Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Are preamps for pu$$ies?  (Read 30503 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Are preamps for pu$$ies?
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2008, 01:06:19 PM »
historically ive always run my ad2k righ tup to -1 as well, but now that i compare it, i cant hear a difference when peaking at much lower levels.

if youre trying not to do any post at all, of course higher levels will always sound better
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2008, 01:41:21 PM »
   When I moved to 24 bit when I went to the 7 series recorder, I kinda had to tighten up my post-recording game out of necessity.   I have been playing around with my buddy's masters of Davis Gilmour he stealthed at Radio City.  He was running full body mk4's >744 from the lower level balcony (DFC, by the way) and ran the levels low and sfae, to prevent messing with it and getting busted.

I used Soundforge 7.0, and pumped the levels in the volume control to like -2 @ 24 bit then dithered to 16 and these disc sound amazing...zero hiss, nice high's and lows.
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

thepassionofyonder

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2008, 02:50:43 PM »
i wonder what mike grace would think of this thread?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2008, 04:33:16 PM »
i would never call grace a pussy, thats for sure!

im sure he would agree with john siau's excellent technical assessment, that in the case of concert taping with an AD wit a very low noise floor, it really does not have any drawbacks.

just wait till you guys see the rig i have in the works ;). having a hard time keeping it to myself

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 04:46:00 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2008, 04:58:12 PM »

im sure he would agree with john siau's excellent technical assessment, that in the case of concert taping with an AD wit a very low noise floor, it really does not have any drawbacks.

just wait till you guys see the rig i have in the works ;). having a hard time keeping it to myself

Um speaking of PREAMPS :) Your parts came in today YOUR new preamp will be shipped out next week  ;)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline taylordb

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2008, 05:28:36 PM »
Oh, burn  ;D

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2008, 06:41:45 PM »
that preamp is not part of the new rig.

thanks for the update, chris!

Um speaking of PREAMPS :) Your parts came in today YOUR new preamp will be shipped out next week  ;)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2008, 07:02:35 PM »

ZING ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2008, 08:52:05 PM »

Not a problem. Thank you for your purchase. I hope you enjoy your new preamp. I am sure your mics will work very well with it.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2008, 03:11:37 AM »
looking forward to it

4V>cmr>ca-ugly>mod-sbm

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2008, 01:01:27 AM »
I think this all boils down to this: How do we store sound waves in state as accurately as possible to the original sound waves and be able to play these back in the original form?  Which is impossible at present as it is not possible to record all possible entities (sound w in the original environment at the exact point in time and space and in even close representation (a constant stream of differences) - maybe quantum physics will bridge this gap :)

So it is all up to best guesses and reproductions.  MP3 bad; Analog can offset some; tubes/transformers can offset some; pure interpretation impossible at present.   

What I am saying is reducing the amount of processing/coloring/interpretation in the middle is great (i.e. no preamp) as long as you know what your reducing.  But maybe in some cases pre-amp coloration offsets the lack of our ability to accurately reproduce the original sound image into a more comfortable representation of the original.

Long night - ok I need to go to sleep now :)
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2008, 08:07:33 PM »
Are preamps for pu$$ies?

If so get my maxi pad ready. I'm about to start.  ;)
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline taylordb

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2008, 11:33:03 PM »
Are preamps for pu$$ies?

If so get my maxi pad ready. I'm about to start.  ;)

:lol: :lol:

Offline chris319

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2008, 02:07:09 AM »
Sorry for jumping into this thread late, but I was discussing this very subject with my brother just a few weeks ago.

Since reading this thread I did some casual empirical testing. When plugging a dynamic mic directly into the (balanced) line input of a sound card and normalizing the level, the background noise/hiss is pretty gnarly. Running the mic through a preamp at unity gain is just as bad. Adding just a small amount of gain from a mic preamp, say 20 - 30 dB, makes the recording much quieter. Anything above 30 dB of preamp gain brings up the noise floor in the analog domain (which is to be expected) and doesn't buy you anything you can't get through normalizing. I don't understand the theory behind the 20 - 30 dB sweet spot. Maybe it is the difference between the dynamic range at 24 bits (144 dB) and the noise floor of my sound card (144 - 30 = 114 dB). My sound card is an EMU 1212m. After some preliminary testing I made some recordings with a Sennheiser MD421 at a distance of 12". With only 20 - 30 dB of preamp gain the levels were really low before normalizing, but after normalizing the noise was no worse than if I had brought up the gain of the preamp.

One advantage of this approach is that you have tons of headroom. Clearly it works best at 24 bits.

Offline chris319

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2008, 01:12:03 PM »
The published specs for the sound card give +6 dBV as the maximum input and 120 dB A-weighted for the SNR. So that puts the sound card's noise floor at -114 dBV?

I don't see how you arrive at 26 dB. If the preamp's input noise is -120 dBV, 26 dB of gain brings it up to -94 dBV. Adding 6 dB of gain would bring the preamp's noise up to -114, the sound card's noise floor.

The 114 dB I originally gave as the dynamic range of my sound card was but a lucky guess.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com