Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The most important part of a stealth rig: The hat!  (Read 2631 times)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
The most important part of a stealth rig: The hat!
« on: April 09, 2004, 11:30:28 PM »
Ok folks!  I bought tix to see Nelly Furtado at Town Hall in NYC and would like to know what kind of hat should i use to clip my mics (if possible).   This venue is quite easy to get the rig in (no pat down, no wand) and having ORCH seating, it will make my job a bit tougher to stealth (compared to having loge seating...which apparently are all sold out)...so the question is:  

What kind of hat should i buy in which i can clip the mics inside securely (i always see remarks about kangol hats).  Second, how should i run the cables?  I was thinking of converting one of my polo shirts (ie.  cut holes in strategic spots) to run the cables thru the inside of the collar down my back to my gut to the preamp/recorder.   I was just thinking of clipping the mics to the inside of my collar, aiming outward...anyone try this with success?

Any thoughts/diagrams/escape routes appreciated!

;D
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re:The most important part of a stealth rig: The hat!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 02:23:44 PM »
I tried the shirt collar idea a while ago and found that my shirt collar would rub the mics more then when I had them on my shoulders.I didnt have it tight (the collar I mean) so it wasnt that. Also, for the record, I was being ballsy and ran an inverted DIN config (instead of pointing outward, they pointed inward) and the tape turned out great except for the noise produced by the shirt. So the mics could hide further in my collar then sitting on top of them pointed outward.

I do recomend using a dark color shirt, that matches the mic colors, and if you do use the hat idea (which I have no experience in, all my hats do not yeild well to puting mics in them... stupid fedoras) then get some dark croakies to attach to you (if you dont wear any, fake) glasses. Works like a charm. Also beware, that some people might hassle you for wearin a hat through a performance. Dunno the crowd at a Furtado show so you're in the know on that one better then I am, but I saw it happen at a BB King show I went to.

Good luck.

-- Page

PS: Is DIN naturally pointed outward or inward? I get confused sometimes. I know that ORTF is outward, and XY is rather irrelevent since they are right there, but I forget with DIN.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline George

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 07:59:38 PM »
Thanks for the comments, i'm totally clueless to mic configs myself.  I think i'll try the collar for once and see how it turns out, i better request some clips though, because my new soundpro mics (at943's) didn't come with them.  The venue i'm going to is all seating, i've never been to a Nelly Furtado show, so i'm clueless as to her typical audience.  My noggin' is just too darn large for a regular baseball cap.  

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline jkoch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 08:11:51 PM »
don't use the collar, it comes out like shit IMO. get a black trucker cap. cut very tiny slits in the mesh near the top. clip the mics on that so they sit inside between your head and the cap. wear the cap backwards obviously. cable runs down the back under the bill (and can be totally hidden by a hoodie or something) through your shirt into batt box in back pocket. wire from batt box runs to recorder in front pocket, pocket of hoodie. i personally use a beanie instead of a trucker cap. more fashionable, less obvious, and works just as well if not better IMO.
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2004, 10:15:15 PM »
sorry ... i couldn't resist  ;D

ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

Offline George

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2004, 10:48:38 PM »
sorry ... i couldn't resist  ;D

Smart ass!  I bet i could get away with that in NYC.

:o

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.163 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com