Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ad-1000 set up questions  (Read 15839 times)

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
ad-1000 set up questions
« on: July 14, 2005, 08:56:34 AM »
Hey now, I just recently got an ad-1000 .I have never run one of these so a little help with were I should be would be cool.I currently run 4023>m148> so thats what will be in front of the ad-1000.Also whats the best bag for this thing.I have seen people with those rakgear bags but were using mini-me's.I know this ad-1000 is suposed to get hot so would the rakgear bag work?Any input would be apperiated.Thanks

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
Re: ad-1000 set up questions
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 10:23:05 AM »
i run my ad1k in the back portion of the rackgear bag standing vertically.  I think i posted pics...i'll search for them.  It gets way hot, but enough to be an overwhelming cause for alarm.

if i don't use the rackgear bag, I run it outside of whatever bag i bring, sitting inside the wodden case i bought for it. 
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend

The Upstream Mend

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 10:28:26 AM »
if you can't get a wooden case, a good option is to buy some packing foam, and cut it to fit the back end of the ad1k, so that there is room for the cables to exit without bending. and put it in the bag so that there's not much around it, so the vents can breathe.

4023>m148>1k. drools.  ;D

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 10:30:37 AM »
don't mean to rain on your parade, but didn't Mic D have trouble getting enough gain out of the 148>1k setup with his 4022's?

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 10:39:20 AM »
can't remember.  I've had no gain problems yet with km184>m148>ad1k, but then again, I've really only run it fob for the Truckers, so gain really wasn't an issue  ;D

The Upstream Mend

marc0789

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 10:49:08 AM »
don't mean to rain on your parade, but didn't Mic D have trouble getting enough gain out of the 148>1k setup with his 4022's?

good point. I realized when I read your post that I never ran a 1k behind the oade. However, Eric Swanson is doing it, and has had no problems. I imagine you might struggle a bit for gain running for acoustic shows (I did even when running an eaa>1k) but still enough to get by. So I think it'd be ok, as long as you run at the hottest line in gain on the 1k.

marc0789

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 10:52:05 AM »
well couldn't you just add a third big box and get that extra gain that the v3 gives me in even the quietest shows?

it also gives you some nifty digital hiss when run way up, Moke.  :P Ask Skalinder about that.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 10:55:30 AM »
well couldn't you just add a third big box and get that extra gain that the v3 gives me in even the quietest shows?

it also gives you some nifty digital hiss when run way up, Moke.  :P Ask Skalinder about that.

huh? I've got some of moke's acoustic tapes where he is running the V3 literally WIDE open and there's no noise... I'd guess you have a bad V3 if it gets noisy and high gain levels

edot: what moke said :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

marc0789

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 11:01:52 AM »

huh? I've got some of moke's acoustic tapes where he is running the V3 literally WIDE open and there's no noise... I'd guess you have a bad V3 if it gets noisy and high gain levels

edot: what moke said :)

skalinder ran a sx-m2 in front of the v3 for a del mccoury show, and loud hiss is present. maybe the sonosax? he'd have a better idea than I would. I do know that Eric Swanson ran it wide open for unamplified music and noticed tons of noisy artifacts. probably ask those guys.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 11:12:28 AM »
skalinder ran a sx-m2 in front of the v3 for a del mccoury show, and loud hiss is present. maybe the sonosax?

Definitely the Sax.  I've run both the V3 and SX-M2/LS2 > V3 wide f-ing open.  The V3 alone proved very, very quiet.  (And so did the T+ Ua5, for that matter.)  Running SX-M2/LS2 at 0dB > V3 to crank the gain proved quite noisy.  I first thought it was the HVAC system, but it's not variable enough - gotta be noise from the SX-M2/LS2.  Most of the time, it doesn't matter since I use the /LS2 in LOUD situations with minimal gain.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 11:12:52 AM »
I have seen people with those rakgear bags but were using mini-me's.I know this ad-1000 is suposed to get hot so would the rakgear bag work?Any input would be apperiated.Thanks

This is what I have my MiniMe in. Should fit into about any backpack and I'd imagine it would be fine with the AD1K.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 11:16:11 AM »
thanks guys .I do know with my dpas it might be iffy at some shows with the gain cause I know it takes alot to get my levels right.FOB at a loud show I'm sure I'll be fine.and it did come with a wooden case

marc0789

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 11:39:16 AM »
skalinder ran a sx-m2 in front of the v3 for a del mccoury show, and loud hiss is present. maybe the sonosax?

Definitely the Sax.  I've run both the V3 and SX-M2/LS2 > V3 wide f-ing open.  The V3 alone proved very, very quiet.  (And so did the T+ Ua5, for that matter.)  Running SX-M2/LS2 at 0dB > V3 to crank the gain proved quite noisy.  I first thought it was the HVAC system, but it's not variable enough - gotta be noise from the SX-M2/LS2.  Most of the time, it doesn't matter since I use the /LS2 in LOUD situations with minimal gain.

brian, that makes sense. my bad. and most definitely not HVAC noise. it was kinda surprising, because if anything, grace products are clean.

marc0789

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 11:40:35 AM »
enjoy...I'm gonna go out on an opinion limb and say that this might be the finest sounding small diaphragm cardioid rig you can run.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com