Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-60D - 4 Channel recorder  (Read 111205 times)

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I LIKE FISHIN
Tascam DR-60D - 4 Channel recorder
« on: March 27, 2013, 03:49:02 PM »
This thing looks perfect for a DSLR setup http://tascam.com/product/dr-60d/ but could probably be used for normal taping as well since it doesn't have built in microphones.

Record to SD/SDHC card(Up to 32GB)
    Simultaneously record up to 4 tracks
    Record Mode:MONO, STEREO, DUAL MONO, DUAL ST, 4CH
    Recording format:16/24bit、44.1/48/96kHz (WAV/BWF)
    TASCAM original HDDA microphone preamps
    Recording levels can be adjusted independently for the 1/L, 2/R and 3-4 inputs
    Two XLR/TRS inputs support +4dBu line level input and phantom power supply (24/48V)
    Plug-in power supply and high-output mic input supported on input 3-4
    CAMERA OUT connector for output from the DR-60D's mixer
    CAMERA IN connector for sound monitoring from the Camera
    Independent LINE OUT connector and HEADPHONE output for high-quality sound output
    50mW/ch headphone output
    Tripod mounting threads (bottom) and DSLR screw attachment (top)
    Handles protect the screen and can be used to attach a shoulder strap
    Soft-Touch Rubber Keys for silent operation
    HOLD switch to prevent accidental operation
    A QUICK button is available for easy access to various functions
    128x64 pixel LCD with backlight
    USB 2.0 connection for high-speed transferring
    Mini USB cable included
    Operates on 4 AA batteries, an AC adapter (sold separately) or USB bus power
    Can extend battery life with BP-6AA battery pack (sold separately)
    Dedicated remote control jack for the wired RC-10 remote control or RC-3F footswitch (both sold separately)
    Internal mixer: PAN and LEVEL controls
    Low cut filter(40/80/120Hz)
    Limiter (1/L and 2/R can be selected for link-operation)
    Delay function for distance of microphones adjustments (+/-150ms)
    M-S decode function
    Slate tone generator (AUTO/MANUAL)
    Selectable duration of slate tone from four positions (0.5/1/2/3 sec, when Auto generate)
    Selectable slate tone generate position. 3 positions: OFF/HEAD/HEAD+TAIL, when Auto generate
    File name format can be set to use a user-defined word or date
    Dual recording function allows two files to be recorded simultaneously at different levels
    Auto-record function can automatically start and stop recording at set level
    Pre-recording function allows the unit to record a 2 second sound buffer before recording is activated
    Self timer function for solo recording
    New file starts recording automatically without interruption when maximum file size is reached
    Track incrementing function allows a recording to be split by creating a new file when desired
    Jump back and play function
    Equalizers function for playback, and level alignment function to enhance the perceived overall sound pressure
    Resume function to memorize the playback position before the unit is turned off
    MARK function up to 99 points per audio track
    DIVIDE function

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Tascam DR-60D - 4 Channel recorder
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 04:27:58 PM »
Cool - like half a 680...

and half the price...BP $349 pre-order

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/929347-REG/tascam_dr_60d_4_ch_track_linear_pcm.html

runonce

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
MS decode...does the 680 do that?

runonce

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 04:38:27 PM »
Damn - here our on the fly matrix box!

Delay function for distance of microphones adjustments (+/-150ms)

runonce

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 05:09:31 PM »
Input 3-4 sound like the weak point...sounds like mic in only - assuming that means this is an unbalanced input?

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 05:11:17 PM »
It's an interesting device, even for use as a standalone recorder. I wonder how the quality compares to dr-100.

One thing i don't understand so much: the adjustable output helps to feed the camera with undistorted signal. It means that the audio recorded in the dslr card will come from the tascam. Then we could have another audio file recorded in the Tascam's sd card.  am I wrong?

But, am I missing something or the camera input will affect the signal with a low quality preamp stage and with another a/d conversion through which the signal will forcely pass?

thanks for your opinion

runonce

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 05:21:28 PM »
It's an interesting device, even for use as a standalone recorder. I wonder how the quality compares to dr-100.

One thing i don't understand so much: the adjustable output helps to feed the camera with undistorted signal. It means that the audio recorded in the dslr card will come from the tascam. Then we could have another audio file recorded in the Tascam's sd card.  am I wrong?

But, am I missing something or the camera input will affect the signal with a low quality preamp stage and with another a/d conversion through which the signal will forcely pass?

thanks for your opinion

I think the idea here is to provide a superior audio front end for these cameras.

Since its 4 channel - the line out for the camera, might be a mixdown of the 4 channels...thus making it a unique source as well.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 06:59:31 PM »
It will certainly sell like hot cakes to the target market - I'm tempted... DSLR video quality these days is stunning, sound is another matter.

The video review at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lO1iSh87zo is well worth watching.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 07:15:10 PM by Ozpeter »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 09:26:57 PM »
Funkily-shaped/large R-26
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline krsb

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 02:22:13 AM »
That safety track action would have saved me earlier in this week (nudged my levels way too hot by accident on the last track of a show argh.....)

Very interesting deck!
cb
Busman BCS1, Busman BSCS-L, DPA 4023, Neumann KM 184, KM 183
Lunatec V3, Naiant Midbox
Oade ACM Marantz PMD 661, Sony D50, Tascam DR680
+ lotsa darktrain cables :-)

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 02:56:25 AM »
looks interesting... however Ch 3 & 4 seem to only be 1/8" stereo plug...
why not 1/4" or RCA, or another set of XLR's?

but $349 at B&H is tempting...
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 07:12:23 AM »
The small stereo input is designed for typical camera mics (eg by Rode and Sennheiser) which tend to have that kind of connector.

The safety track is very likely only an attenuation in the digital domain - so if you've overloading at the mic preamp you're just going to get a clipped recording, but at a lower level.  A bit like recording with the R44's inner gain knobs reduced - doesn't actually help matters most of the time.

tomuo

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 03:39:01 PM »
Hi all,  Tom Duffy from TASCAM here to clear up some details:

MS decode...does the 680 do that?

Yes, MS Decode was added to the DR-680 in a firmware update. (V1.20)

Input 3-4 sound like the weak point...sounds like mic in only - assuming that means this is an unbalanced input?
Mic and Line level (-10dBV with 20dB headroom) compatible.  unbalanced because it's a stereo input.  This would be a great way to get audio from a wireless receiver into the DR-60D.

You'd send a mix of the 4 channels to the camera to use as "scratch" audio, for lining up the video with the audio files from the DR-60D in your editing application, or PluralEyes, for example.  The output can be mic or line level to match what your camera takes, so that's where it's important not to distort the camera - nothing to do with distortion in the DR-60D. 

The small stereo input is designed for typical camera mics (eg by Rode and Sennheiser) which tend to have that kind of connector.
Correct, you can plug a video mic straight in, but the 1/8" input also accepts a stereo line level signal as well.

The safety track is very likely only an attenuation in the digital domain - so if you've overloading at the mic preamp you're just going to get a clipped recording, but at a lower level. 
Incorrect, the safety track is attenuated in the analog domain prior to the ADC, it really does save your bacon if an actor was holding back a scream or shouted line that they didn't deliver in rehearsal.

Please come and see the DR-60D at NAB if you have the chance, I'll be there to answer any questions.   Although my main audio forum hang-out is on jwsoundgroup, I will check back here as well.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 04:32:36 PM »
Tom, how many volts of plug in power?
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 05:00:32 PM »
Incorrect, the safety track is attenuated in the analog domain prior to the ADC, it really does save your bacon if an actor was holding back a scream or shouted line that they didn't deliver in rehearsal.

I stand corrected!  Thanks for the clarification, that's very useful to know.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com