Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Whats the Best 'unofficial' multicam fan shot video you have seen?  (Read 19956 times)

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
This weekend myself and 11 friends shot video at the U2 concerts in Anaheim.  I coordinated and for the most part knew where everyone was, what camera they were using and the best settings for each camera.
Several people bought cameras for this show and people flew in from France, Germany, Canada, New York and other places for this. 

I am interested to see some clips of other multicam shoots other fans have done for other bands to get an idea if possibly what we have done could become the best unofficial audience shoot to date. 

Here is a clip of 4 of the close up angles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0hnknawDXs

I am waiting on the others to get me their footage, there are a few wide angles from the seats of course
Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Whats the Best 'unofficial' multicam fan shot video you have seen?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 02:12:26 PM »
Only two I can think of where crews of competent folks worked together for something like this would be the Ween crew that has done a ton of stuff (but I can't recommend any particular shows), and Team Hood who tapes Phish. Ween allows video taping, but Phish doesn't, so for your perspective, the later may be a better guage. Their Hampton '09 run of shows would be one to consider for analysis, I think all three nights are available. Maybe the Indio videos if they have been circulated.

I don't think I've ever seen more then 6 or 7 work together for a single show though. Thats impressive if nobody got caught at the show and you can pull off the editing.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 02:35:50 PM »
Cant think of any.But i do think more cameras is not better.I really cant see needing more than 7 or 8 for even a pro dvd release.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 02:47:27 PM »
Cant think of any.But i do think more cameras is not better.I really cant see needing more than 7 or 8 for even a pro dvd release.

7 or 8? Wow, that's a lot. I don't prefer shots changing every 30 seconds from camera to camera with silly fades so 3-5 would be good for me. seems like most musicians are already arrogant so why shove a camera in their face for extra attention?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 03:09:45 PM »

7 or 8? Wow, that's a lot. I don't prefer shots changing every 30 seconds from camera to camera with silly fades so 3-5 would be good for me. seems like most musicians are already arrogant so why shove a camera in their face for extra attention?

The best reason for 11 or 12 is because of stealthing, so there may be only 6 or 7 at any given time which are actually filming and not trying to be incognito. I figure, of 12 cameras, 4 will come off without a hitch, 1 or 2 might get caught, another might have a hardware failure, 4-5 might be only able to film segments of the show (2 min on, 6 minutes off sort of deal), so at the end of the day you end up with usable footage from 8 or 9 cameras, but you'll only get about 4-5 at any given moment to really chose from, and all of those won't be sterling shots either.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline krsb

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 03:21:39 PM »
You are off to a fine start on the edit. When you add the wide shots it will be sweet!

My audio from U2 in Zurich(Sep 11, 2011) was used for the fan based vid from that show. The editor made good use of wide shots where you can see the U2 video screen and I feel it really brings something interesting to the mix. The way U2's AV team mixes that live video on the giant screen is intense...

Good luck with the edit.

cb

ate. 

Busman BCS1, Busman BSCS-L, DPA 4023, Neumann KM 184, KM 183
Lunatec V3, Naiant Midbox
Oade ACM Marantz PMD 661, Sony D50, Tascam DR680
+ lotsa darktrain cables :-)

• Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 04:57:44 PM »
The U2 Stage is so big and complex you need more cameras for coverage. 

U2 security and venue security no longer stop people from shooting video, how can they when so many people are doing it.  Digital cameras have become so good that we all used small point and shoot cameras. 

It may be a matter of taste but I use 5-7 cameras when I am filming small club bands.  They are paying and it feeds right into their egos to know they have alot of cameras rolling.  Makes them feel they are getting their moneys worth

With regard to editing, I get what your saying about wanting to hold shots and that is great for jam bands and prog rock but I can tell you from dealing with all sorts of music that 98% of the time they want these fast rapid edits to add excitement to the video.  I try and strike a balance

Here is an example of a recent official shoot:

Bitch(rolling stones cover)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCLm7lONcgE

When i showed them the 1st draft the only thing they asked for was MORE CUTS

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 05:16:03 PM »
Digital cameras have become so good that we all used small point and shoot cameras. 

Ah, you're using PaS cameras, not camcorders. Both groups I referenced use camcorders which draws a different reaction from venue security.

Offline fischer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • diggity dank!
    • SHN LIST
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 09:03:39 PM »
If one was to even try and include point and shoot cams for Phish it would be 20+ cams :P Team Hood is most likely the most coordinated group for any band that I have seen....

Offline greatape

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • www.youtube.com/GreatTapes
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 11:52:27 PM »
This weekend myself and 11 friends shot video at the U2 concerts in Anaheim.  I coordinated and for the most part knew where everyone was, what camera they were using and the best settings for each camera.
Several people bought cameras for this show and people flew in from France, Germany, Canada, New York and other places for this. 

I am interested to see some clips of other multicam shoots other fans have done for other bands to get an idea if possibly what we have done could become the best unofficial audience shoot to date. 

I am waiting on the others to get me their footage, there are a few wide angles from the seats of course

Nice editing, good camera work.  I've found it difficult to find other camera operators with talent and the ability to take direction.  And I'm impressed with the quality of those little HX9V cameras.  I've been on the fence about getting one of those to replace an old Kodak EasyShare that I have.    I think you just helped me make up my mind.
My Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/GreatTapes

Audio:
Church Audio STC11 Cardioids>ST9000>Tascam Dr2d

Photo/Video:
Panasonic GH2
Canon HV30/HV20

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 12:04:07 AM »
Team Hood is most likely the most coordinated group for any band that I have seen....

agreed.

Offline printguy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 06:57:51 AM »
My buddies and I have filmed dozens of shows for multicam DVDs. Here's a clip from a 6 camera shoot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWQy1kYtAGo

We found that 6 was more than enough.
• CA-11 or CA-14 > Naiant TinyBox > Tascam DR-1
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 10:19:53 AM »
I was impressed with this Roger Waters show:

http://panicstream.com/video/thewall.html

Have to give props to the Ween video crew. I'm not really into watching a lot of videos, but it's nice to get the shows I've been to on DVD. They do a fantastic job.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 11:11:31 AM »
<<I was impressed with this Roger Waters show:>>

I was the filmer of this Rogers multicam.  While I agree it is a nice editing job (someone else put it together, I can barely do a straight 2-cam myself), I should note that the footage is from four separate nights.
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

• Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 11:25:47 AM »

Nice editing, good camera work.  I've found it difficult to find other camera operators with talent and the ability to take direction.  And I'm impressed with the quality of those little HX9V cameras.  I've been on the fence about getting one of those to replace an old Kodak EasyShare that I have.    I think you just helped me make up my mind.

The HX9v is a beast and its OIS is the best i have ever seen

@tapeheadoo you did do a nice job filming, were any of your shows shared 1080p?

@printguy, good video but that is a permission shoot in a small venue

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com