Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Write Once SD Cards (Archiving Recordings)  (Read 3280 times)

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Write Once SD Cards (Archiving Recordings)
« on: July 22, 2008, 08:18:09 PM »
I thought I would break out this from a previous thread as it may be of interest to some. At the moment I archive my recordings to three places, an external HDD, 2 x internal HDD drives and DVD ROM. This is an alternative to CD and DVD I suppose -

FYI

------------------------

SanDisk has recently introduced a Write Once Read Many (WORM) SD card

http://www.sandisk.com/Corporate/PressRoom/PressReleases/PressRelease.aspx?ID=4353

this is said to have an archive life of up to 100 years. Standard SD cards may start to lose data at around 10 years (apparently).

Capacities for the WORM card are only 128 Meg at the moment, with larger capacities to follow. Pricing should be OK (for important recordings).

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/20/1gb-write-once-sandisk-memory-cards-to-cost-5-99/

What I like about this method is that you can store a lot of cards in a very small space off-site.

digifish
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 08:20:59 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Houston
Re: Write Once SD Cards (Archiving Recordings)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 09:00:57 PM »
Nice find.

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Write Once SD Cards (Archiving Recordings)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 07:38:53 AM »
For forensic use I assume the cards have serial numbers, otherwise you could simply copy the data off onto a PC, tamper with it, then write it back to another card and conveniently lose the original.

Of course to simply avoid erasing an important recording on a normal SD(HC) hard, click the write protect tab across.  I wonder how easy it is to break them off to prevent accidental switching back?  After 5 years copy it to another card to refresh the data.  After another 5 years copy it to the credit card size terabyte archival storage medium they will have invented by then.  :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com