Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Your favorite Mics? Why?  (Read 28234 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Your favorite Mics? Why?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 07:22:04 PM »
I've only tried AT853s, CA-11s, Neumann KM184s, and Schoeps MK4 and CCM4s.  Of these, I like the Schoeps' sound the most.  I've gotten killer tapes with them and they never disappoint except in the worst sounding venues.  Nothing beats the CCM4 for dual functioning in both open and stealth situations... IMO of course.  8)

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 09:58:56 PM »
On the cheaper side, CA-14's.  Amazing quality for a great price and you can run them open or  >:D .
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 10:18:33 PM »
For two point stereo recordings I go with my CCM4's more often than others. On OH I really like the Neumann SM69 for jazz and my 460's for rock type. I like the Neuman KMS105 and 104 for vocals and I just picked up a Senn 431, which I like on the snare. An EV RE20 works great on the kick and bass cabinets along with an AKG D12E or D112.

I have had good luck with the ADK TL's as split omni's and on horns and reeds. My modified Oktava 319s work well on guitar cabinets and vocals. I have used my CCM4 suspended from an upright's bridge using the ortf bar and it works fantastic, as well as a Neuman 84.

A Royer 121 or 122 works extremely well on guitar cabinets and AKG's 535 are a good chioce for vocals, tom racks and flutes. In a pinch it can be used for many other purposes.

I get a hoot out of using my modified MXL 990's and 991's, which cost me around $100 for all four and sound really surprising.

Finally, I find that AKG's 414s to work well on a grand piano.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 10:42:53 PM »
AKG 480
Schoeps
Nakamichi 1000

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 12:27:28 AM »
Nevaton MK49

Owned them before I became a dealer, and I plan to be buried with my pair.  All the others have come and gone (Schoeps, Neumanns, Gefells, AKGs, beyers, etc.) but these have stayed.

Imagine that.   8)

Why?  When you hear them with a great pre you will understand.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 01:14:57 AM »
Man this is so subjective…. and this is question that so many people ask and it’s a very difficult one to answer…my short answer is the one that sounds best to me/you.  Everyone hears differently, location plays a factor, acoustics, what type of PA., who’s mixing the sound, I could go on and on…..most people will answer this question with the mic they own.  I have been recording many years and collecting and trading even longer….  I am positive I have heard a majority of the mics out there we all use for recording shows and some that a lot of people don’t…

It would be impossible to include every mic I have heard but these to me have been the major players that I have paid attention too.

I have owned AT853’s……I made many good recording with these mics…they are decently balanced and a good all around performer.  Jedi master approved for those less than open situations.  I now have a pair of DPA 4060s that take care of this duty.  One of the best miniature omnis out there…. However Nevaton make a great little omni called the MC400 which is killer sounding.

I currently use MBHO 648’s and I have the linear omnis, wide cards, cards and hyper cards….The MBHO 648 are a very crystal clear mic for the most part under most conditions.  The variety of caps make it a great choice for any situation I walk into.  They at times can be a bit bright sounding.  Some say the bass is light…I say its not bloated….like some other mics out there..

I also currently have a set of Nak300 with cards omnis and Shot guns. Naks are not a techniquely  up to date microphone with up to date electronics.  They stopped making them many years ago….but there is just something about the sound of a nak that is appealing to my ears.. Kind of the feeling you get from a cup of hot chocolate on a cold day…they make you feel nice and warm.

One mics I am very familiar with but have not owned are the DPA 4011/4021’s…This is an excellent mic but I find it needs to be in the sweet spot to really shine.  Not many can touch its quality when in the sweet spot……but to my ears they are not very forgiving…

Neumann 140 /184.  I have never really been able to tell the difference between the two in sound quality.  The 140’s  have the ability to change caps, I really like the 143’s.   At first when I got into recording I did not like the sounds of Neumann.  My ears didn’t like them very much but something over the years has changed with my hearing now they sound great to me…I really like the sound now….I would call Neumann’s a very warm sounding mic…again my ears only others may hear differently..

Earthwork mics have always intrigued me….they sound very linear to me…kinda dry at times.  I heard very few Earthworks recordings that I liked….but the one I did smoked, which tells me they are very revealing in what they capture…..they are not very forgiving… if it sounds like shit you get shit….again it reveals all the variables that goes into location recording….a earthworks killer in terms of their omnis is the Avenson STO-2.  Again this is an omni mic.  It sounds fantastic out doors and very close to the sound source.  I have had the  opportunity to use these in the past and will likely use them again in the future……very well  balanced sound….but you need the right environment..

One mic I never have really gotten into is schoeps….They tend to be looked at as the holy grail of mics.  Don’t get me wrong they are great mics but my ears don’t really like the sound all that much…I could never put my finger on it.  I don’t get all the hype about them…  Again I have heard good recordings with schoeps but I usually pass on a schoeps recording if there are other mics to choose from….

Now to AKG..when I first started recording I didn’t really like the AKG480s…but as with the Neumann’s something happened with my hearing that I like the sound off these mics now…I think they are maybe a little over priced but in terms of sound they are a solid performer that gives consistent results…I could be happy with a set. but I don’t find the need to buy a set….

Now to Gefell….I think these are probably some of the best sounding mics ever made.  Some would say these are the true Neumanns….I have like every Gefell recording I have heard.  Some day I would like to get a pair.  To me they are just so warm sounding but not overly warm.  To me they are not as detailed as a MBHO, but have better bass response than MBHO.

Beyer’s 930’s I think are the all-time sleeper mic at this current point.  It has that unmistakable German sound at a very reasonable price.  I will have a pair of these at some point in the future as well.  Again every recoding I have heard from these mics has been fantastic.  My ears love the sound of these mics.

Nevaton make a quality mic and I am very curious to hear the mc49’s.  I like the sound of the Nevaton LD’s very much and I know one person who uses them…I have yet to hear a bad recording with these mics….

Another mic I like are the Milabs Vm44’s.  I have only heard a few recording with these mics.  Not a lot of people have them, but from the recording I have heard I like them.. To me they sound like a cross between a Neumann and a DPA 4011…but a little more forgiving in sound.  I have actually recently looked at a pair of VM44 classics and may pull the trigger on a pair at tax time….but time will tell if that come to fruition…

One mic that continues to amaze me especially for the price is the Church audio mics.  They represent a great value.  Now I must say I don’t like every recording made with these mics, but I like more than the ones I don’t…. this where all the variable come into play…. but in a open setting and proper set up they sound as good as mics 10X their cost…I am just not sure how church does it at the price point but he does….

Another mic that is decent sounding is the ones made by busman….his small diaphragm offer an incredible value but I don’t like the sound off every pattern…I haven’t heard a good wide card or hyper recording with these mics…again so many variables come into play..

I also use a set of Rode NT2000 large diaphragm mics…LD mics are so different sounding to my ears than Small Diaphragm mics…They are much slower, rounder and warmer than SD mics.  They can really pull the bass in to the point where it sucks all the O2 out of the air leaving you gasping for air… the NT2000 is completely variable from omni to fig 8, completely variable roll off, and completely variable pad…

One LD mic that sounds great and I have yet to own is the akg 414’s.  This mic is one of those mics that can just about do it all.  Very nicely balanced and that’s why so many people own them….I will have a set one day….

Another LD I like is the ADK TL’s.  I have always called these the 414 killers.  They give just about everything the 414’s give you but at half the price….they are tuff to pass up…to bad ADK has stopped production on these…

Now before the flamers jump all over me….and I start talking about mics I don’t like, remember what I started out with.  There are so many variables that go into recording.  This is a very difficult question to answer.  But the mics I am about to talk about my ears simply do not like.  I find myself turn off recordings, deleting or passing up recordings made with these mics.

Some mics I don’t like or I should really say am disappoint in are…Peluso’s.  I have a hard time finding a recording I like with these mics….they don’t sound very full to me.  It bothers my ears when I hear these mics…To me they don’t sound very balanced.

The one Neumann mic I don’t like are the TLM170’s….I could never find a recording my ears have like with these mics…that I have stopped searching….They really pull the bass….over pull the bass….like drowned out any highend….again remember I am speaking in terms of what my ears hear…someone may hear something different…

Mics made by studio projects have always been a good value for many starting out, but they sound very thin to me almost bassless….especially the LSD2….What I think really bothers me about this mic is the running capsules in the XY config….My ears do not like this configuration in terms of sound with any mic….it sounds harsh…I need ortf, nos, dina….even the blum recordings with this mic have left me want more in terms of sound…..

I do not like the sound of AT943…..The 853 are great but something is missing in this smaller version….to me they sound thin….unbalanced

Sennheiser mics specifically the K6 series mics sound very harsh to me…almost like nails on a chalk board to me..I have used these mics early on  in my recordings but quickly moved away from them because I simply didn’t like their sound…However one Senn I do like but you need to be close and in the right environment is the Senn441’s.  They are a dynamic mic and can handle incredible SPL.  Also sound balanced to me.  I remember first hearting a stage mix of SKB very early on that to me that was one of the best recording I have ever hear…but again…. it was an ideal situation…

Another mic that has disappointed me in terms of sound is the Josephson 42’s… something about the sound of these mics sound harsh to me but not quit as bad as the Senn K6’s…and its definitely in the high end region.  I will pass up a recording done with these mics..let me rephrase that I will always try and see what it sounds like but I end up deleting recordings done with these mics every time..

I could go on and on but will stop here….again I mean no offense to anyone who uses a mic that I don’t like.  As I stated everyone hears differently and my ears just don’t like these mics….so please take it as just someone’s opinion that really doesn’t matter.  I just found this question so intriguing that I wanted to answer it and kinda take my own inventory at the same time….ask me in five years I bet I will answer differently…

I guess the only advice I could give is listen to as many mics as you can, do research, read read read.....listen listen listen...then try.

Peace OOK >:D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 01:28:58 AM by OtheroneK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 08:55:33 AM »
Shure UR4D wireless system with U2 preamp and Beta 58 capsule. Why? Because I just spent $12,000 to buy a couple of these systems. Rock solid wireless, well worth the ridiculous cost. I don't think they will work particularly well for concert recording, though. Your question is so subjective it's hard to even touch.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 11:03:43 AM »
u89
Beta 52
KM84i
SM57

Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 07:09:54 PM »
way too many to list..but some high lights from the recent years

nevaton..funky looking and phunky sound, just superb when you look at quality vs price.unbelivable.

Pearl Elm-C , soundstage and imaging, wow..no crispy highs tho

milab dc-196 versatile and small

gefell um900...modern classic

DPA -  honest and real sounding..visited them, quality assurance is best in the business.Danes know precision..

chinese mics- those crispy and glassy highs works only in the audiophile bizniss

EV RE-20 ..nice for rap vocals...big sound

neumann u47- best midrange there is, fantastic proximity effect

soon nanofilms will be more available and we can see new ribbon microphones with better durabilty flourish..can't wait.there is something about passive mics that has a special appeal..

and the list goes on and on

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 07:55:14 PM »
soon nanofilms will be more available and we can see new ribbon microphones with better durabilty flourish..can't wait.there is something about passive mics that has a special appeal.

Shure bought the C&T line, so they are available now.

In my not too humble opinion, passive ribbons will go away in favor of phantom-powered ribbons.  There is a huge advantage to having an amplifier in the microphone, as it allows the use of a transformer with a higher turns ratio.  This results in a low noise ribbon microphone without the need to worry about finding an extremely quiet preamp.

I was amazed how small the new Shure KSM ribbon mics are. And they sound fantastic ta boot. If I had an extra few grand for a ribbon mic, I'd seriously consider the Shure KSM353...even over a Royer.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 08:55:47 PM »
Maybe onacounta I'm just lazy, but 80% of the time I put up a Beyer MC742 stereo mic.  Most of the time I'm recording live classical, and I know that if I get the Beyer close to a good location I'll have a nice recording.  Usually run it MS so I can play around with the imaging in post.  The Beyer has a bump centered at 10k that sometimes I eq out, but only if I get the mic too close.  A nice characteristic of the MC742 is all the patterns have about the same frequency response, so I can pick the pattern without worrying about changing the tonal balance.

After reading the above I seem to be giving the MC742 lukewarm praise, but it really is a nice mic.  Unless I really screw it up, my recordings with the Beyer sound like the music, not like Hi-Fi or High End or whatever.   For example, I recorded an audition tape for a jazz band using just the Beyer, and one of the (musician) judges said it was the best audition recording he had ever heard.  I'd like to think it was me, but I think it was mostly the mic.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 09:07:10 PM »
Maybe onacounta I'm just lazy, but 80% of the time I put up a Beyer MC742 stereo mic.  Most of the time I'm recording live classical, and I know that if I get the Beyer close to a good location I'll have a nice recording.  Usually run it MS so I can play around with the imaging in post.  The Beyer has a bump centered at 10k that sometimes I eq out, but only if I get the mic too close.  A nice characteristic of the MC742 is all the patterns have about the same frequency response, so I can pick the pattern without worrying about changing the tonal balance.

Is this similar to the Beyerdynamic MC833?  The one I've got is a stereo mic, three capsules, one forward, one one the left, and one on the right.  You adjust (manually) the side orientations.  Can run either LR or MS.

I really like this mic, certainly as a "point and shoot" mic.  I still prefer running spaced cardioids, though, to get phase information.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 08:26:20 AM »
The Beyerdynamic MC742 looks like this:
http://www.polaraudio.co.uk/datasheets/mc742.pdf

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 08:33:41 AM »
 :drool:
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

stevetoney

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2009, 10:32:12 AM »
Consistent with the response of the majority of the people in this thread, my favorite mics are those that I presently own.  Why?  Because of self-fulfilling prophesy...it's human nature.

Basically, what I'm sayin' is that, IMHO, you won't get a very good answer by asking this question on this board.  You gotta do the listening yourself and decide for yourself...unless of course the only reason you ask is that you're curious about what people think.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com