Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shockmount experience?  (Read 7405 times)

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
Shockmount experience?
« on: June 11, 2005, 10:02:00 PM »
I've been running the superlux hm-32 shockmounts for over a year now and I've already gone through 2 pairs... the last pair just cracked on me. I'm looking to move into a more reliable yet not overly expensive set. The AT shocks (both models) are a little outside my price range right now. Anyone have good experience with the Tensimounts or Sabrasoms ... what can you recommend? Thanks!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Shockmount experience?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 10:18:16 PM »
way i look at it, buy the AT mounts and you wont need shocks for AWHILE, money saved :)

i have the AT 8415's w/ the k-tek heavy duty rubber shocks and i LOVE that comb, a bit pricey, but isnt everything ;D

i also owned the sambras, and theyre decent, but you MUST take good care of them and theyre a PITA to put up/take apart everytime you use them

in fact, my shocks are constantly on my shure vert bar, just rotate them a wee bit for DIN/ORTF/XY :) worth the 115 bucks on the HD shocks :) theyre indestructible

only reason i went all out is cause i had my sambras on my t-bar, which was on my stand cause i was lazy, well, i was waiting in the tapers line at hampton phish 03 and BAM, hit the ground hard and FUCKED one shock up, THANK GOD for duct tape ;D 8) no more worries about that tho :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 10:21:55 PM »
Yah, I guess I've just bought too much lately... 460s + ck63s have set me back a lot... I don't tape a ton, so I just want something functional that will be slightly better quality than the superlux mounts. I can't justify spending the dough for AT mounts right now.. so I'm wondering what cheaper alternatives will still hold up nicely for somebody who isn't taping a ton....

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 10:47:33 PM »
Yah, I guess I've just bought too much lately... 460s + ck63s have set me back a lot... I don't tape a ton, so I just want something functional that will be slightly better quality than the superlux mounts. I can't justify spending the dough for AT mounts right now.. so I'm wondering what cheaper alternatives will still hold up nicely for somebody who isn't taping a ton....

the sambras are the only ones ive used, but if you could find em used, grab em :)

actually, i think alex herd uses the tensimounts, and likes them, plus theyre low-pro

theyre alot cheaper than the sambras too, because the sambras are about 50 a piece new when i got them, no clue now, whereas the tensimounts are only 6 bucks a piece, at that price get a backup pair
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 10:54:19 PM »

the sambras are the only ones ive used, but if you could find em used, grab em :)

actually, i think alex herd uses the tensimounts, and likes them, plus theyre low-pro

theyre alot cheaper than the sambras too, because the sambras are about 50 a piece new when i got them, no clue now, whereas the tensimounts are only 6 bucks a piece, at that price get a backup pair

6 bucks? where? I only see them for 12.95/each....

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 11:02:16 PM »
Do yourself a big favor and save a ton of headaches.  Check the yard sale and get a pair of the AT8415's.  I got my current pair for under $50 from another taper.  I've seen them as low as $40 and as high as $80 used.  Mine have been dropped, kicked and fucked with and still work like a champ.  The ONLY problem i've ever had was the band coming off it catches but that takes about 3 seconds to fix. 

Find a used pair and you be so happy that you didn't waste your money on something else.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 11:03:13 PM »
Do yourself a big favor and save a ton of headaches.  Check the yard sale and get a pair of the AT8415's.  I got my current pair for under $50 from another taper.  I've seen them as low as $40 and as high as $80 used.  Mine have been dropped, kicked and fucked with and still work like a champ.  The ONLY problem i've ever had was the band coming off it catches but that takes about 3 seconds to fix. 

Find a used pair and you be so happy that you didn't waste your money on something else.

If I could find a pair for as low as $40 used, I would grab it for sure. How low-pro are they?

Offline Diamond_D

• Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 11:03:20 PM »
I've used the tensimounts for a little bit now with my AT853s and they work nicely, I'd imagine they'd be even better on a larger mic.
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 11:11:37 PM »

I think Alex uses superlux mounts.. the same I have. They're $6 each.. that must be what you're referring to as I can't find the tensimounts at that price anywhere.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2005, 11:12:01 PM »
If I could find a pair for as low as $40 used, I would grab it for sure. How low-pro are they?

Upon further review  I actually have the 8410's.  My mistake.  ;D

They and the 8415's are not low-pro enough to stealth but are perfect for open taping.  Plus they just flat out work, they never fuck up and you won't go through them and need to buy new ones.  You've spent good money on your mics and caps why would you buy a cheap mount now?   

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2005, 11:15:15 PM »
You've spent good money on your mics and caps why would you buy a cheap mount now?   

reason:
You've spent good money on your mics and caps

Hahah... I'm too poor right now to put down a lot on shockmounts and I always have to worry about exchange rates, etc.

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2005, 12:04:34 AM »
You've spent good money on your mics and caps why would you buy a cheap mount now?   

qfmft

i use one AT8410 in my set up and think it is one of the most important pieces of gear i got.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2005, 12:09:35 AM »

qfmft

i use one AT8410 in my set up and think it is one of the most important pieces of gear i got.

The problem with the AT mounts on an akg bar is that they are too bulky and it's hard to run lots of patterns with them... I need something more lowpro... maybe the shure mounts?

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2005, 12:12:55 AM »
why dont you just shock the t-bar and then use clips for the mics?  only need one shock... or spend the $5.00 on the DIY verts that are made of pvc - they are extremely light weight
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2005, 12:32:03 AM »
why dont you just shock the t-bar and then use clips for the mics?  only need one shock... or spend the $5.00 on the DIY verts that are made of pvc - they are extremely light weight

How exactly does one accomplish this?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com