Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: XLR Cable Help  (Read 5783 times)

Offline skotdee

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
XLR Cable Help
« on: May 15, 2008, 10:27:50 PM »
Hey folks,

Can anyone recommend some good XLR cables? Im not interested in making them myself, would much rather pay for quality cables from someone who already knows their stuff. Point me in the right direction? Suggestions?

Also should I be looking for right angles? I guess they would help with certain mic configs. Do most people have right angles on both ends, or just the end hooked to the mic.

Thanks!

EDIT: just found this list of folks making them on here posted a couple weeks ago, sorry about that. Still would love some input on the right angle thing though...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 10:33:20 PM by skotdee »

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Texas Tapers
Re: XLR Cable Help
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 10:53:36 PM »
I don't have a preference one way or another on the mike end.  On the preamp or recorder it depends on the configuration in your bag. 
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 10:56:22 PM »
I go rights on both ends and it especially helps on the r4 end when I run matrix but its nice on the mic end for ORTF and DINA.
PEace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 11:02:52 PM »
In most cases it depends on what mics you run and what you keep the rest of your gear in. If you have very short mics (KM184 etc) straight female ends often help get the mic far enough forward in a mount like an AT8410 so you can get a good sized windscreen on whereas a full length mic (Nak 300, AKG480, etc) often benefits from a right angle connector for keeping the cables closer to the stand. On the other end, if you run your pre or all-in-one in a tight bag, right angle male connectors often allow a smaller bag (a Nova 3 or 4 instead of a 5 for instance) to be used. Then you also have the option of custom RA stubbies. If you run with the equipment out of the bag, then straight connectors may be easier to work with. Besides what connectors you want, there is also the matter of what brand, type (material - copper, silver plated copper, two conductor with shield, quad with shield, etc) and size of cable stock is used to fabricate the finished product.

There is no general rule on ends other than use what works well for you and your particular setup.

Of those TS cablemakers linked, any of them can make a set you would have no problems with. As far as prices, turnaround time, etc., get in touch with some of them or post what you're looking to have made and ask for them to send you prices.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 11:06:51 PM by flipp »

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 11:08:37 PM »
The right angle question is really dependent on which mics and preamp/recorder you run.  You're correct in saying that RA on the mic end allows more space to run stereo configs when using a T bar.  Remember that if you put right angles on the preamp side, you may not be able to use the cables with other input jacks if they are too close together.  I ran into this problem when I tried to use my RA shortys with a borrowed SD mp2.

Edit: flipp beat me to it.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 10:15:50 AM »
several RA options to choose from, weather you are ordering from a source online, in a store...or from our own ts.com cable freaks.

Neutrik has two.  the old style, which is smaller. 

and the new XX style, which is larger, but thinner.  they fit in just about anything w/o issue where as the older original style have trouble fitting side by side on some inputs.

Switchcrafts RA XLR is really nice, but large.

but they also have smaller ones (which I believe are made by Hosa)

Hosas are very light and small, but not adjustable

all (or most) of the custom cable folks make the chopped right angle XLRs, ultimate in bag-space-saving environments
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 10:21:03 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 10:48:19 AM »
Very informative Nick, thanks! So to get a little more detailed, I'll be running a UA-5 vertically in a Nova bag. Which type would you suggest I use? Also I'll be running SP-C4's at first, and hopefully soon upgrading to AKG 480's, both mounted to a shure vert bar. Would you recommend the right angles for the mic ends as well and if so again, which type?

Thanks folks! Im getting this close to 50 posts, soon there will be tix for all the fine folks who have helped me so far!

Offline leehookem

• Texas Tapers
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 10:57:05 AM »
When I had my UA5 (in a Nova), I ran with the right angle Neutriks.
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 11:02:11 AM »
When I ran the UA-5, I had RA on the mic end & straight on the pre end.  I don't really see the advantage of RA's into the UA-5, but YMMV.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 11:11:43 AM »
I run RA on the pre end.  On the mic end I prefer straight.  They work better with a variety of mics, LD, SD's.... 

The biggest reason is for cable noise.  With the RA it is too diffucult to put a loop of cable for transmission relief.  A shockmount wont work properly with a RA connector...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 12:35:26 PM »
When I ran the UA-5, I had RA on the mic end & straight on the pre end.  I don't really see the advantage of RA's into the UA-5, but YMMV.
i ran both, i liked ra mbetter because my bag was set up so that the top of the ua5 was almost the exact "top" of the bag, so with ra i could close the lid of the mova and zip the one zipper all the way around to the corner
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »
i ran both, i liked ra mbetter because my bag was set up so that the top of the ua5 was almost the exact "top" of the bag, so with ra i could close the lid of the mova and zip the one zipper all the way around to the corner
Me to and my bag was a Nova 5 in case you are interested in knowing.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 01:46:14 PM »
When I had my UA5 (in a Nova), I ran with the right angle Neutriks.

Same here, that is one thing I hated about the UA-5 was how the input jacks were in the front.  I really prefer the jacks on the rear, like a V3 or a mini-me/mini-mp.  Also is was sometimes difficult to get a hold on the gain knobs if using the large Neutrik RA connectors.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 06:53:25 PM »
I like RA's on the ua5, but they all work.
the RA's allow for a tighter fit when space is an issue.  of course, chopped Xlrs will be the smallest.
they all fit though.  if going factory, I love the new XX's.

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 11:31:18 PM »
Just hit 50 posts, makin my rounds, +T for all your help, thanks everyone!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com