Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 157490 times)

Offline Chrysler

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2017, 05:27:05 PM »
i inquired the developers why i can not record in 24 bit with USB audio recorder pro and that's the explaination:

>     Thank you for contacting us. The app is primarily meant to record and
>     playback from/to a USB audio interface. The Android playback option is
>     more of a 'fallback' option if the USB audio device does not offer
>     playback. In that case, the app only offers 16-bit playback.

Did you try using a different piece of software?  I got 24/96 with USB Audio Recorder Pro on Samsung Galaxy Tab S3.  The software you mentioned that you were using has a description that says it is limited to 16 bit 44.1 kHz.

Jeff

I use USB Audio Recorder Pro, but it will only let me select 16 bit 44.1 as output. don't know why :/
DPA 4060/4061/4081/4011/4015/4018  > Tascam DR-10L Pro | Zoom F-3 | DPA MMP-GR/GS > DPA D:VICE > iphone 12 mini

Offline Chrysler

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2017, 03:31:01 PM »
oh no, i recored nick cave this sunday with usb audio recorder pro and the app just stopped recording when 2 GB file size were reached :O
DPA 4060/4061/4081/4011/4015/4018  > Tascam DR-10L Pro | Zoom F-3 | DPA MMP-GR/GS > DPA D:VICE > iphone 12 mini

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2017, 08:54:44 AM »
oh no, i recored nick cave this sunday with usb audio recorder pro and the app just stopped recording when 2 GB file size were reached :O

Okay, this is truly weird.  I ran a test last night with the d:vice and USB Audio Recorder PRO latest paid version on my Samsung T3 tablet, Android 7.  I ran it 4-5 hours at 24/96, power down to 55% (but screen lit the whole time).  I got four 2 Gig files plus one smaller file, no issue I could see with the splits.

Speaking with the DPA folks at AES last week, who told me that the d:vice has been used at 192k and higher by some users, with some equipment.  The USB Audio Recorder Pro sheet says it can go as high as 192k, with some Android devices.  When I went to set sample rates in the USB app (from the I/O tab on the main page) it only allowed me to go to 96k, I assume this is a limitation of the Samsung tablet, or maybe all android devices with the DPA d:vice.  I hope to experiment a bit next week with my laptop to see if I can get 192k or higher, not that I ever plan to record that high but just to see what the limits of the d:vice are.

If I can get my hands on a Sony phone (not widely available here, and not compatible with my Verizon service) I'll test it (but don't hold your breath).

Jeff
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 09:47:56 AM by WiFiJeff »

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #138 on: November 04, 2017, 05:01:34 PM »
HELP! My pair of 4060's are terminated in a single 1/8". Can someone here reterminate them with these Micro Dot connectors? Or, does someone sell an adapter?

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2017, 10:29:05 PM »
HELP! My pair of 4060's are terminated in a single 1/8". Can someone here reterminate them with these Micro Dot connectors? Or, does someone sell an adapter?
send them to DPA in Colorado...

Hth
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2017, 06:32:41 AM »
^^ I would try to trade them for a pair with microdots in the Yardsale.  Seems like there is always someone looking to go the other way.  Or even sell them and buy another pair with the 'dots.  I am sure you can get a cable made, but, personally, I would want to get rid of the 1/8" connection and have only the locking connectors.

Sending them to DPA is also a good idea, but I doubt it will be cheap...

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2017, 08:35:19 AM »
Third / fourth options:

You or a TS cable maker could do it without special microdot tools in one of two ways by purchasing a cable terminated with male microdots from here and cutting it in half - http://www.cdint.com/catalog/category/Cables/10-32/to+10-3-

Use the two cable halves to either build a stereo female minijack > 2 X male microdot "Y" cable adapter (which doesn't eliminate the stereo minijack connection) OR chop off the existing stereo miniplug and splice to the male microdot terminated cables.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2017, 09:58:19 AM »
Have a new Android phone (LG V30) and ran a quick preliminary test with USB Audio Recorder Pro,  it seems to do 24/96 fine, but I have not tested it with an extrended recording or looked to see what frequencies are really there.  I do note that in this app PLAYBACK is limited to 16 bits, but recording I/O tab lets me set 96/24 just as the Samsung tablet does.

I have been running the d:vice with iPhone 6S+ extensively now, and it is a nice step up in sound (and reduction of mass and complexity) from both the MMA6000 > Sony D50 and the Church Ugly > Sony M10.  Main issues are the time to transfer files (CAF) by WiFi (I found it goes much faster when I leave the iPhone right next to my router), and keeping the Rode recording app from changing my volume settings.

Jeff

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2017, 01:50:35 PM »
Kick it down to 24/48 WiFiJeff, and you might solve that file transfer time issue.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #144 on: November 09, 2017, 01:03:00 AM »
Another sample:

https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/fZCUNncMTK

Love this d:vice.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #145 on: November 09, 2017, 08:45:05 AM »
That sounds outstanding Jeff.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #146 on: November 09, 2017, 09:19:10 AM »
That sounds outstanding Jeff.

Thanks.  I'm finding the mechanics of using this also easier and more reliable than other setups, fewer things to go wrong (cables, batteries, separate pre-amps etc.).  I am even trying to replace some of my 4 track efforts with just a DPA 4081 pair and some frequency EQing, in some cases it has worked well.

Jeff

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #147 on: December 20, 2017, 11:32:16 PM »
Hi folks. Well, I got my pair of 4060's reterminated and bought the D:Vice.

Ran into a bit of a snag with my iPhone 6+. the Rode app isn't accessible. By accessible, I mean it doesn't work well with Voiceover, the screenreader build into iOS that we blind folks use to navigate.  Which other apps should I try? 

Does the Shure Motiv app split files automatically at 2GB or whatever? I need to turn this thing on, 24/48, and just let it run without worry or needing to start new files or anything.

The D:vice app is accessible, in case other blind folks come across this post - I just need to find a suitable recording app.

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2017, 09:12:55 AM »
Metarecorder works but Im not sure whether it splits files
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2017, 10:58:49 AM »
Well, I pulled the trigger on an early xmas gift. Looking forward to playing around with this next week to see what app(s) works with my 6s.

Perhaps we could sticky/edit a list of functional apps for this unit to the first post on page 1?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com