Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Neumann actives DIN with STH-100 mount  (Read 11647 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Neumann actives DIN with STH-100 mount
« on: August 13, 2003, 10:32:54 PM »
Want to run your KM140 (or KM150) actives in DIN config but can't with the stock actives XY/ORTF mount (STH-100)?  Think again!!

I played around a bit with the Neumann actives XY/ORTF mount (part#here) and here's what I came up with:

[1]  place the 1st XY bar mic-clip DOWN in the bar
[2]  place the ORTF bar mic-clips UP in the bar
[3]  place the 2nd XY bar mic-clip UP in the bar

The 2nd XY bar won't fit in the grooves of the mount base, allowing it to rotate freely when you loosen the screw cap.  This is good.

To run ORTF - just like normal.

To run XY - just like normal, only the 2nd XY mount isn't within the grooves of the mount base.  No big deal, it's plenty easy to line it up.

To run DIN - Slide the bottom XY bar within the mount grooves so the mic clip is as far away from the center of the mount as it will go.  Mount the cap so it's facing the outside of the bar's arc (opposite how you would for XY).  Mount the other cap in the top XY bar (the one free of the mount grooves) and slide it out as far from the mounting screw as possible and rotate it until it forms a 90º angle with the cap in the bottom XY bar.  If I recall, the caps are practically dead-on spaced at 20cm (or was it 17cm).  Nice thing is, you can open or close the angle as necessary depending on room issues.

The only real issue:  the top of the mount rotates through around 180º on an axis.  Normally, this axis is perpendicular to the soundstage and allows you to angle the mics up and down.  The mic caps set up in DIN are in a different plane than the mount base rotates.  What this means is that it's not easy to angle the mics up or down using the mount base itself.  But I always just rotated the A20S shockmount if I wanted to angle the mics up or down.

Does this makes sense?  It's kinda confusing thinking about it without having the mount in front of me.

If anyone has the STH-100 mount and can take a pic and post it here, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks to Joe W for the pics.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 09:22:30 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline gruven42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Neumann actives DIN with STH-100 mount
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 09:42:21 AM »
I measured the caps to be 18cm apart using this method, which is between DIN and DINA.
RIP, my taping career: 10/10/2003-10/6/2007

140/LC3 / MP-2 / Kind / Oade LS Mod SBM-1 / 7pin-opti / JB3 / D7 | SGE 100 / A27M / Manfrotto Black Stacker / Kata Koala-1 | 391/3/actives / c1000 / UA5 (P-Mod)

Offline JAH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
Re: Neumann actives DIN with STH-100 mount
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 12:03:40 PM »
I measured the caps to be 18cm apart using this method, which is between DIN and DINA.
yep...that is the poor man's din ..hence the getto din....I still use it ;-) a little wider spatially.
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com