Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 2)  (Read 188664 times)

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 2)
« Reply #225 on: March 14, 2010, 12:29:14 AM »
If you can hear the lecture, so can the PCM-M10.

I'm sure one of its intended markets is as a recorder for broadcast interviews.

The high-sensitivity setting on the built-in mics is more sensitive than your ears. Play with the manual level during the orientation lecture, find a setting you like and use it for the rest of the semester.

To isolate it from noise, set it on something soft. And don't bang on the laptop keyboard.

--------

The reason people are suggesting that the PCM-M10 is overkill for lectures is because you don't need full-spectrum hi-fi recording for voice. You could get an iPhone app or a cheaper recorder like the Tascam DR-07 or Zoom H2. The Zoom can make the microphone pickup pattern more directional; the PCM-M10 mics are omni.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 12:37:37 AM by earmonger »

Offline MikeMannZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #226 on: March 14, 2010, 09:41:58 AM »
My query is just based on the audio recording quality though. It's gonna need to be able to pick up firmly spoken word volume at about 4 rows back in a classroom (on average, don't wanna sit up front).

I've used mine in a very large room 6 rows back sitting on a mini tripod on the floor....behind people sitting on the floor (yoga center class room thing).  It picked up everything just dandy, even mumbling by the speaker.  I had the mic sensitivity set to low and the input on 6, in hindsight I should have used the high setting with the limiter set.  I normalized the recording and everything sounds fabulous, but never really listened to the raw recording because I knew where I had gone wrong.

Is there not a problem with the auto limiter in that it lowers the sensitivity when there are peaks, but fails to higher it back to the level it was at before? I read that somewhere...
If that's the case, it would most likely be a good idea to pick a suitable recording level and sit in the same place every week or something.

I'll let you know in a couple of days.  I have to record another talk on Tuesday and will use the limiter.  One think I did notice if you have a speaker whose voice tends to fluctuate in volume (as mine did) and you have the input set on the higher side you'll easily peak out.  Another trouble I had was other people moving around.  If someone adjusted the way they were sitting or turned a page in their notebook, it could be heard.  It wasn't terrible, but definitely audible.  I would say if you are going to sit in the same spot every time you'll easily be able to find settings that work for you.  I've used the edirol R-09HR in this same situation and had much more floor noise from the internal mics.  It's probably my inexperience with the unit, but the Sony didn't exhibit an exaggerated noise floor to the newbie like myself.   

Mike

Offline chrise

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #227 on: March 14, 2010, 02:57:10 PM »
Is there not a problem with the auto limiter in that it lowers the sensitivity when there are peaks, but fails to higher it back to the level it was at before? I read that somewhere...

No.

(well, mine doesn't behave like that)

Offline tugs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #228 on: March 14, 2010, 04:26:56 PM »
Cheers for the replies guys...

Im definitely growing more confident about its ability to record speech as it's heard by the human ear, which is great news.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #229 on: March 14, 2010, 05:06:41 PM »
Im definitely growing more confident about its ability to record speech as it's heard by the human ear, which is great news.

There are a lot of <$50 recorders that do that very well.

Offline tugs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #230 on: March 14, 2010, 05:26:35 PM »

There are a lot of <$50 recorders that do that very well.

Can you sugest one with decent size flash memory/digital pitch & speed control for faster re-listening/pre-record buffer/auto limiter?

Thanks

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #231 on: March 15, 2010, 01:40:55 AM »
Okay...so I pulled the trigger today and purchased the deck from B&H.  i wil be getting it in about a week and have a show to tape right after I receive it.

Can someone give me the basic settings that I should use?

I will be running DPA 4061's > Church Audio 9100 > M10 (Line In)

I read that unity gain on the M10 was #6 on the dial and I think I run in low mic sensitivity.  I plan on running 24/96.

Can anyone who has used the deck give me the quick rundown on all the setting i should try.

I have read through numerous posts but was hoping someone could give a concise answer to this one...

I presume there is a seamless split @ 2GB...correct?

Thanks
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
04/22 Howie Day
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #232 on: March 15, 2010, 06:05:01 AM »
As the 'cursor' bar passes each menu item, there's an info bar (white letters on black background) at the top of the screen, showing the current setting for the current item.  Scroll through and adjust to your personal preference if what's shown on the info bar is not to your liking.

When it comes down to it, there's really very little to adjust, and what there is is down to personal preference and the circumstances of the gig.  You've already said how you want the format set.  I think you're right about the level.

I'd be inclined to have almost everything set "off".  As you pass the "detail menu" option, select it to see the submenu stuff there.

Offline Artstar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #233 on: March 18, 2010, 05:09:23 PM »
Okay...so I pulled the trigger today and purchased the deck from B&H.  i wil be getting it in about a week and have a show to tape right after I receive it.

A fine choice. You'll love it, I'm sure!

I presume there is a seamless split @ 2GB...correct?

I haven't had a chance to really put it through its paces to answer all your other questions but I can definitely say that like its PCM-D50 sibling, the 2GB file splits are indeed seamless. You'll have no problem there.

I've had it for about 1.5 months and popped its cherry in the live recording scene on the second week with my (also virgin) Core Sound cardioids - battery box fed to line in. The performance of it was good in terms of quality though I may consider designing an external preamp for future recordings given the low level I got out of it - peaks at -24dB at the level setting of 8 which I thought was going to be enough compared to my usual setting of 7 on my PCM-D50 (for -12dB peaks) with the Core Sound binaurals and the same battery box.

I haven't decided yet as I don't like the idea of having to pocket another thing too when out and about.

I'm going to another metal concert tomorrow night and will probably end up turning the recording level all the way to 10 this time to see how much more gain (and noise) I'll get from doing that. Hopefully this time, I'll be able to look at the unit and see if it will tickle the -12dB LEDs as per all my other recordings.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 05:11:31 PM by Artstar »

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #234 on: March 19, 2010, 09:29:32 AM »
I caved and bought an M10 from B&H. Now I have way too many decks.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #235 on: March 21, 2010, 02:39:51 AM »
Has anyone tried mounting the internal memory using Linux? Results?

Also, a bit confused concerning micro SD vs. micro SDHC... I'm admittedly out of the loop, but they both appear to be the same form factor. Will micro sdhc work in the M10?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #236 on: March 21, 2010, 06:57:46 AM »
SDHC micro on not-micro cards are essential above 4GB in any event - and therefore they do work in the M10.  Old solid-state media devices tend not to be SDHC compatible.  Anything recent is almost certainly SDHC compatible.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #237 on: March 21, 2010, 08:03:25 AM »

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to read the card with Linux. It should come up as an external drive.

I'm not sure if the M10 comes up as a external drive (although I suspect it does). Worse comes to worse you could use a card reader, which is what I prefer to do anyway because I have found them to be faster than hooking up the recorder as an external drive (not to mention easier IMO).
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #238 on: March 21, 2010, 11:03:04 AM »

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to read the card with Linux. It should come up as an external drive.

I'm not sure if the M10 comes up as a external drive (although I suspect it does). Worse comes to worse you could use a card reader, which is what I prefer to do anyway because I have found them to be faster than hooking up the recorder as an external drive (not to mention easier IMO).

I think you misunderstood me. By Internal memory, I meant the recorder, not the removable card...

And yeah, I prefer using a card reader too.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #239 on: March 24, 2010, 03:16:53 PM »
just checking in. I may decide to start saving for one of these bad boys. B&H lists it at a very attractive $275 and I would be able to run two sets of mics and two recorders simultaneously. no reason for that but what the hell.  8)
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.221 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com