Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Found a Few Battery Options for NJB3  (Read 11747 times)

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Real men wear kilts.
Re: Found a Few Battery Options for NJB3
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2005, 12:09:58 PM »
Well, I've given up on this one and will be sending it back for a refund. Oh well. The search continues.  ;)
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

thierryhenry

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2005, 12:12:03 PM »
Dammit!

Good try though, thank you for the updates..

Offline alienbobz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2005, 12:19:24 PM »
Well I went with the "2200" just to see if I recieved the same results as Tascamguy. First, I want to state that what I recieve is not the 2200 as far as I can tell. The battery looks different, there are a few more plug ins, and it also comes with its own case.  Recieved this yesterday and charged it up last night. Took only an hour. This morning I decided to test it to see if it works and it does. I haven't had a chance to test it out in the field, but it does power it. To run the battery in between the JB3 and the battery, there are two different cables. One is small while the other one is extendable. Either end of these will work, but the right angle one will fight more snuggly into the JB3. I have posted three pictures below. The first one is the battery with all of its accessories minus the charger plug in. The second one is the one with the battery and the two plug ins. The third one is the battery pluged into the JB3. If you need any more pictures let me know.

-Out of the game for a bit, probably forever-

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:
Behringer C-2s, Marshall MXL 1006BPs, Naiant MSH-1s

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2005, 12:23:47 PM »
Yeah, that does look different than the pictures I've seen on the 2200.  Could you give more details on the battery you got?  Is it labelled as a Power Runner 2200 or is it something different?  What is the ma-Hr capacity of the battery?  What voltage settings does it have, eg 4.5v, 6v, 9v, etc?  What voltage setting are you using to get it to work with the jb3?
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline alienbobz

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2005, 12:30:35 PM »
It is not labeled Power Runner 2200. The battery has no company markings. Just says Lithium-ion Battery Pack, and the serial number. The instructions just say Universal Camcorders & Digital Camera Lithium-Ion Battery. The operation current is Max 1.5A. Not sure about the per hour part (nothing I could find). It has a voltage output of either 3V, 5V, 6V, or 7.2V. I used the 5V for the JB3.

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:

Offline Todd R

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2005, 01:38:39 PM »
Cool, thanks.  It may not be on there, but the capacity spec I'm looking for would be something like 3600mAh or 5400mAh, or somesuch.  It may not be on the battery though, since I think capacity will vary depending on what voltage setting you use. Perhaps it is in the user manual if you got one.

Maybe if you have a chance sometime, you can set the thing up to record at home and let us know how long it lasts for recording.  Overall though, it looks like a good option for jb3 power.  Good find!

Oh, btw, where did you get it?
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

Offline Sterling

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2005, 01:51:47 PM »
I agree! At $58 bucks its pretty affordable and gives you the versatility to run the JB3 for at least 6 hours and even the V3 for over 3! All this and the thing only weighs 182 grams. Crazy!

The only questions for me are:
1. "More than 500 times recycle life-time。" - is that good or bad
2. Is Li-ion better or worse than Ni-cd

http://www.digital-camera-battery.net/universal-battery.htm#

Good find guys!

Offline alienbobz

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2005, 04:47:13 PM »
I bought it directly from the link. I just used it today for a show (only 1 hour) and work through the whole thing. Maybe I will try the battery out to see how long it lasts, but I am not sure when I will have time to do that. Also, here is a picture of the battery from the website:

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2005, 04:52:26 PM »
I agree! At $58 bucks its pretty affordable and gives you the versatility to run the JB3 for at least 6 hours and even the V3 for over 3! All this and the thing only weighs 182 grams. Crazy!

The only questions for me are:
1. "More than 500 times recycle life-time。" - is that good or bad
2. Is Li-ion better or worse than Ni-cd

http://www.digital-camera-battery.net/universal-battery.htm#

Good find guys!

Li-on is way better, less weight, no memory.
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Todd R

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2005, 11:41:02 AM »
Just as an update to this, I got the Powerrunner 2310 and it works perfectly.  I got it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15055&item=5773905259

Info pulled from another JB3 battery thread where I just posted:

Switchable output voltage of 3, 4.5, 5, 6, 7.5, and 12.  Works like a charm with the JB3 at the 5v setting, right out of the box.  No mods necessary, no buying extra parts or adapters or adaptaplugs.  Really a very easy power solution to the JB3.  At the 5v setting, it has a 7.2A-hr capacity, which given the power draw of the JB3, should be enough to run it for 24 hours.  Or stated otherwise, the equivalent of 8 internal JB3 batteries, which would cost apparently about $400 if you could find them.  The model I got, PR2310, was $70 from the above link.  The same vendor has the PR2200 model which is the same physical size, but has half the capacity, for $50.  This should run the JB3 for about 12 hours, or the equivalent of 4 JB3 batteries ($200).

I'm testing my battery out right now, running my JB3 without its internal batteries.  Seems to be working great, booted up fine and I'm recording at 44.1k wav seemingly fine.  I'll check the recording file in a bit, but I imagine it is all fine.  I doubt I'll have the motivation to test exactly how long this will run, since it will probably be at least 20hours and more like 24. 

I need to dig up the other thread, but I thought someone else tried this product and said it didn't work.  I'm guessing he didn't have access to a voltmeter.  The one issue I did find is the cable that comes with it is labelled wrong, so according to the actual labeling on the cable you'd have to run it with the adaptaplug in the "tip-negative" position in order to get it to have +5v at the tip (which is really "tip-positive").  I discovered this right away with my voltmeter before I ran it into the JB3.  So besides this mis-labeling on the cable (no idea if this extends to the other ones they sell, but I imagine), it works fine, you just need to insure you've got it set up to provide +5v at the center tip of the cable (hence access to a voltmeter is handy).  This is probably the problem BornAgain had with his, though I have no idea why he couldn't get it to work after he had gotten a voltmeter and insured that his was wired up properly.

Bottom line, the Powerrunner is an excellent option for out-of-the-box JB3 powering, allowing long runtimes at little cost.

http://www.batteryspace.com/ProductImages/univ-externalbattery/pr2edetails01.JPG

thierryhenry

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2005, 11:48:27 AM »
Very good work, +T!

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2005, 12:18:53 PM »
I'm thinking I had a bum battery. If I recall when testing, I was getting no readings at all on the voltmeter from the battery. Or, maybe the cable was bad. I will be trying this again though. Thanks for testing it out!
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2005, 01:41:14 PM »
Just recieved my second Powerrunner 2310, and it does indeed work. I'm sticking with I either had a bum battery or a bum cable. + still matches the + and it powered right on.

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2005, 01:08:45 PM »
Just a small update on the battery pack. Trying to do some testing on how long it will last. Here's what I did. I set up the whole rig last night (mics>ua-5>jb3) and ran optical in on the JB3. For some reason it stopped recording at 2:30:00 (not exactly, but close enough). It wasn't the battery pack as it still had power showing. I brought the JB3 and battery into work with me this morning for more test. Running line in at 44.1 recording from another JB3. It's been going about 3:30:00 with the battery pack with one green and one red light and no change. Same power level on battery as when I started last night. So, with about 6 hours of recording the battery shows no signs of wearing down.

**EDIT**
Figured out why it stopped overnight. 2:30:00 wasn't the length, but the time. And I didn't have the continuos feature enabled. BUT...at about 4:16:48 (1:16:48 into the second 3:00 recording) the JB3 froze and lost the entire recording. That's the first time I've ever had that happen to this JB3.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 04:28:26 PM by BornAgainTaper »

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2005, 07:48:59 PM »
ran the powerrunner today recording live 8  ran the jb3 from 7am till 6pm and still have one bar left.  pretty sweet.  great find todd
we all live downstream.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com