Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: More UA-5 tweaks  (Read 8577 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
More UA-5 tweaks
« on: January 22, 2004, 07:55:14 AM »
hey now folks...

I plan on taking my digimod UA-5 and really trying to soup it up!!  

My plan:
- i'm going to try and install some level metters.  I've found tons of them (the boards w/the lights) online.  Not sure how it will be done, but I plan on giving it serious effort.  For mounting, I plan on cutting the aluminum case and inserting it someplace so that it is visable.

- analog front end.  Not sure what i'm going to do here, but I'm going to learn this thing inside and out.

- analog output.  I'm gonig to try and recruit Wayne of Boulder Cables to look into this and breathe some of his magic here.  I always like the sound of playback through the UA-5, and seeing what he can do with a $130 ART DIO (turning it into something sweet!), perhaps he can turn this into a great DAC as well.

Any other ideas?
I was thinking of maybe trying to move the toslkink/coax jacs to the front by soldering wire on the board in place of the jacks so that each one will be more like a 10" pigtail w/a female jack on the end.  That could be cool.

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
Re:More UA-5 tweaks
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 08:38:46 AM »
Moving the rear imput level to the front would be nice.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 10:15:11 AM »
locking XLRs, that should be easy enough.  Good idea!

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 10:49:17 AM »
Get the digital input to output to coax, optical as well as the USB all at once, rather than only to the USB.  Allows for DAT patching and optical  and USB outputing while still passing the coax signal - a gloryfied CO2 without all the problems associated with the CO2...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 11:11:33 AM »
what would be gained by this?  doesn't the Oade digimod allow for all digital outputs to be hot (from analog input) ?

I cant imagine running digi in to a UA-5 for any reason other than laptop recording w/a different A/D feeding the UA-5, or for DAC purposes..in which case digital output is not needed.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 11:23:39 AM »
what would be gained by this?  doesn't the Oade digimod allow for all digital outputs to be hot (from analog input) ?

I cant imagine running digi in to a UA-5 for any reason other than laptop recording w/a different A/D feeding the UA-5, or for DAC purposes..in which case digital output is not needed.
I use a Nomad 3 (optical in) and would like to patch out of DAT chains.  Right now, the ONLY device that allows me to do this is the CO2 (which sucks ass).  I could use a digital format converter like the Hosa ODLs, but they do not pass the digital coax, just convert one to the other.

And yes, the digi-mod will run all the digi-outs hot from the analog in, but when you switch to digital input, it only outputs to the USB.

It took me several attempts to explain this even to Doug, so I'm not surprised you are confused...  

So, for me, and the oterhs that use the UA5, I would like to be able to take a Sony 7-pin/digital coax output, run it into my UA5, run my Nomad out the optical, and pass the coax to the next machine in the chain.  I would like 1 device that does this as well as all the regular UA5 features, makes for 1 thing to carry in the field rather than 2 - the UA5 and a separate convertor.

So yeah, basically, I'd like a CO2 mod on my UA5 - except without all the asociated CO2 problems...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 01:31:22 PM »
so buy the hosa box and a coax splitter.
problem solved

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 06:43:39 PM »
hey now folks...

I plan on taking my digimod UA-5 and really trying to soup it up!!  

My plan:
- i'm going to try and install some level metters.  I've found tons of them (the boards w/the lights) online.  Not sure how it will be done, but I plan on giving it serious effort.  For mounting, I plan on cutting the aluminum case and inserting it someplace so that it is visable.

- analog front end.  Not sure what i'm going to do here, but I'm going to learn this thing inside and out.

There's a risk of affecting the analog pre by adding metering.
Go for the highest impedance and take the voltage off the preamp out.
You'll probably need a circuit to show peak(not rms) levels, as this is what you seek to meter. A clipping level and 6db below that should be all that you'd really need - There's not a lot of room on that front panel, did you mean the top ?  Maybe a 6db off peak light addded to Eddy's peak indicator circuit ?

Do you want to share ideas or are you trying to get some industry going ?

I'm working on a Op-Amp pre mod. I expect it to take some time, as I'm doing it on my "spare" time.

Got a full schematic?

-Bob
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 06:45:26 PM by BobW »

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2004, 06:52:45 PM »
Talking with Doug about it, and he came up w/a great idea for meeters.
This would be a seperate project box that took a 9v signal (as most meeters i've been looking at will work with this voltage) and take a signal from the UA-5's RCA outputs.  
This is the meeter i'm looking at: http://www.canakit.com/Default.asp?Contents=/Include/Template/MenuCat.asp&Main=http://www.canakit.com/Contents/Items/CK106.asp
It has cal pots on it, so it should be easy to setup and get it all dialed in.
Not looking to do anything but make it better, and I'll document the procedure w/plenty of pics and post it on my site.
:)

BobW

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2004, 11:43:33 PM »
Thanks for that !
Wouldn't the output level control affect it ? Or would you replace it with a fixed value
and split off before the control ?

Let us know if it plays.

Offline joeshambro

• Taperssection Member
  • taper turned professional FOH mixer
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 01:01:36 AM »
One thing that sucks about the UA5 -- put a power button on it that has one of those switch covers so that you can't shut it off on accident.  I've had it happen to me a couple of times..

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 10:50:48 AM »
is there an output level?  I know there is an input level controll on the RCA ins...its been a while since iv'e head one in front of me.  We'll see next week when it arrives.
I'll figure something out.
Originaly, i was thinking of just hacking the wire that goes to the level indicator on the front panel, and running it up through the top of the case to a new level controll, but i'm not sure how that would work as that single light just comes on at a given value and is not variable.

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2004, 11:00:15 AM »
so buy the hosa box and a coax splitter.
problem solved
Yeah, I've done that...  I've tried the CO2 and now am testing the Hosa ODL...

I guess you miss my point.  I want one box that does everything - so I only have to carry one thing.  If I have this or that, I'll end up losing this or that...  Or I run the risk of having loose connection due to more connections...  Or a whole myriad of things...

Terry

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2004, 01:48:43 PM »
I've got several COAX splittes, and they all fit tight, work fine..and cost about $4.  Actualy, I dont really know because I've been given all the ones I have.
I use them on my CO2 and it works like a charm.
My co2 broke, and will no longer pass the signal, just convert it.  So it was the same thing as just a sole converter like the hosa.
I understand your point perfectly, but what you want only exists in the CO2 and as you know, it sucks.  Your best bet is the hosa coax splitter on the hosa s/pdif converter.  
or...
tell the patchers to take a hike.
:)

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2004, 02:03:00 PM »
is there an output level?  I know there is an input level controll on the RCA ins...its been a while since iv'e head one in front of me.  We'll see next week when it arrives.
I'll figure something out.
Originaly, i was thinking of just hacking the wire that goes to the level indicator on the front panel, and running it up through the top of the case to a new level controll, but i'm not sure how that would work as that single light just comes on at a given value and is not variable.

Yes, the output levels are controlled by the volume dial located next to the 'Monitor SW'.

Anyhow, real level meters would be so awesome to have!

edit: The volume dial essentially attenuates the signal... turned all the way to the right it delivers the same level as whats being output over the SPDIF/USB.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 02:03:47 PM by mirth »
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com