Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD-671 in the field part 4...  (Read 73850 times)

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
Re: Marantz PMD-671 in the field part 4...
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2007, 01:06:44 PM »
first time out in the field tomorrow with the 671. can't wait  >:D

how did it go?

i ran 483(DIN)>V3>coax>671(24/48) for TLG and Lotus @ the irvine aud. on UPenn's campus. beautiful venue, but the sound in there wasn't top notch. i started with the V3's gain @ 9 o'clock and was only peaking around -20dB for TLG first song. i jacked it up to 11 after the first tune and went over once on the V3 (but never on the 671.) i like how the bottom left corner of the 671's display shows the peak dB level throughout the recording.
the sound for lotus was a little better and found my comfort zone on the V3 @ 10 o'clock. peak level was -2dB (exactly where i wanted to be.) overall, this thing is a breeze to use! it's functionality is exactly as advertised by many on this site. i powered it with walmart Lion's and used a 8gig kingston card. no problems at all with transfer or anything. i think i found a keeper. +T everyone here with advise and tips!

i'm already thinking about the ACM mod. i think it will be in the very near future  8)

spreadheadtom

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2007, 02:13:38 PM »

how did it go?

i ran 483(DIN)>V3>coax>671(24/48) for TLG and Lotus @ the irvine aud. on UPenn's campus. beautiful venue, but the sound in there wasn't top notch. i started with the V3's gain @ 9 o'clock and was only peaking around -20dB for TLG first song. i jacked it up to 11 after the first tune and went over once on the V3 (but never on the 671.) i like how the bottom left corner of the 671's display shows the peak dB level throughout the recording.
the sound for lotus was a little better and found my comfort zone on the V3 @ 10 o'clock. peak level was -2dB (exactly where i wanted to be.) overall, this thing is a breeze to use! it's functionality is exactly as advertised by many on this site. i powered it with walmart Lion's and used a 8gig kingston card. no problems at all with transfer or anything. i think i found a keeper. +T everyone here with advise and tips!

i'm already thinking about the ACM mod. i think it will be in the very near future  8)

fwiw.....I sold my V3 to buy the ACM 671.  No regrets at all........however, I do like the sonosax in front of it  8)

+T for having fun!!

Tommy

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2007, 02:25:29 PM »

how did it go?

fwiw.....I sold my V3 to buy the ACM 671.  No regrets at all........however, I do like the sonosax in front of it  8)

+T for having fun!!

Tommy

after listening to a lot of 481/3 > ACM 671 recordings i am leaning towards it as an all-in-one box. but i do want to keep the V3...

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2007, 02:37:39 PM »
the mods for this are great, if you really want an all in one solution.
but just using it as a bit bucket or running line in from an outboard pre is also very easy and pretty sweet sounding, imo.  Buying one of these is almost one of the real no-brainers in our hobby.
I'm sure the same goes for the Tascam for that matter.  Great bucket and probably a decent A/D on it as well.  One of these days I should play w/one.
But i'm hoping that my days of PCM recording are numbered.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 02:39:34 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2007, 11:05:34 AM »
i got my 671 over the weekend but haven't had a lot of time to play with it...i've got my first run with it tonight at the fox for UM...can anyone point me to a quick start guide or give me a few pointers?  i just want to make sure i've got the bit-depth and sample rates all locked in, seamless split set up, and ready to record before i get into the fox.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2007, 11:15:45 AM »
copied from the Team 671 thread:

Here is a cheat sheet I got off this forum that was helpful to me. I don't run a 8 gig card yet but from what I've read it just keeps on going...

Marantz PMD671 Settings

Input Source Selection
press INPUT>

Compact Flash Card Format
From STOP: press MARK/EDIT (2 seconds) > press MARK/EDIT (4x) to choose FORMAT > press ENTER Format OK? > press ENTER

Presets
press MENU/STORE (2 seconds) > choose Preset > press ENTER > press F.FWD/+ > choose:

Preset1
RecFormat: 16 bit, 44.1 kHz, PCM, Stereo/ File: wav
RAW Mode: Monitor
Verify: Off
PupPreRec: Off
St Mode: Stereo
Mono Mode: Mono
Auto Mark: Off
Manual TR: On
Auto TRK: Off  5min
SeamlsPly: On
SilentSkp: Off  03sec
Auto Cue: Off  20msec
S.Monitor: Off
SinglePly: Off
Remote: StartPause
ID1Dscrpt: 000000
ID2Origin: 000000
ID3OrgRef: 000000

Preset2
RecFormat: 24 bit, 44.1 kHz, PCM, Stereo/ File: wav
Auto TRK: On  2hours

Preset3
RecFormat: 24 bit, 96 kHz, PCM, Stereo/ File: wav
Auto TRK: On  1hour

this was pretty useful to me. +T and congrats on the 671 purchase!

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2007, 11:25:45 AM »
mine is stock, but came from oade if i want to get it modded.  do the mods just improve on the preamp stage or do the oade's do anything to the a/d stage?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Dutchman1101

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2007, 11:33:51 AM »
mine is stock, but came from oade if i want to get it modded.  do the mods just improve on the preamp stage or do the oade's do anything to the a/d stage?

Just the pre as far as I know Simp. Next time I talk to Doug I'm going to try to ask.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2007, 12:28:39 PM »
how much immprovement do you think there is to be made on the line-in stage?  for now, since i will be using it with the Mini-MP that is all i will be using, although i could conceiveably put the V3 in there as an A/D convertor if i get the Oade mod on that as well...
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Offline Dutchman1101

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2007, 12:37:22 PM »
how much immprovement do you think there is to be made on the line-in stage?  for now, since i will be using it with the Mini-MP that is all i will be using, although i could conceiveably put the V3 in there as an A/D convertor if i get the Oade mod on that as well...

Simp,

I honestly think the A/D in the 671 is superior to the V3. Do some camparos for sure but I have never liked the V3's A/D. Just my opinion though. I'd def. like to hear a comp though 8)

Harrison

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2007, 09:50:32 PM »
thanks!!  that did help quite a bit, and after running through the settings i think i have a better feel for the unit.

well i got everything all set up in a new bag...i'm not entirely thrilled with the bag but i'm hoping the new sound will far exceed my accessorizing woes ;)

i'll report back after the show!!

copied from the Team 671 thread:

Here is a cheat sheet I got off this forum that was helpful to me. I don't run a 8 gig card yet but from what I've read it just keeps on going...

Marantz PMD671 Settings

Input Source Selection
press INPUT>

Compact Flash Card Format
From STOP: press MARK/EDIT (2 seconds) > press MARK/EDIT (4x) to choose FORMAT > press ENTER Format OK? > press ENTER

Presets
press MENU/STORE (2 seconds) > choose Preset > press ENTER > press F.FWD/+ > choose:

Preset1
RecFormat: 16 bit, 44.1 kHz, PCM, Stereo/ File: wav
Auto TRK: Off  5min

Preset2
RecFormat: 24 bit, 44.1 kHz, PCM, Stereo/ File: wav
Auto TRK: On  2hours

Preset3
RecFormat: 24 bit, 96 kHz, PCM, Stereo/ File: wav
Auto TRK: On  1hour

this was pretty useful to me. +T and congrats on the 671 purchase!
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2007, 11:32:27 PM »
another one from the impact zone. i am very proud of it. ran 2 different pairs of mics each set. TL's & 463's.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,80666.0.html
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

spreadheadtom

• Trade Count: (0)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2007, 09:12:14 AM »
well...first set got botched!  for some reason the 671 was counting very slowly and it only showed about 45 min recorded when the set was actually more like 1:10.  listening back to the file, it clearly skips ahead every few seconds to compensate for the smaller time window.  very strange...
i was running the 4gb PNY card given to me with the 671 for the 1st set...24/96, with both internal ni-mh's and external dvd battery connected.

for the 2nd set, i used my kingston 4gb card that i've always used with the mt2496....after formatting this showed a few extra minutes than the PNY card.  i double checked the recording profile, all was good, and ran only off of the internal ni-mh's. 2nd set came out fine.

anyone experience anything like that before?  know what caused it??
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2007, 11:56:49 AM »
well...first set got botched!  for some reason the 671 was counting very slowly and it only showed about 45 min recorded when the set was actually more like 1:10.  listening back to the file, it clearly skips ahead every few seconds to compensate for the smaller time window.  very strange...
i was running the 4gb PNY card given to me with the 671 for the 1st set...24/96, with both internal ni-mh's and external dvd battery connected.

for the 2nd set, i used my kingston 4gb card that i've always used with the mt2496....after formatting this showed a few extra minutes than the PNY card.  i double checked the recording profile, all was good, and ran only off of the internal ni-mh's. 2nd set came out fine.

anyone experience anything like that before?  know what caused it??
the pny card wasn't able to write the 24/96 stream fast enough so it created skips.  it's probably only fast enough to record at 24/48.  i use kingston elite pro 50x 2, 4 or 8 gb cards exclusively and have never had a problem with them at 24/96.
if you're planning on doing high resolutions a lot make sure you get a card that is fast enough.  you can test the write speed of the card with the deck and see how fast it is.

how do you like the sound of the 2nd set?

i thought that might be the problem...

i'll bring my OTG drive tonight (even though it has been kinda flaky since getting slightly crushed on a flight) and just use the kingston card for both sets after i transfer the 1st off during set break.  then i guess i'll look into getting a new card.

the 2nd set sounds great!  i still need to tweak the levels between the MP and the 671...i was running about 30db or so gain on the MP, with the output set to around 0, and the 671 on around 7-8...should i leave the 671 wide open and adjust the output on the MP?  or adjust the gain and leave the output where it is?  or adjust it on the 671??

in any case, i think i am going to like the MP with my MBHO's!
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com