Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Dpa 4061 mics  (Read 5938 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Dpa 4061 mics
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 08:35:38 PM »
Some interesting info on the aspects and matching requirements for measurement omnis in this document (from the parent company from which DPA originated)- Primers: Measurement Microphones (BR0567-12) - Brüel & Kjær

This is great!  I think all technical publications should be illustrated like Schoolhouse Rock! ;D
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 08:37:30 PM »
i recall that one of our well respected TS gurus stated that matched capsules are what makes a stereo pair a stereo pair.....  except for omni's.  omni's don't need to be matched.  especially when they are run as split omni's.  and i can't imagine that omni's that are worn on the body would need to be matched either.
YMMV.

alright.......  maybe i pulled this one out of my place where the sun don't shine.  :-X
of course, i have no proof of nothin'.....  but i swear i recall reading this info.

if i can dig up anything relevant regarding this potential mis-information, i'll report back.
 :P

i found what i was thinking of...  and it turns out to be opinion......  but IMO, a highly respected opinion.
so, take it as you will....
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=169601.15
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline MIQ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 08:53:13 PM »
I would never try to speak for David, but reading his post, it seems like he is talking about matching sensitivities " down to the last fractions of a dB".  That's quite a bit different than "omni's don't need to be matched".

Miq

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 09:16:48 PM »
^certified matched is matched though. 
and all mike manufacturers have different "matching" tolerances.
but a pair is either matched or not.

i may have paraphrased poorly...
he is referring specifically to spaced omni's though. 
....but a person should trust their ears...  not always just the tech specs.
YMMV.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2016, 09:21:15 PM »
I would never try to speak for David, but reading his post, it seems like he is talking about matching sensitivities " down to the last fractions of a dB".  That's quite a bit different than "omni's don't need to be matched".

Miq

The other thing to note is that different manufacturers will have different tolerances, matched pair or otherwise.  When David is saying he doesn't need to have his omnis and fig8s matched, he's talking about Schoeps, whose non-matched mics from the same production batch may very well be closer together than some "matched pairs" sold by other brands.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 02:43:12 AM »
I have a pair where someone bought individual mics off ebay, I presume used off Broadway probably, and put them together in a standard 1/8" miniplug.  That's the story which was told to me, and they were pretty reasonably priced, so I believe it.

Be really careful when buying DPA 4061 off ebay !! I've been sent 3 said to be 4061, only to discover after I chopped the LEMO plugs (and 4 fully distorted recordings) that those actually were 4060...  :banging head:

Here are 3 important rules to check out before buying DPAs from an Ebay reseller.

Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com