Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Favorite New Microphone Stand  (Read 19677 times)

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
Re: Favorite New Microphone Stand
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2018, 01:35:02 PM »
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll likely go with the original Photek solution as it just seems a little more stable than using the other stand with the Matthews extension pole (although maybe I'm mistaken here).

Either way, does anybody have a good, reasonably priced lead on a bag for carrying said stand?  Quite often, I'm either lugging the stand from a vehicle or taking public transit to a venue so something I can wear over my shoulder would be ideal.  TIA!

I use a bag that a folding camping chair came in. Zero cost...
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2018, 03:11:28 PM »
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll likely go with the original Photek solution as it just seems a little more stable than using the other stand with the Matthews extension pole (although maybe I'm mistaken here).

Either way, does anybody have a good, reasonably priced lead on a bag for carrying said stand?  Quite often, I'm either lugging the stand from a vehicle or taking public transit to a venue so something I can wear over my shoulder would be ideal.  TIA!

I use a bag that a folding camping chair came in. Zero cost...

Yeah, just look around for a ground score after taping outdoors.  People leave them all over the place.  Zero cost is good.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline dynamicalories

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2018, 04:35:13 PM »
Just picked one up from B&H. Seems really sturdy and versatile.

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2018, 05:58:56 PM »

Any drawbacks on the Photek you might have seen? TIA.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline dynamicalories

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2018, 11:18:24 AM »

Not so far, but I'll be using it for a show on Monday and will report back.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2018, 02:21:27 PM »

I have used mine a few times now and the only drawback is that the top section is a little wobbly when fully extended. I don't ever run super high so that's not an issue for me but if you want to use the full height it may be...
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2019, 09:50:39 AM »
Users of the Promaster LS-CT Compact Travel stand and the Photek 3-Section Folding Light Stand: can either of these stands be opened where the legs are at 180 degrees from the vertical extension pole?

My question goes to versatility.  If the legs can be fully opened to parallel with the main extension pole, then I would be able to gaff tape it to my seat at a show (if necessary) rather than opening the legs to less than 180 degrees. 
Basically, is full de-tent position 180 or does it only open to ~150-160 degrees from the vertical extension pole?

In looking for pictures of either stand set up this way (fully open to 180 degrees from the main pole), I find none.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2019, 10:29:22 AM »
Users of the Promaster LS-CT Compact Travel stand and the Photek 3-Section Folding Light Stand: can either of these stands be opened where the legs are at 180 degrees from the vertical extension pole?

My question goes to versatility.  If the legs can be fully opened to parallel with the main extension pole, then I would be able to gaff tape it to my seat at a show (if necessary) rather than opening the legs to less than 180 degrees. 
Basically, is full de-tent position 180 or does it only open to ~150-160 degrees from the vertical extension pole?

In looking for pictures of either stand set up this way (fully open to 180 degrees from the main pole), I find none.

I have the Photek and I just used it the way you describe - legs folded all the way down parallel to the extension section and gaff tapes to ta theater seat arm rest. I realized later that it probably would have been the same if I didn't open the legs at all since I only had to go up to standing head height around 6.5 ft.
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Twenty8

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2019, 12:17:22 PM »

I have the Photek and I just used it the way you describe - legs folded all the way down parallel to the extension section and gaff tapes to ta theater seat arm rest. I realized later that it probably would have been the same if I didn't open the legs at all since I only had to go up to standing head height around 6.5 ft.

Thanks! Good to know.  This feature is the key to my purchase.
I am leaning toward the Promaster, but only for one additional reason: the threaded adapter doesn't look like its sticking out when fully collapsed for travel.
So looking to hear from a Promaster user too.

Both look great for travel.  My girlfriend jams the truck with camera gear.  As small as a footprint as I can have is key for on the road or flying and both these stands seem to fit the bill.

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2019, 12:07:30 AM »

I haven't used the Promaster but from the dimensions it is much smaller when collapsed. It also only goes up to 6.5 feet high which is not enough for me.

One thing to note about the Photek is that the thread on top looks like a regular stud but it does not come out so the top of the stand is permanent 1/4 thread. I didn't realize that so I just picked up some 3/8 adapters at the camera shop.

Offline lmgbtapes

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2019, 04:44:04 PM »
Lil bump- just wanted to say thx for this thread. I have been running the exact micro stand you compared the new stand to in the OP- and this looks like a perfect uprgade for every reason you describe.

Offline Twenty8

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2019, 11:20:08 AM »
Went with the Pat Stand (Photek LS-8122).  Sections with closures that tighten via screws sealed the deal for me.  Its folded/closed bulk is greater than the Promaster LS-CT, but I think that is balanced by possibly not needing an extension for *most* applications.  You can't fly too high, but it seems sturdy.

Measurements from ground to mic bar:
1st de-tent position, where legs are flat and parallel with the ground: ~7 feet
2nd de-tent position with legs in the shaft: 95 1/4" (nearly 8 feet) / with legs extended out of shaft: 105 1/2" or just under 8'10"
3rd de-tent position with legs in the shaft: 104" or 8' 8" / with legs extended out of shaft: 120 1/2" or just a half inch over 10'

3rd de-tent would be the most common position for taping (footprint with a balance of stabilty and mic height) .  20" between the feet with legs in the shaft/ ~32" with legs extended fully.  Obviously adjustable depending on how far you want to extend the legs.  2nd de-tent position is SUPER wide, especially with the legs extended.

Stand also de-tents to fully open for gaff taping to seats.  However it does not lock beyond 3rd de-tent.

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2019, 01:02:32 PM »
Just received one, seems great for the task at hand.  I've been carrying mic stands from my studio that are either far too bulky, or lacking adjustable tripod legs, none of which go so high.  Still waiting on the adapter for the 1/4" lighting stud.  Also grabbed a light stand boom clamp to see about attaching another short boom near the top for more awkward arrays. 

Already had (2) of these weights, got a third which may come in handy with this stand:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/514784-REG/On_Stage_CW_3_Counterweight_3lbs.html/c/product/514784-REG/Counterweight_3lbs

Well, those weights won't fit those legs.  Back to the drawing board on that.  I needed another of those anyway. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 09:40:16 AM by EmRR »
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com