Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs... Part 2  (Read 82300 times)

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
Re: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs... Part 2
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2009, 09:42:42 AM »
is it just me or is concert shooting the easiest?  seems like its all im good at....(not that im any good, but its all i shoot without total disappointment.)
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2009, 10:37:23 AM »
I always liked my concert photography too.  I think I was pretty good at it.  I was also shooting every weekend, sometimes during the week...all that practice definitely helps.  I haven't done that since I've moved to AZ.  When I moved here I wanted to start up an event photography business...unfortunately, I'm lazy, didn't take my camera out enough, lost my focus, and ended up in merchandising.  Ugh!  But, it pays the bills...once the bills are gone though, good bye crappy job!

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

stevetoney

« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2009, 11:09:26 AM »
is it just me or is concert shooting the easiest?  seems like its all im good at....(not that im any good, but its all i shoot without total disappointment.)

My opinion is that it's you, Jim.  You probably just have a knack for it...the timing, the angles, etc.  Maybe the venue's that you've been going to are good for shooting.

I haven't found it very easy because the logistics haven't supported it where I've been shooting.  It's mainly the lighting...but also it's been because the stage isn't right, the crowd doesn't support me getting to the right positioning that I want to be in, etc. 

One thing I love is having a camera that shoots 5fps, because I've gotten to where I'll anticipate an emotional musical passage and start shooting and that's been a great way to get 'the right moment' captured.

I guess alot depends on ones expectations too.  I find that I'm rarely pleased with anything I shoot, even though I get lots of comments about 'great pictures'.  I'm always assessing composition, colors, sharpness, etc. and it seems like I'm constantly concluding where I could have done better.

I also need to relax my old school of thought (leftover from my film days, I guess) that it's not OK to crop to final image.  For some reason, I'm more satisfied with the image if I got the composition right straight from the click, rather than having to crop it in PS to get the best composition...anal I know.

Anyway, there are some shots up on LivePhish dot com that were taken during Hampton last weekend that are just KILLER looking...so sharp and so full of vibrant color even though I'm sure the venue was less than ideal for shooting. 

Why can't my shots be like those???
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 11:15:13 AM by tonedeaf »

stirinthesauce

« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2009, 11:46:57 AM »

technique both in capturing the image and in photoshop  :P ;) ;D

stevetoney

« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2009, 12:27:57 PM »

technique both in capturing the image and in photoshop  :P ;) ;D

No doubt.  Subjectively, what percentage of the quality in those images do you think is skill with the camera vs. skill with the software?

(Probably can't really provide a good definitive answer, but still curious about your opinion.)

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2009, 05:14:02 PM »
speaking of cropping, I can't take a straight picture to save my life, I'm always tilting/cropping in lightroom.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2009, 12:33:28 AM »

Anyway, there are some shots up on LivePhish dot com that were taken during Hampton last weekend that are just KILLER looking...so sharp and so full of vibrant color even though I'm sure the venue was less than ideal for shooting. 

Honestly, the lighting in that room was unbelievable.  I got decent shots with my total POS P&S.  If I had had a media pass and my D300 I would be wetting myself. 

Just an example with a $100 P&S...

Did these outside with my D300...

And came away with a decent shot at the beach...

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2009, 06:03:56 PM »
brought the 10-22efs to vegas last week.. 

We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2009, 10:34:19 AM »
I want that lens, nice shots.  Did you use a tripod?

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2009, 08:01:49 AM »
I want that lens, nice shots.  Did you use a tripod?

I used this for the bellagio fountain shots..

We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2009, 05:35:32 PM »
I've seen those before, but never knew how they'd hold up...seems they work pretty nice!

stirinthesauce

« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2009, 11:30:21 PM »

Have I told ya'll that I love shooting wateralls?   :P  Here are a couple from this month.  Top is Milk Sick Creek above Milk Sick Creek Falls.   This is a wet weather stream, accessible from some off trail hiking.  Perfect day for shooting (light wise).  The next is from Old Stone Fort State Park.  Too many waterfalls and cascades to count or shoot.  This is right by my house so I enjoy shooting here often.  Just 2 picked at random.  Hope you enjoy them half as much as I did there shooting.   :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 11:34:04 PM by stirinthesauce »

Offline leehookem

• Texas Tapers
« Reply #117 on: July 15, 2009, 09:47:34 AM »
I am considering making the leap into digital SLRs.  Any thoughts on buying refurbished?  Adorama has the XSi at a good price.
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

stevetoney

« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2009, 09:28:22 PM »
Go for it.  Any way you can find out how many clicks on the shutter mechanism?  They're supposed to last 100,000 or more.  If you can't find out the shutter clicks and the price is right and they'll give you a decent warranty, you probably don't have anything to lose as long as that's the body that you want.  The XSi is extremely popular and a nice size camera (not too big or small) that will give you excellent results with a good lens.  If they aren't giving a big price break off new though, my propensity would be to just go with the new one so you are assured of full life.

Keep in mind that jumping to more expensive models, you're kinda paying for the extra's at the outter limits...higher ISO's, more megapixels, perhaps faster shutter speed, etc.  I find these to be quite useful actually in the shooting that I do, but you'll want to assess the need for these extra's when making your camera body purchase.  If you're gonna be using the camera mostly...say...for shooting in normal lighting conditions in broad daylight, then perhaps you won't use those extras.

Also, pay attention to the lens that is packaged with the body that they're selling.  That probably goes without saying, but they usually package some of the cheapest lousiest lens with the kit packages and you might want to just buy the body without a lens so that you can save a few bucks to invest in a better lens.

Personally, I think the extra features I'm willing to pay the most incremental money for are faster lenses and the highest possible ISO I can get with my camera.  However, initially most people initially go for the largest possible zoom range with their lens.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 09:43:03 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline leehookem

• Texas Tapers
« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2009, 10:06:28 PM »
I went ahead and pulled the trigger today.  $549 shipped for a factory refurbished Canon EOS Rebel XSi.  All original items normally included are present.  They gave me a 1 year warranty as well.  The standard kit lens was included (EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS).  I realize that new glass will be in order fairly quickly.  For another hundred bucks, I can get the EF 50mm f/1.8 II and be set for a while.  $650 total price and I am just under what I would pay new, but with two lenses.  Pretty happy with the deal.
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com