Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R-09: largest SD card in use?  (Read 7091 times)

Offline floete

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
R-09: largest SD card in use?
« on: December 22, 2006, 09:05:55 AM »
I'd like to get the largest SD card possible for my edirol r-09.  are the 8gb sdhc cards supported and, if so, has anyone used one yet and, if so, what make?  and, how'd it work out?

and, what about the 4gb cards?  in use, what's the difference between using a regular sd card and the sdhc card?  don't they both record right on through?

i tried searching through past posts and got a little confused, so maybe someone can help me out.  essentially, i'd like the longest recording time, at the best settings, without having to stop and start the record function.

as usual, tia!

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: R-09: largest SD card in use?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 01:55:21 PM »
I've read reports of success with Transcend brand 8 GIG SDHC cards with R-09 purchased from reliable vender www.newegg.com
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline floete

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 12:57:36 PM »

guy: thanks for the response.  are those reports online in a place where i can read them?  the cards cost a lot and i want to make sure they're going to work for me the way i want them to before laying out the cash. 
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 12:59:09 PM by floete »

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 01:37:28 PM »

guy: thanks for the response.  are those reports online in a place where i can read them?  the cards cost a lot and i want to make sure they're going to work for me the way i want them to before laying out the cash. 

I have not purchased the Transcend card as yet, but so far reports in TS indicate these do work, and I have several customers who have just purchased these with no reports of trouble reported as yet; maybe do a TS advance search for posts. 

Cost has dropped to ~$115 at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820208088 and this seems most reasonable.

Several reviews written on Newegg.com indicate these cards are NOT working for these buyers!  However, suspect these buyers are trying to use SDHC in older devices NOT yet upgraded to accepting the new SDHC 2.0 protocol. 

R-09 owners need to make sure the deck is upgraded to the 1.10 firmware before formatting and using these cards.  Suggest reading my review at www.sonicstudios.com/r-09revw.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 03:33:58 PM »
FWIW,... I've used the Transcend 4gig standard card, (not sdhc, or hi-speed), with fine results.
The deck splits the file seamlessly at 2g, and the balance of the recording goes into the next file.
I have not used a larger card than 4gb

Assume you have upgraded the deck's firmware to 1.10???

Previous firmware version would not allow greater than 2 GIG SD to be deck-formatted.

Those using 4 GIG computer format'd SD cards with older firmware occasionally experienced .wav file header problems requiring recovery procedures to read such files.

Offline floete

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 09:24:17 AM »
well, i'm in for an 8gb sdhc card, now 99 at frys.com.  should arrive in a few days.

guysonic: can you suggest a way to test the card to make sure it's going to work as i hope it will?  i.e., should i just record straight through the full 8gm and see how it looks on the other end.  isn't there an easier way?

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 11:19:39 AM »
8GB SDHC from transcend is recognised OK with 1.10 firmware.
Got to do some recording to be able to tell more.

Offline fourdegreeswarmer

• Taperssection Newbie
  • shh, i'm taping this...
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 02:42:13 PM »
I've run into problems using the 8GB Transcend SDHC card: "card is slow" messages when recording, and a weird error when the 2GB file size limit is reached (dozens of 2kb WAV files instead of a new 2GB file).

I emailed Roland Product Support Department and got the following response:

"8GB support will likely be added in the future with another firmware update, but v1.10 only supports cards up to 4GB."

Although nowhere is this actually stated AFAIK.

I haven't got an external card reader yet, so I don't know if formatting it on the PC will help (as it did for 4GB cards on the older firmware...?).

Has anyone had similar problems?
DPA 4061 > SPSB-6 > R-09

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 03:08:38 PM »
a big first +T for that advice, my new friend.  i was literally about to pull the trigger on a transcend 8gb card when i read your post!

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 07:39:25 PM »
Today I was recording something on a 150X Transcend 4GB card. The card was nearly full (only 30 min left) I got a message "card is slow" message, too.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 07:25:53 AM »
This seems a recent development and first to hear of bad news about Transcend SDHC 8 GIG problems in R-09 v1.10 where both are supposed to support SDHC 2.0 standard to 32 GIG capacity! 

And now Roland seems back-peddling on R-09's SDHC card compatibility?

----------- here is the text that came with version 1.10 upgrade-------

Changes [Ver. 1.03 -> Ver. 1.10]

* Can now play and record to SDHC (High Capacity) memory cards.

The currently available SDHC cards that Roland has tested for compatibility with the R-09. (As of November 14, 2006)

- Panasonic RP-SDR04-GJ1K 4GB

Note: MacOS 9 is not compatible with over 2GB file system in SDHC.

* Improved the transfer speed when transferring recorded files to a computer over a USB connection.

* Increased the time from when the Power Switch is pressed during operation until the power is cut so that the power is not turned off suddenly.

* Revised how the time stamp on the file is handled when using the Move or Copy finder operations.
    -> Move: The original time stamp is preserved.
       Copy: The date and time when copying is the creation date and time; the original time stamp is used when revising a file.

* When using the character selection operation with the Rename Finder operation, the selection returns to the first character "!" after the final character, "}" is selected. The reverse operation is also the same.

----------------- end of roland 1.10 firmware upgrade text --------------------

I thought SDHC is where the HC meant High Capacity.   

I guess 4 GIG can be considered sort of 'high capacity'.  However, even 8 GIG looks like sort of high capacity when compared to the 16 GIG and 32 GIG capacity SDHC cards about to enter the market. 

I've already had a few customers start using 8 GIG Transcend card in combination with R-09 deck recently with no reports of 'filling up the card' success or failures as yet. 

Maybe the bad news is coming if experience posted here is the new 'norm?'

Any more using or trying to use 8 GIG SDHC cards with R-09's latest firmware? 

Reports?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 04:41:23 PM by guysonic »

Offline twoheadedboy

• Taperssection Regular
  • Catching signals that sound in the dark....
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »
FWIW,... I've used the Transcend 4gig standard card, (not sdhc, or hi-speed), with fine results.
The deck splits the file seamlessly at 2g, and the balance of the recording goes into the next file.
I have not used a larger card than 4gb

Assume you have upgraded the deck's firmware to 1.10???

Previous firmware version would not allow greater than 2 GIG SD to be deck-formatted.

Those using 4 GIG computer format'd SD cards with older firmware occasionally experienced .wav file header problems requiring recovery procedures to read such files.

One point I want to make that I know you know and may be obvious to others but possibly not everyone, is that you can format the 4GB Transcend card on the R-09 when connected to the computer (using Windows to do it, right-click on the drive in "My Computer"). You cannot use the R-09 to format a 4GB card if it is NOT connected to a computer. This is of course talking about the original 1.03 firmware.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com