Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Running AKG CK-61 actives  (Read 5627 times)

Offline bucsab12

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Running AKG CK-61 actives
« on: September 03, 2016, 06:50:08 PM »
Can someone please  provide some information on how to run the AKG CK-61 actives and what equipment and mods will be needed?
Do I have to use a preamp like the nbox or would it be possible to use the 9V provided by the CA-9100 which I already own?
I will only use the mics for stealth purposes, using clips, so I would like the mics to be as small as possible, running them with no mic body.
Preferably, if it will be possible, I would like the mics that run directly into the CA-9100 preamp and from there into the Sony PCM-M10.
Any pictures of the equipment will be greatly appreciated as well.
Thank you very much in advance.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Running AKG CK-61 actives
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 07:03:54 PM »
To my knowledge you will not be able to run ck61 from a 9 volt preamp. You will need the active cables made by schoepsnbox at a minimum. The smallest solution would probably be to get the cables terminated in PFAs from Naiant and run them off of a recorder that supplies phantom power.

Maybe Naiant's new product, the IPA, could power them and provide a solution to running them with a mini input recorder.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 07:27:10 AM »
Smallest solution would be AKG ck61> Nbob AKG kcy cable> Naiant kcy IPA> Sony PCM-m10.  You need the Nbob activates to be built as a kcy because the IPA doesn't support the Nbox wiring and power setup.  Using the church pre won't work, but what I listed above is a smaller setup.

Edit: here is a link to the IPA thread if you scroll down you can see a schoeps setup without cabs and recorder.  If you bought Nbob actives they would be lower profile than the official Schoeps KCY cable.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=176836.15#lastPost
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 12:30:32 PM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline bucsab12

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 05:51:42 PM »
Thank you very much for the answers. That thread has some great information in it and some really slick setups.
Can you please explain to me what Nbob and KCY stand for?
From what I have been able to find, the KCY cable has two connectors that terminate to one output that goes into the IPA.
I have been only able to find the Schoeps one which is really expensive. Is there an Nbob cable for AKG mics and what would be the price for such a cable? Where can I buy it from?
Regarding the Naiant IPA, is the KCY option standard for the IPA or is it a special configuration?
and lastly, I would really appreciate it if you could tell me where are the most recommended places to buy a matched pair of AKG CK-61 capsules? Are there clips that can be used with these capsules?
Thank you for all the help!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 05:57:23 PM by bucsab12 »

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 06:24:29 PM »
Contact Justin for AKG ck61 caps he is a member here!! jkm78 is his handle and he works for prosound

Contact Schoepsnbox who it a member here and he can build the actives.  These are not made by akg so you won't find them online only through Taperssection.  Let him know you want the KCY configuration.

Contact Jon Naiant:  Buy a schoeps KCY IPA and XLR>1/8 cable and you will be all set.  http://naiant.com/studio-electronics-products/inline-devices/ipa-flexible-power-inline-amplifier/

This would be a super lowpro rig, but it won't be super cheap if the Schoeps KCY cable seemed expensive. 

Edit:  You could also have Schoepsnbox build you a Nbox preamp, which wouldn't be as small but is a great steath rig as well. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 06:40:02 PM by jbell »

Offline bucsab12

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 07:02:34 PM »
Thank you very much jbell for all the information.
I will pm all those member to try and find out what will be the cost of all the equipment needed to run this setup.
Thanks again for all the help!

Offline jefflester

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 10:47:10 PM »
KCY is model of a Schoeps active cable that combines two capsules from the collete series into a common 5-pin connector for use with other devices (like a preamp).
http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/kcy
The Schoeps collete series sort of serves as the blueprint for the use of active cables connecting remote capsules to a variety of powering/preamp options.
Schoeps collete series: http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/categories/overview-mod-mi

The TS member schoepsnbox jbell mentioned has built for many years a preamp/powering unit called an "Nbox" for use with Schoeps capsules using the KCY cable. Also for many years, tapers have been interested in a similar setup for other mic manufacturer's capsules (AKG, MG, MBHO, etc). These other manufacturers mechanical and electrical design of how the capsules screw onto (and are powered by) their respective mic bodies were all different, you couldn't just screw AKG capsules onto the Schoeps KCY cable for instance. Along came another TS member with user name followinbob who had extensive machining knowledge and capability and he started working with schoepsnbox (Nick) to machine adapters that could fit the other manufacturers capsules. "Nbob" is a mashing together of Nbox and followinbob -> creating Nbob. So "schoepsnbox" now offers active cables to work with his Nbox for other mic capsules (not sure of how many different ones actually). The Nbox input connector is the same as the 5-pin on Schoeps KCY cable. As jbell mentioned, this is custom gear, designed and built for the taping community.

Caveat: I own none of this gear, this info is just what I've understood from reading TS over the years. Other folks feel free to correct me if any of it is wrong.
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 12:24:24 PM »
This isn't correct info!  The Nbox uses a different wiring setup than the schoeps kcy cable.  Nick can build kcy Nbox preamps, but the standard Nbox don't use kcy cables

KCY is model of a Schoeps active cable that combines two capsules from the collete series into a common 5-pin connector for use with other devices (like a preamp).
The Schoeps collete series sort of serves as the blueprint for the use of active cables connecting remote capsules to a variety of powering/preamp options.
Schoeps collete series: http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/categories/overview-mod-mi

The TS member schoepsnbox jbell mentioned has built for many years a preamp/powering unit called an "Nbox" for use with Schoeps capsules using the KCY cable. Also for many years, tapers have been interested in a similar setup for other mic manufacturer's capsules (AKG, MG, MBHO, etc). These other manufacturers mechanical and electrical design of how the capsules screw onto (and are powered by) their respective mic bodies were all different, you couldn't just screw AKG capsules onto the Schoeps KCY cable for instance. Along came another TS member with user name followinbob who had extensive machining knowledge and capability and he started working with schoepsnbox (Nick) to machine adapters that could fit the other manufacturers capsules. "Nbob" is a mashing together of Nbox and followinbob -> creating Nbob. So "schoepsnbox" now offers active cables to work with his Nbox for other mic capsules (not sure of how many different ones actually). The Nbox input connector is the same as the 5-pin on Schoeps KCY cable. As jbell mentioned, this is custom gear, designed and built for the taping community.

Caveat: I own none of this gear, this info is just what I've understood from reading TS over the years. Other folks feel free to correct me if any of it is wrong.

Offline bucsab12

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 09:20:54 AM »
Thank you jefflester for the detailed explanation. Now everything is starting to make sense  :cheers:
I am still trying to figure out what will be the price of a matched pair of AKG CK-61 capsules.
I have tried to contact Justin (jkm78) but it seems like he hasn't been online for quite some time.
I have sent a question to the "Pro Sound" store a week ago but I haven't heard back from them either.
Are there any other reputable places with good service that you would recommend to buy she capsules from?

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 09:41:38 AM »
Justin's email is justin at pro-sound.com. I would contact him there.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline bucsab12

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 10:06:29 AM »
Thanks vanark. I will give it a try.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)

Offline bucsab12

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 05:50:37 PM »
Thanks for the link. I have purchased my recorder along with other equipment from b&h in the past.
I have seen the capsule on their site during my initial search, but I did not see any option of buying a matched pair of AKG CK-61 capsules.
From posts I have read, there might be a sensitivity difference of a few dB between the capsules if I buy them separately.
That is why I would like to buy them as a matched pair.

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 07:20:16 PM »
You cannot buy factory "matched" pairs AKG does not offer them. Got lucky and recently scored a NIB set on Ebay for under 250 but buying from an authorized dealer your looking at 450-500 for a set.  The ones i got recently were close in serial number and seem to be closely matched in testing so deals are out there if diligent
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline jefflester

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 11:04:12 PM »
My mistake, I thought in the earlier days the Nbox setup used KCY (or some other similar official Schoeps cable) as the basis, which was then modified by Nick. My main point being, the Nbox started as a device for Schoeps capsules only before branching out to other brands of caps.

This isn't correct info!  The Nbox uses a different wiring setup than the schoeps kcy cable.  Nick can build kcy Nbox preamps, but the standard Nbox don't use kcy cables

DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.123 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com