them a few times but you wont find another active setup in this price range. They are a bright mic, which i prefer......And the bottom end could stand to be tighter....but i found it handles it pretty decent. I really like the KA200N > W mod UA-5 sound....really brings the sound up and out of the crowd....an up-front sound. I agree that the cards are poop when you move back from the source.....but that's why they make hypers! and the KA500N's (hypers) are some of the best hyper caps out there, IMO. I have yet to put my rig through the schools zone (wsp) so that will tell the tale.
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

DaryanLenz

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2003, 01:19:13 PM »
I think (my opinion)...is that they were overhyped originally as the schoeps replacement if you will, and quite simply, they just are not.  I think they lack the low end detail, have comparable mids (unless you count that collapse thing, but when I used them, they certainly never did such a thing), and sweet highs.  They are fantastic up close, producing some of the sweetest highs known to man!  Back farther, they lack prsence to me, which was my one and only complaint.  I wonder if the hyper caps would help this problem?  That said, if low pro is your thing, you can';t really come that close without forking over another 800 bucks to step up to the schoeps...which seems to be the natural progression these mics make (whether I agree with it or not is a different story ;)!)  All kidding aside, I think they are great mics, and for lowepro, really the only option unless you go up to the skm140's or active schoeps, which is a lot more money.  I liked em!
Oh yeah, if you think the v2->moidsbm combo sounds good, you should check out the mini-me as well!  I might be able to provide some wsp red rocks tapes next week done with mbho 200->v2->mini-me if you are interested from Eric Folske's rig using my mini-me!

Daryan
Daryan

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2003, 06:11:23 PM »
I ran MBHO ka200n/actives/603a > MP-2 > SBM-1 for a little bit and they were great. I really had no complaints, I just seemed to like the Neumann sound much more so I made the switch. If you like the Schoeps sound, but you can't afford them, then the MBHOs are a good alternative.

A guy I know ran CCM4s (FOB) at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley, while I ran  603a/ka200n in the TS behind the board. After listening to both recordings I couldn't tell that much of a difference other then the low end. The CCM4s did have a nicer low end. but overall the highs, mids and vocal clarity sounded a like.

Rick

Retired Taper

busknuckle

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2003, 06:35:04 PM »
thanks guys...+T to all :coolguy:

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2003, 04:28:42 PM »
I don't know if it's a little too late for this, but I have some great recordings from MBHO which are not missing any low end.  They certaintly aren't as "boomy" as the Schoeps, but still create a nice, rich image.
If interested, let me know

Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com