Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SBD/AUD. Matrix - on stage mic placement  (Read 9382 times)

Offline ziko

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: SBD/AUD. Matrix - on stage mic placement
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 06:21:10 AM »
GF technique>gut feeling. cards spread on stage is my preference if space allows. If a solo drummer i usually go almost as wide as drumset with mics thenkicked outat a GF angle i think needs to be. I do this all the time>always record in mono>allows me to pan easily a separation that sounds nice to my ears in post. The image below i use poles on stage as my separtion. Ted are clamped on. I ran his 414 for this https://archive.org/details/mc2012-05-26.mtx.flac16bottom image is 3 mics and their mic run into v2  

https://archive.org/details/straybirds2012-09-06.mtx.flac16

my.02

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 10:32:40 PM »
I'm diggin' that Straybirds setup and recording.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 12:55:29 AM »
Ive never really been a fan of XY. It usually doesnt have that wide stereo angle most of us tapers prefer..
I'd agree usually XY does not offer the stereo image separation..

Totally with you guys if we're talking X/Y cards and they are the only pair.  Works really well to fill the hole between a pair of wide spaced mics though.  Also, Blumlein is a good exception (X/Y 8's).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 02:06:08 AM »
On stage I XY if it is a single performer and ORTF if there is a band. 

I am more curious about your success recording at GAMH more than your question about mic technique.  Don't you get hassled by the venue?

At times I echo ziko's GF technique, but only rarely and when stage arrangement is super awkward.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 02:08:08 AM by rigpimp »
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline johnieappel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • chapman photography
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 08:09:15 PM »
For these shows I knew the sound guy & I'm friends with the band. Otherwise, yes, it isnt the best place to try & record a show, although supposedly it is 'whatever the bands recording policy is'. They wont let you bring a mic stand in, you can only record from the side balcony, unless you want to stealth on the floor.

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2016, 08:55:55 AM »
I don't know if it's an option or not but recently I've run cards ortf in the center of the stage and omnis split to mix w the sbd. You don't necessarily need to use them all in post but it's nice to have them.

This is what i do alot, but with split subcards and NOS cards, with great results.

What is the split on the subs?

I'm trying to determine if running a stage lip setup for a local 'americana' band is the easiest way for them to get
material for a live album. I've done SB/AUD but got a little delay, and haven't gotten good at alignment.
Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 08:57:41 AM »
I don't know if it's an option or not but recently I've run cards ortf in the center of the stage and omnis split to mix w the sbd. You don't necessarily need to use them all in post but it's nice to have them.

This is what i do alot, but with split subcards and NOS cards, with great results.

What is the split on the subs?

I'm trying to determine if running a stage lip setup for a local 'americana' band is the easiest way for them to get
material for a live album. I've done SB/AUD but got a little delay, and haven't gotten good at alignment.

Depends on the stage set up and position of the instrument amps.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 10:21:41 AM »
Probably not a lot to go by, but they have lead, bass, slide, fiddle, keys, and drums, and their footprint is very small. Probably somewhere around 30 feet, give or take. Part of that might be the venues, but they seem to stay tight even when they have more room. Amps are behind each of the strings, but usually the keys amp is forward. Slide, violin, and lead across the front, keys to the outside a little behind the slide. Bass and drums at the back.

I guess I was wondering if you meant a 30 inch split or a 20 foot split on the subs.
Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 10:23:06 AM »
Probably not a lot to go by, but they have lead, bass, slide, fiddle, keys, and drums, and their footprint is very small. Probably somewhere around 30 feet, give or take. Part of that might be the venues, but they seem to stay tight even when they have more room. Amps are behind each of the strings, but usually the keys amp is forward. Slide, violin, and lead across the front, keys to the outside a little behind the slide. Bass and drums at the back.

I guess I was wondering if you meant a 30 inch split or a 20 foot split on the subs.

usually 10-20 feet depending.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com