Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 7)  (Read 103180 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 7)
« Reply #135 on: July 19, 2016, 04:54:50 PM »
Probably a very stupid question: any recommended short usb cable to use for powering the DR-70 is on a bag and the battery is on a frontal pocket?

Search eBay or Amazon for "micro usb left angle".  The full size USB side angle may not matter to you, but the micro end you want as a left angle so the cable will come out towards the front of the recorder.

I have ALL left angle micro USB cables for my DR70D's, and with a LEFT angle Micro USB cable, it would actually exit towards the BACK of the 70D not the front, where the SD Card Slot/Batteries/Omni Mics are! A RIGHT angle Micro USB for the 70D would exit, as you said Voltronic, towards the front of the unit where the screen and buttons are, not a LEFT angle Micro tip ;)

I actually prefer the LEFT angle Micro Tip USB cables, because they still have enough clearance above the 4th XLR IN, and it neatly tucks behind the 70D when its in place :) I'll try to snap some pics soon of exactly what I'm trying to say! Anyway, here's a link to the Left Angle Micro USB>Right or Left USB A cables that I have ordered a few different times from this seller, for a total of like 7-8 cables total over 3 transactions, and I ALWAYS got my stuff within 2-3 weeks max! They sit nice and snugly in the 70D's USB input and I have not had a single problem with any of them so far :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381090437511?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And I got this decent USB splitter awhile back, so that I can power my 70D's for double the time 8)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172151661611?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

No, what you linked is a RIGHT angle on the microUSB end.  What I'm using (see picture below) is a LEFT microUSB.  The exact cable I bought doesn't seem to be available anymore, but look at the pictures for this listing which show the differences:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Left-right-angled-90-degree-Micro-USB-Male-to-USB-Data-Charge-Cable-/252231540963

The way you determine "right" or "left" angle for these is if you imagine you're driving a car out of the USB jack into the cable.  Which way do you turn?  In the case of microUSB, you do this assuming the beveled edges of the connector are facing up, as is the case on the 70D.

That's a cool battery Y-cable.  I haven't run into a recording situation long enough that I've drained more than half of my cheap PowerBank batter yet, but I do have a spare battery and this would be handy to have just in case I need to hot-swap.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #136 on: July 19, 2016, 05:39:32 PM »
The right angle usb, which I imagined did exist, is a good option.

But I see that, except for the mic input, I'm having the same problem I did with my Blackmagic Pocket camera: how to clamp the 1/8" plugs.

This is not a new problem, as since walkman times I've been making short adapters to proper sturdy connectors: 1/4" plugs and XLR sockets.

The ones I use on my BM camera are never unplugged, particularly the one for power.

Used as I am to lockable connectors, I'm thinking what could I do with the USB interface. That mini-usb is very frail and, different from cell phones, I think it's a bit more exposed to likely accidents on location, Like pulling the cable or something.

It happened to me two days ago, at home, when I had a battery connected to it and the battery fell down. The attached mini-usb bent a little, and I had to repair it. Nothing serious, but I had that type of accident with mini-usbs before. They are not reliable.

One thing I'm thinking of doing is having a cable just for power, with a plugged interface in between. Not sure yet what to use as interface.

Another thing I'm considering, this related to audio link with the camera, is finding an inexpensive way to wireless the sound to it. Particularly because of the slate beep for editing.

BTW: my wife made a DR-70 first version case. That's what got me thinking on the cables.

mfrench

« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2016, 05:55:20 PM »
A couple of us have used adhesive-backed velcro between the bottom of the DR70D and the battery, to make the battery and DR70D into a single unit.
In the images below, the battery is velcroed to the bottom of the recorder
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 05:59:29 PM by m0k3 »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2016, 07:05:31 PM »
Hmm, that battery looks awfully familiar. :)

Mine is attached with blu-tack, FWIW.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #139 on: July 20, 2016, 09:39:16 AM »
A couple of us have used adhesive-backed velcro between the bottom of the DR70D and the battery, to make the battery and DR70D into a single unit.
In the images below, the battery is velcroed to the bottom of the recorder

Did you glue velcro strips to both battery and DR-70?

The problem with blu-tack is that it doesn't hold the battery, it will just secure it to the Tascam.

BTW, I removed the top camera rig, as probably some of you did too.

mfrench

« Reply #140 on: July 20, 2016, 09:54:57 AM »
Carlos,

I did "glue" it to both the battery and recorder.  I used the Velcro name brand velcro strips, with adhesive that is pre-applied at the factory.  *I used the soft loops side on the recorder, and the hooks side on the battery.
** I thought I had done it in this arrangement, but, am mistaken now that I've taken the battery off for the first time since the velcro was applied. I apparently got it done in the opposite of what I stated in the struck sentence. Duh  :facepalm: 
If the battery fails, or, becomes no longer available, the softer loops side will at least have function of padding and isolating the recorder from table tops, etc., and prevent scratching.

*/** edit: correcting myself
** corrected
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 12:50:34 PM by m0k3 »

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #141 on: July 20, 2016, 12:18:38 PM »
I did "glue" it to both the battery and recorder.  I used the Velcro name brand velcro strips, with adhesive that is pre-applied at the factory.  I used the soft loops side on the recorder, and the hooks side on the battery.  If the battery fails, or, becomes no longer available, the softer loops side will at least have function of padding and isolating the recorder from table tops, etc., and prevent scratching.

The adhesive is strong enough to hold the battery if you are hanging the DR-70 from your shoulder?

That's why I thought of hot glue or something.

mfrench

« Reply #142 on: July 20, 2016, 12:34:39 PM »
The adhesive type used is absolutely strong. It will not ever be able to be removed.
Is it strong enough to hold the battery and recorder together? tenaciously so.
The adhesive requires a 24hour curing period without being disturbed, to create the best bond. But its integrity is superb. 
I also rigged my Sennheiser MKE2002 Binaural Artificial Head with the same adhesive velcro strips, apprx. 25 years ago, so that I could rig the mics in alternate fashion, and not just the Senn binaural protocol mounting.  The head is plastic, and, the velcro strips have not released, or otherwise caused any issues. There are strips behind and below the ears, and another at the rear base of the neck.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:15:17 PM by m0k3 »

mfrench

« Reply #143 on: July 20, 2016, 12:45:01 PM »
here are a few more pics of the velcro'd battery/recorder arrangement.

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #144 on: July 20, 2016, 12:49:24 PM »
Excellent! The ones I found on eBay that will ship to my country with none or low shipping are not that many. This one seems fine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C1510-3-RC-Receiver-ESC-6cm-x-20cm-Adhesive-Velcro-Tape-60mm-200mm-Body-Shell-/331489635818?hash=item4d2e526dea:g:F3EAAOSwpDdU7G86

mfrench

« Reply #145 on: July 20, 2016, 12:53:48 PM »
This is what I used. I post this as general info, not knowing exactly where you are.

Its really important to make sure to clean the area to be used, to remove contaminants. And make sure to give it the required adhesive cure time before trying to pull apart the joined velcro components.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #146 on: July 20, 2016, 01:02:07 PM »
I'm going to argue against bean's USB splitter cable.

1. It's not needed. The 4 AA batteries take over whenever the USB power input is disconnected.
While the AA batteries don't provide a full set of power with P48 turned on, they are more than sufficient to run during battery swaps.

2. It adds another set of connectors into the critical power chain. Keep it simple. Less cables, less mess, and less failure points.

On the other hand, looks like I'll a new battery and some double sided tape are in my future.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #147 on: July 20, 2016, 01:15:00 PM »

I've always wondered what you looked like m0k3..   ;)
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline voltronic

« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2016, 01:35:47 PM »

The problem with blu-tack is that it doesn't hold the battery, it will just secure it to the Tascam.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Securing the battery to the 70D is exactly the goal here.  Three good-sized pieces of blu-tack have been securely attaching the battery to my 70D for months now, with many trips in and out of the bag.  It does not budge.  In fact, if and when I ever remove this battery, I'll have to pry it off with some force. 

The best thing is that it's not permanent, is easily removed, and will leave zero residue.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline davepeck

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #149 on: July 20, 2016, 05:19:02 PM »
FYI, Adorama has the DR-70D for $185 after rebate today (and DR-60D MKII for $125):

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=178511.0
Telefunken M60 + TK60 / TK61 / TK62 > Tascam DR-70D

Audio | Video | Photo

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com