Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nagra to announce new preamp at NAB  (Read 16219 times)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Nagra to announce new preamp at NAB
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2011, 12:46:51 AM »
I've heard rumors of a grace lunatec v4 where the big new feature is a built in 2 channel recorder. I think I would prefer that over the nagra... feature wise.

Never gonna happen.  Mike Grace has dispelled that rumor for years.

Recorders are not what they do.  They do high quality amplifiers and they do them very well. 

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2011, 11:43:15 PM »
http://www.iberalp.com/web/contenido.jsp?marca=16&producto=597&idioma=en&nombre=Nagra-EMP

• recording 16bit / 32-48khz only (John said the same thing on GS the other day)
  • +15dbu out max. (presuming I've converted the 4.4V correctly)

That's crap... Much less attractive to me now. I mean, a sax will do +20dbu out, and a V2/V3 even more then that... It's one thing to bolt on a shitty recording mechanism, but there is zero reason for me to buy an expensive pre-amp when I'll effectively get 12-14dbu of gain out of it...

>:(
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Napo

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2011, 01:37:35 AM »
http://www.iberalp.com/web/contenido.jsp?marca=16&producto=597&idioma=en&nombre=Nagra-EMP

• recording 16bit / 32-48khz only (John said the same thing on GS the other day)

That's crap... Much less attractive to me now. I mean, a sax will do +20dbu out, and a V2/V3 even more then that... It's one thing to bolt on a shitty recording mechanism, but there is zero reason for me to buy an expensive pre-amp when I'll effectively get 12-14dbu of gain out of it...

>:(

page,

I am confused in the specs I read 'Input level adjustment range      50 dB Mic'
In addtion they say that it is good for classic music so gians should be there for quite music. What I do not like is the limited duration of batteries - Aprox 2 hours with Phantom and recording.
Any official price?

CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2011, 03:00:38 AM »
Any official price?

I haven't seen one yet.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2011, 02:00:31 PM »
So for clarification, I spoke with the only (retail) person I knew who had contact with Nagra and his response was this:

I spoke to Nagra and they informed me that they showed a mock unit of the
EMP at NAB, but it hasn't been officially released yet.  With that in mind
there is no literature on this unit yet and no known release date.

So the specs quoted above may improve.

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2011, 05:56:57 AM »
"no known release date"...

hmm- mabey they're looking for interest?

The "lite" version of the LB- the LB-S was ditched in the end, mabey that'll happen here...?

JimP
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2011, 02:31:09 AM »

Sorry, but it sounds like you have mixed things up a bit. The +15dBu is the maximum output voltage of the box. This is a healthy professional level.

Gain is a totally separate matter. Just to be clear, a box with 0dB gain might have +15dBu as max output, another box with 70dB gain might have +4dBu as max output level. The two figures gain and max output are not directly related.

// gunnar

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
    « Reply #37 on: July 01, 2011, 09:55:24 AM »

Sorry, but it sounds like you have mixed things up a bit. The +15dBu is the maximum output voltage of the box. This is a healthy professional level.

Gain is a totally separate matter. Just to be clear, a box with 0dB gain might have +15dBu as max output, another box with 70dB gain might have +4dBu as max output level. The two figures gain and max output are not directly related.

// gunnar

very true, however the gain that I'd get out of it was based on the output of my mics (which I didn't mention, my bad). My beyer 930s average an output just above 0dbu for what I record, so if the max output of the preamp is +15dbu, then I'm only getting about 12-15dbu of gain out of the box before I'd hit it's top limit. I wouldn't complain, except my 722 takes a (non-attenuated signal) of +20. For the price this will be, I shouldn't have to add 5db of gain on the recorder.

With no official specs nailed down, maybe they will improve it, I mean the VI which I gather is what this is intended to be paired with takes up to +24dbu on it's line inputs.[/list]

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
      « Reply #38 on: July 05, 2011, 07:29:24 AM »
      very true, however the gain that I'd get out of it was based on the output of my mics (which I didn't mention, my bad). My beyer 930s average an output just above 0dbu for what I record, so if the max output of the preamp is +15dbu, then I'm only getting about 12-15dbu of gain out of the box before I'd hit it's top limit. I wouldn't complain, except my 722 takes a (non-attenuated signal) of +20. For the price this will be, I shouldn't have to add 5db of gain on the recorder.
      Hmm. I have read your conversation several times, thinking whether I should answer it or not. I simply cannot stop myself, might not be to your benefit but hopefully for others reading this forum.

Basically, with a 722 you do not need any more preamps to get the gain you need. Simply connect the mic into the 722, turn on phantom power and turn up the gain. There is plenty enough gain there.

If you really want  to have the external preamp, gain is not really what is missing. So simply setting the gain staging correctly will work. A little more or less in the external preamp or in the 722 makes very little difference when working on line level signals.

So, I guess, what you want to have is a change in sound. You might want the mic preamp to create a specific sound for you. Totally reasonable as such, but why choose one clean preamp in favor of another clean preamp? Especially with a modern transformerless condensor mic ( see below) . Both the 722 and the Nagra have preamps that tends toward the clean gain without coloring camp. It might be possible to hear a very slight difference in a blind AB test, but I would not bet too much money on that. If you really want to change the sound, it might be better to aim for a preamp that has a different tonality. There are several available, one example might be the Neve Portico.

Note on mics: modern transformerless Condensor mics are rather insensitivy to what mic preamp you set behind, at least compared to other mic types. The low impedance output is rather less sensitive for the loading from the mic and the high output level sets less demands on gain. Contrast this with, say, a ribbon microphone. These have much lower output levels requiring much more gain from the preamp, and also sports a rather high impedance output through a transformer and can sound quite different depending on the load the preamp gives the mic.

// Gunnar

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
      « Reply #39 on: July 05, 2011, 10:21:13 AM »
      Hmm. I have read your conversation several times, thinking whether I should answer it or not. I simply cannot stop myself, might not be to your benefit but hopefully for others reading this forum.

Basically, with a 722 you do not need any more preamps to get the gain you need. Simply connect the mic into the 722, turn on phantom power and turn up the gain. There is plenty enough gain there.

If you really want  to have the external preamp, gain is not really what is missing. So simply setting the gain staging correctly will work. A little more or less in the external preamp or in the 722 makes very little difference when working on line level signals.

So, I guess, what you want to have is a change in sound. You might want the mic preamp to create a specific sound for you. Totally reasonable as such, but why choose one clean preamp in favor of another clean preamp? Especially with a modern transformerless condensor mic ( see below) . Both the 722 and the Nagra have preamps that tends toward the clean gain without coloring camp. It might be possible to hear a very slight difference in a blind AB test, but I would not bet too much money on that. If you really want to change the sound, it might be better to aim for a preamp that has a different tonality. There are several available, one example might be the Neve Portico.

Note on mics: modern transformerless Condensor mics are rather insensitivy to what mic preamp you set behind, at least compared to other mic types. The low impedance output is rather less sensitive for the loading from the mic and the high output level sets less demands on gain. Contrast this with, say, a ribbon microphone. These have much lower output levels requiring much more gain from the preamp, and also sports a rather high impedance output through a transformer and can sound quite different depending on the load the preamp gives the mic.

// Gunnar

In short, yes. I agree with all of your points (and have for some time). It's not raw gain I'm in search of but flavor, technically I can run my mics in line-in on the 722 and still have gain to spare.  ;D Now, there are a couple of reasons that I'm concerned about the gain, but it's not a clear-cut issue as it might be for others;

What started this was I heard the shootout between the VI and the 788 on GS and I could tell the difference between the 788 and the VI on off-axis micro detail (someone coughing, the shutting of a door in the distance, etc), now whether that's gain or A/D stage is something I can't remember (and intended to clarify later). Now for what we do, that's sort of meh, but every now and then I schlep out to the country and do nature recording which is virtually all micro detail (yes, I'd need more gain, but again, this is a flavor issue). Both scenarios are valid as at this stage in my hobby, I won't buy a preamp for just one of the situations.

(plus, i can haz gear lust)

RSS | Mobile
      Page created in 0.267 seconds with 39 queries.
      © 2002-2024 Taperssection.com