Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 157516 times)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2017, 06:43:15 PM »
Usually I tape piano using four channels, main pair of DPA 4081s (hypercardioid) with bass added from a pair of 4060s into a DR-2D.  So this omni-only run with the d:vice is for me not an optimal test, but the best opportunity for me until October.  I was close to the piano, but room acoustics not optimal.  I hope it gives some idea of what the DPA4060 > d:vice MMA-A > iPhone 6s can do at 24/96.

https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/An1XxGGZyF

The Rode Recorder has some quirks.  You have to load the DPA app before opening the recorder and keep it running in the background, or the Rode app will change levels I think, at least according to the readings on the DPA app.  And WiFi to my computer takes a while.  But I am reasonably happy with the results.  I started the recording well ahead of the start of the recital, it ran 3 hours and 20 minutes with the iPhone battery going from 100% to 80%,  so I figure I could record 15-16 hours with no other power source needed (will check out sometime what the drain is if using DPA4006 or 4011 with their active microdot cabling).  This is with wifi turned off and the screen allowed to go dark.

Opinions on the results for d:vice A/D and preamps welcomed (though I don't really care if you think it would be just as good at 44.1/16, see above and countless other threads).

Jeff

uneducated feedback

Playback of sample foobar WAPSI > Grace M902 >ATH-M50

I cranked it and thought it was quiet. I didnt hear any noise that i thought was mechanical. I thought there was some really nice extension. Extremely impressed with what i am hearing from this setup.  I dont think it was "colored" but I have to admit to not being terribly familiar with these mics.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline tnelson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2017, 11:57:12 AM »
I was close to the piano, but room acoustics not optimal.  I hope it gives some idea of what the DPA4060 > d:vice MMA-A > iPhone 6s can do at 24/96.

Very impressive recording and playing! Would you please describe in a little more detail where you placed the 4060 pair relative to the piano? How close, how high, etc.? Amazing how clean this pocket recording system sounds.
Tim

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2017, 12:39:11 PM »
THx for the legwork on this, wifijeff. Does the rode app do 2496 out of the box, so to speak..?
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2017, 10:30:34 PM »
The 4060s were in a croakie, I was seated near the tail of the piano front row.  The stage was raised, so I would estimate I was about 8 feet away out from the end of the piano and slightly below (maybe 1-2 feet) the top of the tail .  The room was not a concert room but had small tables in a boxy (but largish) room (but good views of the city). 

The Rode app has a settings page to choose sample rate and mono/stereo.  With the d:vice attached, you are offered up to 96kHz, but with just the iPhone mic you're offered only up to 48kHz.  As I said, when the recording is ended, you are offered formats for saving it, if it runs over 4GB it only offers CAF for uncompressed.  Shorter files can be saved as WAV.  I am avoiding touching the two ways to set levels in Rode Recording because it can, under some circumstances, change the d:vice levels.  My settings were low to be conservative until I get a better feel for the gear, and I boosted by 8dB in post.

Jeff

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2017, 05:29:52 PM »
Just did my inaugural run with the d:vice yesterday. Pretty easy to use, though I can't for the life of me figure out why DPA's own app doesn't just have a "record" function.

How did you get the Rode app to record from anything but a Rode IXY? That seemed to be the only thing it wanted plugged in when I tried it. I ended up using the Shure Motiv app that comes with the Share MV88. Worked great.

the d:vice does seem to be a power hog, though. In airplane mode it took my iPhone 7 from 50% battery to 5% in about 3 hours of use.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2017, 07:15:04 PM »
Just did my inaugural run with the d:vice yesterday. Pretty easy to use, though I can't for the life of me figure out why DPA's own app doesn't just have a "record" function.

How did you get the Rode app to record from anything but a Rode IXY? That seemed to be the only thing it wanted plugged in when I tried it. I ended up using the Shure Motiv app that comes with the Share MV88. Worked great.

the d:vice does seem to be a power hog, though. In airplane mode it took my iPhone 7 from 50% battery to 5% in about 3 hours of use.

I got the iPhone 6S Plus for its bigger battery, but unless the % life it gives is skewed I can't imagine how the phone could run down that fast.  I do let the screen go dark so I have to key in the password  to reopen it, the recording goes on anyway and I found great battery life with 4060 mics, which mics are you using?  Could the Shure app be doing anything (mp3ing, processing) in the background to drain battery?  Or does it keep the screen lit?  One great advantage of the screen off etc is that you can't accidentally turn off or change anything while it's recording.

I set the d:vice levels with the DPA app and then just loaded in the Rode app, it ran fine.  You have to enable external mics in the app, but it doesn't seem toi insist on Rodes or any of the others listed as compatible.  You just have to buy the app, which I guess comes free with the Rode mics.  Can the Shure app be purchased without the hardware?

I agree that DPA should have included recording software in its app, should have been easy enough to do.

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2017, 07:26:29 PM »
Shure motiv app is free but I wasn't aware it worked without a Shure motiv mic. :shrug:

Offline Chrysler

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2017, 02:25:43 PM »
i made a continuous 110 Minute Recording last week using the D:Vice and a Pair of DPA 4018 Capsules (with USB Audio Recorder using my Sony Xperia XZ Premium Smartphone).
I started recording with 90% battery capacity and when i was done the phone was down to just 80%.
I thought i didn't record at all, but it did. :O
DPA 4060/4061/4081/4011/4015/4018  > Tascam DR-10L Pro | Zoom F-3 | DPA MMP-GR/GS > DPA D:VICE > iphone 12 mini

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2017, 07:31:36 PM »
How did the sound come out?  The 4018s are full size HyperCard caps, how do they sound on music?  I assume you were using the MMP-GR or GS cables.

Jeff

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2017, 06:51:31 AM »
The 4060s were in a croakie, I was seated near the tail of the piano front row.  The stage was raised, so I would estimate I was about 8 feet away out from the end of the piano and slightly below (maybe 1-2 feet) the top of the tail .  The room was not a concert room but had small tables in a boxy (but largish) room (but good views of the city). 

Jeff,

Very nice recording, and the Bach was very nicely played.  Sounds like you made yourself into a modified Decca Tail array!

What model piano is this?  It doesn't scream Steinway D to my ears, but that could be the room.

As to the d:vice - Yet another cool product that us Android people can't have!  I'm hoping that once all Android phones have moved over to USB-C that will change.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2017, 07:58:23 AM »
The Sony phone Chrysler is using is Android (but won't work on the Verizon network for me).  I asked DPA if this was doable without possible issues somewhere down the road, since they don't claim Android compatibility, but they haven't answered that one.

I believe the piano that night was a Yamaha, but they had Steinways for other events this month.

Jeff

Offline dunebug81

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2017, 04:17:02 PM »
Anyone find a better price than the $560ish that Sweetwater is selling it for. 

Also has there been a consensus on what software is best?  I'm currently running DPA4061 > MMA6000 > M10 @ 24/48.  Looking to change that to 4061 > MMA-A > iphone/ipod touch. 

I hardly ever see any shows that run more than 2 hours so the 4GB limit really would never be an issue.  The auto/seemless split feature would be really nice since every once in a while it would come in handy.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 04:43:24 PM by dunebug81 »
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline Chrysler

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2017, 04:19:51 PM »
How did the sound come out?  The 4018s are full size HyperCard caps, how do they sound on music?  I assume you were using the MMP-GR or GS cables.

Jeff

not good (super bassy). i had them just hanging out of a bag that was standing right behind a huge PA.
this was primarily thought as test if i could just hit the record button and everything would go without me having to adjust anything (phone wont go out, battery will last sine my KORG-MR2 tends to switch itself off etc).
DPA 4060/4061/4081/4011/4015/4018  > Tascam DR-10L Pro | Zoom F-3 | DPA MMP-GR/GS > DPA D:VICE > iphone 12 mini

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2017, 02:16:51 PM »
DPA just updated the app and d:vice firmware.  The main change is a way to sum both channels to mono (yawn) but also unspecified "bug fixes." 

Jeff

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2017, 11:37:19 AM »
Been using his with the røde app @ 2496

Pretty cool stuff. Not sure what I would do if the levels were too hot, as it doesn't seem to let me change levels in the dpa app when I am recording. Also the meters in the dpa app are frozen when recording using the røde app, so it would be tough to adjust, anyway...

Has anyone else gotten a quick glitch when recording? I have gotten one each time I have used the setup. Don't know if my iPod is choking, if storage is scattered (no defraying an iPod), if I f'd it up checking things,  or what... barely noticeable, and a cross fade/pencil tool gets rid of it, but still...

Anyway, here is a sample result; would love to know what you folks think...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com