Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: zoom h2  (Read 143862 times)

Offline Arni99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: zoom h2
« Reply #150 on: November 06, 2007, 04:47:24 PM »
the H2 manual says when choosing a limiter(ie. limiter -concert) the gain-switch has no meaning, but it does and i still can change levels on the levelmeter?
strange....i tested it with the internal mics only.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 05:08:01 PM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #151 on: November 06, 2007, 06:13:23 PM »
The version of the manual I have says "When the AGC function is active, the [MIC
GAIN] switch setting has no effect."  AGC is different from the limiter.  Be aware that both are destructive to your audio and should not normally be used unless you cannot process your audio in a PC later.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2007, 07:59:29 AM »
I did my 1st H2-recording yesterday: placed in the front pocket of my shirt.
rear-mics(120°)
low-mic-gain
recording level 100
16bit/44.1kHz

The recording needs lots of treble-boosting and +5dB amplification in post.
Will do that later today.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #153 on: November 08, 2007, 05:19:40 PM »
Ha, lucky me.
My H2´s LINE-IN has no signal on it´s right channel.
After 2 faulty Edirol´s R09(MIC-IN) the same with the H2 I got 2 days ago.....it actually NEVER had a signal on the right channel....when using LINE-IN.....no matter what source I use(Radio, external mic+preamp, ...)
I also can change the level when recording on LINE-IN on the 0-127 scale?
Thought this wouldn´t be possible?

By the way: firmware 1.20 was released!
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/download/software/h2.php

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #154 on: November 11, 2007, 07:53:01 AM »
Hello,

I'm both a live concerts taper and a singer/songwriter (also plays electric rythm guitar in a band).
I'm looking for a new recorder that fits the following needs :

* can be used as a kind of external USB "sound card" to get rid of the latency provided by my current budget sound card when I'm doing multi-tracks recordings with Audacity, Cubase...
I'd mainly use the Zoom H2 to record with the following lineage :
    * voice : Zoom H2 built-in mics > computer (USB)
    * voice : Sony ECM-717 mic > Zoom H2 (mic-in) > computer (USB)
    * acoustic guitar : (same lineage as voice)
    * electric guitar : Vox AD-50-VT Amp (line-out) > Zoom H2 (line-in) > computer (USB)

* can be used as a loud rock shows/rehearsals recorder (120dB SPL at least!) with the following lineage :
SP-BMC-12 > SP Batt Box w/bass roll-off (no preamp!) > Zoom H2 (line-in)

I think I've understand (I'm not a native english speaker) that the Zoom H2 line-in won't do it for loud situations if you don't have a preamp (the use of a battery box w/bass roll-off would'nt be enough to prevent from clipping). Is it right?

Another question for Zoom H2 users : does the recorder have a "hold" function to "freeze" the keypad when in the pocket during a live concert?
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #155 on: November 11, 2007, 07:57:41 AM »
The H2 doesn't have low latency ASIO drivers, so don't expect low latency performance using it with a PC.  The mic input is generally felt to be noisy (compared say with a Hi-MD recorder).  The line-in socket is slightly more sensitive than it should be.  There is a hold function - hold down the menu key - but it does not stop the recorder being turned off by accident!

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #156 on: November 11, 2007, 09:12:35 AM »
The H2 doesn't have low latency ASIO drivers, so don't expect low latency performance using it with a PC. 

Thank you for your answer ;)

According to a reviewer on audiofanzine.com (french music equipment related website), it is compatible with asio4all drivers and has 5ms latency at 44.1Khz when using with FLStudio (don't know about FLStudio...).

link for french users :
http://enregistreur-poche.zoom.audiofanzine.com/produits/avis/index,idproduit,108769,mao,h2_usb.html
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #157 on: November 14, 2007, 03:40:21 AM »
The H2 doesn't have low latency ASIO drivers, so don't expect low latency performance using it with a PC. 

Thank you for your answer ;)

According to a reviewer on audiofanzine.com (french music equipment related website), it is compatible with asio4all drivers and has 5ms latency at 44.1Khz when using with FLStudio (don't know about FLStudio...).

link for french users :
http://enregistreur-poche.zoom.audiofanzine.com/produits/avis/index,idproduit,108769,mao,h2_usb.html

FL Studio is a sequencer/DAW program...I write the manuals/help for it :)

http://www.image-line.com/documents/flstudio.html

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #158 on: November 14, 2007, 04:00:32 AM »
I briefly tried it with Asio4All and found that either the input or output side didn't work, and someone elsewhere reported the same.  YMMV - it's well worth the small download anyway.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2007, 05:50:10 AM »
got the replacement H2 today...1st one had only left channel on line-in.

well, i tested the line in now on the new H2 with my mics+preamp, all fine.

then i tested it with my bbox+mics =>bingo, same fault again.

seems my SP-SPSB-9 12V bbox is killing the right channels on edirol r-09 and zoom H2s......
after that i tried it 1 more time with my preamp, same fault...only left channel recording.

had no problem with this bbox on my former iriver and my sony mz-rh1 recorders.

IF my 12v bbox causes the fault, HOW the hell can that happen technically?

well, i won´t send it in for replacement a 2nd time...my intention is to use the internal mics only.....
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 06:01:50 AM by Arni99 »

Roving Sign

« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2007, 06:29:42 AM »

seems my SP-SPSB-9 12V bbox is killing the right channels on edirol r-09 and zoom H2s......
after that i tried it 1 more time with my preamp, same fault...only left channel recording.

well, i won´t send it in for replacement a 2nd time...my intention is to use the internal mics only.....

WOW!...that bears further investigation!

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2007, 09:41:34 AM »

Get a voltmeter and see if your SP battery box is OUTPUTTING DC into the right channel. 

Just connect the voltmeter to ground and the output pin of the box's output connector (not connected to anything else) 

It should measure at or near 0 volts.  Some decks have a DC decoupling capacitor that helps protect the input from applied DC, but maybe H2 has too little protection if given too much unexpected DC power input?
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #162 on: November 15, 2007, 09:48:27 AM »

Get a voltmeter and see if your SP battery box is OUTPUTTING DC into the right channel. 

Just connect the voltmeter to ground and the output pin of the box's output connector (not connected to anything else) 

It should measure at or near 0 volts.  Some decks have a DC decoupling capacitor that helps protect the input from applied DC, but maybe H2 has too little protection if given too much unexpected DC power input?
i just measured the output with a connected 3.5mm cable plugged in.
the TOP-ring of the plug shows: 150mV
the middle ring shows: 80mV
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 09:50:05 AM by Arni99 »

Roving Sign

« Reply #163 on: November 15, 2007, 09:52:46 AM »

Given his history - perhaps this is true of the R9 as well??

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #164 on: November 15, 2007, 10:25:47 AM »

i just measured the output with a connected 3.5mm cable plugged in.
the TOP-ring of the plug shows: 150mV
the middle ring shows: 80mV

Well, the plot thickens as NO help from this. 

Middle ring usually the right channel, which is lower than tip-left channel voltage.  Either is low enough to only cause a pop sound in the audio, never a 'smoke' problem to anything.  

Do make sure everything (mic/power/preamp) is connected up and powered working to be recording, except no deck connection, just voltmeter to read output plug.  If not electrical, then mechanical is most suspect.  

SO MAYBE THIS IS A MECHANICAL STRESS ISSUE like R-09?  Usually by wiggling a broken input you can sometimes get the audio back if holding plug in some position.  Maybe try this with phones on?

If you can hear the audio come back momentarily in the phones while in REC/standby, then mechanical failure (PCB board/input connector) is most likely.

I am also 'proud owner' of a H2 deck and never had a problem in just over a month, maybe only because still inside an unopened box waiting for review time.  Now you got me thinking 'somebody' should open one up and see what's up?  

Just maybe the input jacks are like R-09 just 'waiting' for an excuse to break?  

Suggest seeing this through with getting another trying not giving it an excuse, like using straight in plugs or long handled right angle types, especially with stiff cord.

And is there more gluing down input jacks in our future for the opportunity to own a really cheap deck that still works?

Or is the specter of another parade of broken jacks just a mirage.  Say it's so!

Roland's refusal to get the correct jacks installed after more than a year seems intention to making decks with break-away jacks a good practice!
And now maybe Zoom H2 has followed to spoil the party.  

This would be more humorous to me, but because I think these tiny, inexpensive decks are fun to use; more or less produce very satisfying quality audio especially with enhancing accessories, but shouldn't we be expecting most of us having two years trouble-free ride?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 11:08:18 AM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com