Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: When one of your DPA 4061 4060 etc dies in your Core Sound HEBs...  (Read 4433 times)

Offline 90meterInAD8

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Debate on, however:

One of the mics in my Core Sound HEB's died a few years ago.  I sent it back to Len who quoted me some price around $500 +/- $100 (can't remember for sure).  I requested them back, and they sat on a shelf until now.  I sent them to DPA in Colorado, who said that for $320 they would replace the broken one with a brand new one matched to within 1dB.  According to the tech I spoke with there, he said they'd do it, but that matching wasn't too important, as the variation is at max 2dB in units off the shelf.  I know figures have been quoted here up to 9dB, but I thought this would be an interesting piece of knowledge for guys wanting to pick up ebay unmatched sets. 

Also, FWIW, he said that he's seen a lot of Core Sound modified sets come through with one dead channel.  He hypothesized that either they're all abused, or that there's something screwy with the power supply on these things.

I'm not a tech, I'm not an electronics expert, I'm just posting what the tech there told me as I'm sure this info might help some people's decisions down the line.

Cheers.

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: When one of your DPA 4061 4060 etc dies in your Core Sound HEBs...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 04:24:52 PM »
Interesting I have a set of HEB's with the same problem. Been sitting in the closet since approx 03. Thanks for the info.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 04:39:12 PM »
The HEB power supply is just a 9volt battery with 13k resistors (I believe, need to double-check my notes. I know for fact it's > 10k) and DC blocking capacitors (which control roll-off).

I can't really see anything being 'screwy' about the power supply itself other than possibly failing (short, broken solder joint, bad connection in the mini-xlr).

I would also assume that Len is buying them new from the factory, but who knows. Just consider yourself lucky he actually sent them back.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 04:49:18 PM »
Has anyone written Len to tell them that DPA sees a lot of his modified stuff coming in for repair??  Might be a good idea.  It is only fair to give Len a chance on this rather than talk about him.  I have no relation to Len nor am I a customer or business affiliate.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 04:53:04 PM »
Len's on this board.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't following this thread.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline surf1div1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 11:42:11 PM »
As if he cares? Do a search of Core Sound, and you'll see why he has such a how would you say "infamous" reputation- been there, burned too. From now on, I stay away from Len because anytime I've sent something in, it's been abused. Go figure that I've recorded with those mics maybe only 4-6 times a year and kid glove them (who wouldn't at $900+ a pair) and still they're abused. What a waste- Sent mine into DPA and they said that it wasn't abused but unfortunately because it was over 2 years they couldn't do anything about- at least it was double the warranty core gives you- but then based on the amount of feedback from others here I can understand why. If you have a superior product you can stand behind it- but Len gives you 1/2 the warranty DPA does and that is after his 'mod'. That's because your getting 1/2 the service ;-)- I just can't believe that there's still people that know about this site and STILL buy from him. Yeah, were all sour grapes because we didn't get what we want- like honest service. I will never go back to that place.

Has anyone written Len to tell them that DPA sees a lot of his modified stuff coming in for repair??  Might be a good idea.  It is only fair to give Len a chance on this rather than talk about him.  I have no relation to Len nor am I a customer or business affiliate.

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 08:29:18 PM by surf1div1 »
DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

Offline hobbes4444

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 03:26:43 PM »
Debate on, however:

One of the mics in my Core Sound HEB's died a few years ago.  I sent it back to Len who quoted me some price around $500 +/- $100 (can't remember for sure).  I requested them back, and they sat on a shelf until now.  I sent them to DPA in Colorado, who said that for $320 they would replace the broken one with a brand new one matched to within 1dB.  According to the tech I spoke with there, he said they'd do it, but that matching wasn't too important, as the variation is at max 2dB in units off the shelf.  I know figures have been quoted here up to 9dB, but I thought this would be an interesting piece of knowledge for guys wanting to pick up ebay unmatched sets. 
Cheers.

So, DPA will replace a mic in Len's set up and reattach the cable to the mic head for $320?  That's a bargain compared to Len.  I may actually do this since my mics are mismatched now by about 6dB, and that was after replacing one bad capsule with one mismatched one.  Maybe DPA can match one of the remaining capsules.  Did they give you a timeframe?

Thanks!
Dave
DPA 4061 (unmatched HEB and stock), AT933 hypercard caps (Sound Pro), Nak 300s, chopped Nak 300s
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 08:01:52 AM »
As if he cares? Do a search of Core Sound, and you'll see why he has such a how would you say "infamous" reputation- been there, burned too. From now on, I stay away from Len because anytime I've sent something in, it's been abused. Go figure that I've recorded with those mics maybe only 4-6 times a year and kid glove them (who wouldn't at $900+ a pair) and still they're abused. What a waste- Sent mine into DPA and they said that it wasn't abused but unfortunately because it was over 2 years they couldn't do anything about- at least it was double the warranty core gives you- but then based on the amount of feedback from others here I can understand why. If you have a superior product you can stand behind it- but Len gives you 1/2 the warranty DPA does and that is after his 'mod'. That's because your getting 1/2 the service ;-)- I just can't believe that there's still people that know about this site and STILL buy from him. Yeah, were all sour grapes because we didn't get what we want- like honest service. I will never go back to that place.

Cheers

I don't know these DPA's but I am a CSSC user for over 10 years.
Len has always treated me as a great customer. He answers emails very quick.
When it comes to fragile stuff like mic's there is always a chance they could break. Especially thinking about the " live " circumstances.
But the few times I've had a problem Len went out and fixed the problem ASAP. He has treated me more than fair.
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 07:33:20 PM »
FWIW, I lost one 4061 that I bought as a matched set from DPA in Denmark (some kind of fuzziness and lower output problem) and I had these for 5 years.  These mics will go out on you whether or not they come from Core or not...they can be abused to some extent but are not indestructable.  My pair, at that point were 4 years old and had probably seen 50 or more shows.  I alway treat them nicely by wiping the cables down with a damp rag and coiling the wires gently to a circle of 4 inches in diameter.  The day they went out was in the pouring rain at Fuji Rock 2007, I had them under a silicone treated ranger style hat but it was not enough, apparently.  I have recorded in the rain a few times before without any issues.

I got the same $300 deal that DPA in CO offered, they matched the output to within 0.7db and the equivalent noise floor.  They didn't give a beautiful frequency trace like when I bot the set but there is official DPA documentation that they give to you stating that the mic (serial numbers listed) is matched in output and noise level.  The mics are completely even in output and there is no difference to my ears.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com