Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-05: Possible to cut-into recording at any point?  (Read 10125 times)

Offline Modulo3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Tascam DR-05: Possible to cut-into recording at any point?
« on: September 19, 2016, 11:56:43 AM »
Hello.

I've got a new Tascam DR-05 recorder. Since I'm new to recording it's possible I missed something about this in the manual. But I re-checked and still can't find a way to cut into a recording during playback. What I'm trying to do is simple to accomplish with an analog tape recorder: press the play button to review your recording; at any given point stop the playback; hit record to make a voice note (or whatever sounds you want), overwriting that length of the tape; then resume playback of the original recording.
I know this simple operation would require the PCM file on the DR-05 be split, a new recording spliced in at a point, erase the original recording starting at the cut-in time for as long as the new file lasts, then join the beginning of the original recording with the new recording, in turn getting joined with the end of the original. This might take up some resources but surely isn't impossible. Can I do it on-board the recorder without resorting to Audacity? If the DR-05 can't do this (behave like a regular tape recorder), then are there portable digital recorders that can?

Offline Sonus Captor

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Tascam DR-05: Possible to cut-into recording at any point?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 11:55:53 AM »
Hi Modulo3,

I don't know of any recorder with this function.

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 01:34:55 PM »
You'd have to do this in a DAW.  No overdub on this shaver.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 02:58:24 PM »
You'd have to do this in a DAW.  No overdub on this shaver.

If you install Firmware Version 2.00, you can overdub.

V2.00 additions
• An overdubbing function that allows the input and recorded signals to be mixed and recorded as a separate file has been added.

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Modulo3

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 05:09:12 PM »
@sonus captor @boltman
Thanks guys. It's what I was afraid of :(

Offline Modulo3

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 05:24:42 PM »
@dogmusic
Yeah, I looked into the overdub feature and that's not quite what I was looking for. I was hoping for a way to completely overwrite a portion of a file with a new recording as opposed to essentially mixing them together. It looks like the DR-05 doesn't have an overwrite feature at all.

@capnhook
Digital may hold many advantages, but flexibility in areas is sometimes lacking and this is a perfect example. Recordings are now enslaved to a filesystem, making seemingly simple tasks like this more difficult. I'll be looking to see whether there are digital recorders that can do this (I think some of the Marantz recorders might have this capability) although they come at a steep price. Tape might be relatively old hat, but it's flexibility comes from its simplicity. I'm considering making my next recorder an analogue one -- if I can find a 'pro' model at the right price. Cassettes rule :)

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 07:27:31 AM »
@dogmusic
Yeah, I looked into the overdub feature and that's not quite what I was looking for. I was hoping for a way to completely overwrite a portion of a file with a new recording as opposed to essentially mixing them together. It looks like the DR-05 doesn't have an overwrite feature at all.

@capnhook
Digital may hold many advantages, but flexibility in areas is sometimes lacking and this is a perfect example. Recordings are now enslaved to a filesystem, making seemingly simple tasks like this more difficult. I'll be looking to see whether there are digital recorders that can do this (I think some of the Marantz recorders might have this capability) although they come at a steep price. Tape might be relatively old hat, but it's flexibility comes from its simplicity. I'm considering making my next recorder an analogue one -- if I can find a 'pro' model at the right price. Cassettes rule :)

Actually my reply was directed to Boltman who seemed unaware of the DR-05 overdubbing feature. You however want an INSERT feature, like on a cassette machine when you'd hit the record button during playback and get that nice THWAP! on your take.

Pretty soon you'll be haunting the paint stores, looking for single-edged razor blades.  ;D
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Modulo3

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 05:49:35 PM »
Pretty soon you'll be haunting the paint stores, looking for single-edged razor blades.  ;D

Indeed :)

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 06:00:15 AM »
Hi Modulo,
it is not exactly what you are asking. But maybe it would be useful for you to use the function Marks. I have tascam dr2d, but i suppose it will be the same with dr05.

You can add marks during recording. Then you can skip to the specific mark when playing it back. Or you can download marks to DAW. Marks are numbered, maximum is 99. You can write your notes on paper and attach to it mark ID.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 07:35:49 AM »
I'm not sure the purpose of being able to rewind and insert/re-record a small segment of a recording???

With tape, that was a nice feature b/c media was limited in length.  With digital, length is almost no problem so recorder makers (I assume) built their new machines just record a new track to be inserted later with a DAW???

I'm one of the few that doesn't use Audacity (or any other real DAW).  I only use CDWave so cut tracks.  And I still use SHNTOOLs to "join" tracks together.  Its not as precise as Audacity, but is more so than rewind and re-record on cassette. 

I think if we knew more about what you were recording, and what you desire out of your end-product, we could figure out a way to get there...

Terry

ETA.  I'll play around with my HD-P2.  I do know you can "rewind" tracks for playback in the machine.  You might be able to re-record over a section...

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Modulo3

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 12:37:34 PM »
Hi Modulo,
it is not exactly what you are asking. But maybe it would be useful for you to use the function Marks. I have tascam dr2d, but i suppose it will be the same with dr05.

You can add marks during recording. Then you can skip to the specific mark when playing it back. Or you can download marks to DAW. Marks are numbered, maximum is 99. You can write your notes on paper and attach to it mark ID.

Marks are something I'm going to have to incorporate. I've only been recording for a short time, and one of the misconceptions I had about digital recorders is they could be treated like a simple tape machine. Still, I can't complain. Thanks for the suggestion, Kuba.

Offline Modulo3

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 12:57:32 PM »
I'm not sure the purpose of being able to rewind and insert/re-record a small segment of a recording???

With tape, that was a nice feature b/c media was limited in length.  With digital, length is almost no problem so recorder makers (I assume) built their new machines just record a new track to be inserted later with a DAW???

I'm one of the few that doesn't use Audacity (or any other real DAW).  I only use CDWave so cut tracks.  And I still use SHNTOOLs to "join" tracks together.  Its not as precise as Audacity, but is more so than rewind and re-record on cassette. 

I think if we knew more about what you were recording, and what you desire out of your end-product, we could figure out a way to get there...

Terry

ETA.  I'll play around with my HD-P2.  I do know you can "rewind" tracks for playback in the machine.  You might be able to re-record over a section...

You hit it right on the head: SD card media is fundamentally different from tape media: SD cards use a filesystem; they encode binary digits, not magnetic imprints; their capacity is huge in comparison to tape; etc. I need to accept things are done differently with SD recorders, even if it's not the way I would like.
To answer your question, what I had in mind was to tape street sounds in a random(ish) order (this is where the ability to FF or rewind, then cut-in at will come in handy -- think of what some people call a mash-up of sounds). I would use this soundtrack with various still images for an art project. But the randomness of being able to rewind the tape to an arbitrary point and record over is critical -- it's the cut-in points I'm after as a kind of juxtaposition of what might be entirely different landscapes.
I've thought about buying an audio interface with digital out so I can get the recordings from a tape recorder onto a computer. The inital medium (digital v. analogue) makes no difference to me. What matters is a machine that allows me do it (and is small enough to carry with me).

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 10:51:26 AM »
Plenty of small digital recorders have a file-split function built-in.  You simply FFW'ds to the spot in the existing recording where you want to insert the new material and split the existing file.

You can record a second file with the new material at any time.  After splitting the first file, you can either simply allow the two files to play back sequentially, by either simply making the new file the next thing you record (in which case the recorder names the new file sequentially), or by changing the file names so that the two files are alpha-numerically sequential in the list of all recordings in that directory of the memory card..  or you can re-join the two separate files into a single file again.  File joining and renaming are also a common function built-in to many small digital recorders.

You can do the same to sequentially play or rejoin to remainder of the original file after your "overwrite edit".  And the recording can either continue from the original split location with no overwriting of the original recording and only insertion of new material, or you can split the original file again at any point where you'd like to return to it, discarding the cut out portion and thus functioning exactly like "punching-in" and overwriting the original recording as you would with an analog tape recorder, except you have total control over how much if any of the original content is "overwritten" and you don't have to throw away the chopped out section unless you want to.

All the above can be done on a number of small recorders without transferring the files to a computer.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Modulo3

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 12:48:42 PM »
Plenty of small digital recorders have a file-split function built-in.  You simply FFW'ds to the spot in the existing recording where you want to insert the new material and split the existing file.

Hello,
I referred to my Tascam DR-05 reference manual the moment I read your post, to see if my recorder can do just that. Sadly, it appears as though it does not have that capability (divide a file during playback), although it can split (a.k.a. increment track) while in recording mode. But it's the playback splitting I'm after.
Addendum specifically relating to the DR-05: The recorder doesn't add marks to a track when I hit record during playback; it just begins a new file, leaving the original unaltered and unmarked.
You say there are small digital recorders which can divide a file during playback, and can keep the first and last parts of the original, split recording... Could you please name a few? I wouldn't mind too much having a second recorder, but the budget is low ($400 or under).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:20:30 PM by Modulo3 »

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 01:30:07 PM »
But it's the playback splitting I'm after.

Not sure which manual you have, but look up page 85 on the original manual, or page 83 on the REVISED version, and you will see the operation called "Dividing the selected file (DIVIDE). A recorded file can be divided into two at a specified position.".

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com