Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping of the SBD...  (Read 6387 times)

Offline Nielsen81

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Taping of the SBD...
« on: March 14, 2016, 04:06:22 PM »
Hi guys.

Now, this is not something I intend to try, but I always wondered how anyone got away with taping from the SBD, when they weren't invited to tape a show.
An example is Nirvana's show at Roseland Ballroom, New York, 07/23/1993, where the rumor goes that some guy made the recording (the source is incomplete) by stealth from the SBD.

So is it really possible, and how would it be done, without anyone noticing (the SBD area is always surrounded by a small fence, right)?

Looking forward to read your answers :)
Nielsen
Have you taped a Nirvana show or do you know anyone who has? Then please contact me or go to LiveNirvana.com

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
Re: Taping of the SBD...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 04:20:13 PM »
Next to impossible these days...

Even harder now that most big venues will have digital boards.

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 04:57:39 PM »
I think most here would agree that we don't want to piss of the audio staff by messing with their gear. If you go plugging into someone else's board without permission and they catch you you pretty much deserve whatever you get and then some. Some bad things can happen when you plug into a live board even if you plug into the right place let alone the wrong place. It does not reflect well on amateur taping in general so just don't.

But yeah, it is possible perhaps if you figured out where they were rolling a recording and there were RCA outs in the back you might find good levels and not blow anything up. Again, I might look at this and think "I could probably poach a recording from right there" but not actually do it.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 12:41:08 AM »
In the old days (now, unfortunately, including the 90's) it was usually an "inside job." Someone working for a production company or the local place that rents the venue the backline, or some random member of the crew; someone who knows his way around a FOH or Monitor world, runs a pair cables out of a EQ or out of the passthrough on an amp, not usually out of the board itself. A small DAT deck was ideal.

But now that everything is digital....
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 02:15:49 AM »
But now that everything is digital....

......you just plug your laptop into the usb output :-)
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 02:07:42 PM »
In the 80's and into the 90's I became friends with several club and theater sound engineers/production people/venue owners that appreciated live music enough to know it was worth archiving for the future. Back then there was no internet distribution (or really even internet for the most part) so the only real worry was something getting out and being bootlegged.

I had a verbal agreement with the folks that gave me these soundboard patches that I'd not share or trade any of it for at least 20 years. And for the most part those commitments were kept. I would trade some of it with a few very trusted friends that had similar arrangements at other venues and other cities. And we all trusted each other enough to keep it close. I can only recall one soundboard I ever made that was bootlegged onto CD.

Over the years I filled boxes and boxes with cassette, DAT and PCM soundboard masters, many of which are just recently getting converted and starting to see the light of day.

But to put it in context, these were not arena and stadium shows, mostly bands on their way up or on their way back down. In your Nirvana example, it was probably easier to get a soundboard from a show like that then you might expect. If it were a punk or some other underground band playing I would typically just ask them and 90% of the time they'd say yes, record however you want.

Offline bonghitwillie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 02:50:57 PM »
small venues are always best. some sound people will hook you up no questions asked. always have xlr, 1/4" and rca ready to go. make it easy for them. i usually asked them to put the volume at 50%, because the signal is usually very hot. bring headphones and a pad. feeds can be uneven in small venues. loud instruments might be low in the mix.  some sound people say ask the band. others say must have advance permission and must get there before doors open. at some events with press they will have a mult box you can hook into.
alot of venues have assisted listening systems. this is lo-fi sbd. 1/8" out.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 01:48:04 PM »
In the 80's and into the 90's I became friends with several club and theater sound engineers/production people/venue owners that appreciated live music enough to know it was worth archiving for the future. Back then there was no internet distribution (or really even internet for the most part) so the only real worry was something getting out and being bootlegged.

I had a verbal agreement with the folks that gave me these soundboard patches that I'd not share or trade any of it for at least 20 years. And for the most part those commitments were kept. I would trade some of it with a few very trusted friends that had similar arrangements at other venues and other cities. And we all trusted each other enough to keep it close. I can only recall one soundboard I ever made that was bootlegged onto CD.

Over the years I filled boxes and boxes with cassette, DAT and PCM soundboard masters, many of which are just recently getting converted and starting to see the light of day.

But to put it in context, these were not arena and stadium shows, mostly bands on their way up or on their way back down. In your Nirvana example, it was probably easier to get a soundboard from a show like that then you might expect. If it were a punk or some other underground band playing I would typically just ask them and 90% of the time they'd say yes, record however you want.

Any chance these were the Rockefellers and the place in Minneapolis?  I believe that was the source of the Pretenders Show from the Chestnut Cabaret in Philly too. 

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 03:17:45 PM »
I think most here would agree that we don't want to piss of the audio staff by messing with their gear. If you go plugging into someone else's board without permission and they catch you you pretty much deserve whatever you get and then some. Some bad things can happen when you plug into a live board even if you plug into the right place let alone the wrong place. It does not reflect well on amateur taping in general so just don't.

But yeah, it is possible perhaps if you figured out where they were rolling a recording and there were RCA outs in the back you might find good levels and not blow anything up. Again, I might look at this and think "I could probably poach a recording from right there" but not actually do it.

I cannot count the times that a line would drop from the tower at Dead shows
Usually it was a singer's foldback send

Them days is gone, brothers and sisters.

"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 05:04:47 PM »
As already noted, lots of sound guys record everything they mix, even if they don't ask permission. Sometimes that stuff gets out. There are ways to surreptitiously stick a cable into something, but for all the reasons noted I wouldn't do it. With a digital board, you will get no signal from an out unless the engineer sends it, so that eliminates most house boards. For analog boards, you can certainly try and sneak up with a cable, but that is an extremely uncool move and will likely result in a crappy recording anyway.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 07:45:07 AM »

Any chance these were the Rockefellers and the place in Minneapolis?  I believe that was the source of the Pretenders Show from the Chestnut Cabaret in Philly too.
I lived near Philly back then and what I refer to above was all Philly or thereabouts, no Minneapolis connection at all. As far as the Pretenders Chestnut master, that was mine and the only master of that show, taped onto a Maxell XLI, a bit substandard for the time but somehow that's what I had at hand that night. I was told about that show just a couple hours before it happened.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 09:41:21 AM »
Good job on that one Billydee.  I had heard stories of a secret PCM at both Rockefellars in Houston and the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis.  A bunch of those are floating around but not all of them likely ever made it out.

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 10:52:55 AM »
Good job on that one Billydee.  I had heard stories of a secret PCM at both Rockefellars in Houston and the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis.  A bunch of those are floating around but not all of them likely ever made it out.
Well, we did have my PCM equipment in the rack at one unnamed venue for a couple months once. Otherwise we had to drag those anchors around with us!
My PCM's are just about all transferred now thanks to some fine fellas in Philly.

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 11:14:17 AM »
My PCM's are just about all transferred now thanks to some fine fellas in Philly.

...sending you some more transfers tonight.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 12:42:39 PM »

...sending you some more transfers tonight.

Copy me on those haha.  Yes, we all know the Philly Crew.  Enjoyed my time hanging with them a few months back.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com