Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: External HD backup  (Read 2101 times)

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
External HD backup
« on: March 11, 2019, 02:18:45 PM »
I have two 1TB external HD's that I use. One is my primary storage device (besides my laptop's HD) and the other is a backup of the primary external. When I backup external 1 to external 2, I basically delete everything on external 2, then copy it all over from external 1, using a second computer. I'm thinking that might not be the best way. What do you recommend? I have a Win8 laptop. I'm planning on getting a new 2TB (or larger) external, but this is what I have for now. Thanks!

"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: External HD backup
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 02:45:46 PM »
I use https://www.goodsync.com for all my backups.  You set up backup jobs and the software compares both sides and will only add anything new or changed.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 03:27:08 PM »
Robocopy is very easy.  Comes with Windows, and can be run from the command line.  I have a default command I use that I can post here if you're interested (it's saved to a text file on my home machine).
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 09:39:55 AM »
Robocopy is very easy.  Comes with Windows, and can be run from the command line.  I have a default command I use that I can post here if you're interested (it's saved to a text file on my home machine).

That would be helpful. My command line days are long gone.
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 10:31:28 AM »

That would be helpful. My command line days are long gone.

Code: [Select]
Robocopy Q:\Music R:\Music /MIR /Z /V
The first directory (Q:\Music in my example) is the source and the second is the destination.  If the name of your directory has a space in it you'll need to use quotes like this:

Code: [Select]
Robocopy "Q:\Live Music" "R:\Live Music" /MIR /Z /V
/MIR makes the destination a mirror of the source, so it will delete stuff that isn't present or the same as in the source.  /Z runs it in restartable mode (I've never needed to restart it though).  /V is verbose output...that can easily be omitted (I like seeing it scroll through all the directories though, but that's mostly so I can feel like I'm in the Matrix).  Here's a full list of commands and such: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/robocopy
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 11:09:37 AM »
I've been using WinMerge to compare multiple backup disks of my primary music drive to make sure I didn't miss anything. Works great, and it's fast (if you just compare by Size, otherwise it compares actual content which takes a looong time w/ about 250 GB!).
Can d/l it from sourceforge.net.
retired

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com