Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AES cable  (Read 2278 times)

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
AES cable
« on: June 01, 2006, 04:11:39 PM »
I want to run some AES digital cable from my desktop to my stereo (~50 ft).  I was trying to learn what AES cable is over XLR and see that it's 110 ohm instead of a typical 75 ohm digital cable.  Does that mean I can't pick up a standard mic type mil spec cable from ebay, or do I just slap a 110 ohm resistor in the end to set the proper resistance before it goes into a DAC?

Thanks!

--hoyt
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
Re: AES cable
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 05:02:50 PM »
for a run that long you should have a true 110 cable.  there is a good chance you would get dropouts using a regular mic cable.
i can make you one if you need.
kindkables.com
thanks
ed
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 05:26:18 PM »
for a run that long you should have a true 110 cable.  there is a good chance you would get dropouts using a regular mic cable.
i can make you one if you need.
kindkables.com
thanks
ed

No thanks.  I need to do it myself because I have to drop the cable in the wall, mount a face plate, and run it to the room with my PCs and do the same there.  Thanks,

--hoyt
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 01:35:59 PM »
hoyt,
     as the story goes, AES was designed to use the typical standard mic cable of the day, only a bit more tightly specified. Nowadays, mic cables comes in all kinds of shapes so you cannot really be sure what impedance they are. My suggestion is that you get the special 110 Ohm digital AES cable, better safe than sorry. An advantage of that cable is that it can be used as a mic cable withouth problems if the need arises. If you select to use normal mic cables, don´t add any resistors or anything like that, simply use quality stuff wihtout any additions.

Gunnar

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com