Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Preamp Comp: Naiant littlebox vs E.A.A. PSP-2  (Read 6129 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Preamp Comp: Naiant littlebox vs E.A.A. PSP-2
« on: October 04, 2009, 09:44:26 PM »
I finally got out to do some more taping last week, so I ran another preamp comp with my new Naiant littlebox preamp.

More info on the littlebox pre is found here:
http://www.taperssection.com/index.php/topic,122871.0.html

This time, it was a comp against my EAA PSP-2 transformer preamp.  The band for this comp was the New Deal, who played at the Fox in Boulder.  The recording was made from behind the board in the taperssection.

For this comp, I used my Milab vm44-link mics, and split the mic signal and sent it to both the littlebox and to the PSP-2.  Phantom power was off on the PSP-2, and was on on the littlebox.  I also should note that you can have the littlebox built with different op amps, and my littlebox is the Burr-Brown edition.

I've got 3 song segments for comparison, and have thrown in another mystery source on 2 of the tracks to keep it interesting.

16-bit flac files for the comp can be downloaded from megaupload:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E6YP00T7

Please check out the samples and let me know what you think.  Thanks for participating!!
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Preamp Comp: Naiant littlebox vs E.A.A. PSP-2
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 09:55:43 PM »
PM Sent  :)
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 03:50:17 PM »
Thought I'd bump this to the top and encourage people to listen and provide their thoughts.

If it makes it easier and more enjoyable as a comp, I'll add that sources 3 and 7 were the special bonus sources, and the other sources are the Naiant littlebox and the PSP2.

It looks like several people have downloaded this, but I've only heard back from a couple.  If anyone would prefer a little less public exposure, please feel free to pm me your thoughts.  If I can get enough feedback, I'll provide an overall tally here in the thread in a few days.  Plus if you pm me your thoughts, I'll let you know which source was which.  :)

I'd love to hear other people's impressions.  I found this comp to be a much closer call on which I preferred than in my other littlebox vs V3 comp.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 03:12:01 AM »
Really curious to hear this. Downloading now. I'll listen tomorrow & report back.

Thanks Todd

Jeff
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 11:11:40 PM »
I downloaded without reading any of the posts in the thread...didn't want to bias my thinking in any way.

My prefs in order from most favorite to least favorite.

Track 1 --  3, 1, 2

Track 2  --  5, 4

Track 3 -- 7, 6, 8

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.159 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com