Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The Perfect Stealth Rig ??  (Read 46676 times)

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
The Perfect Stealth Rig ??
« on: August 14, 2004, 02:46:13 PM »
Call me curious.  Actually, I'm thinking big and looking ahead.
What is your idea of the perfect stealth rig? 8)
(If you can include ballpark prices, that would be great!)
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: The Perfect Stealth Rig ??
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 02:52:35 PM »
You'll likely get a whole slew of different answers as we all have different preferences: tolerances on size/bulk, battery/power consumption, and of course sonic signatures of our mics/pres/ADCs/playback systems, etc.  For me, the perfect stealth gear is:

Schoeps MK41 (hypers) / Schoeps KCY 250/2Ig > Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 > Sony D100

Ballpark price: around three grand (and reflecting on that price, damnit I've gotta get out and stealth more!).  I've thought about throwing a modSBM-1 in the mix and may do so in the future, but am not sure I want to schlep around another piece of gear in my crotch.  :P

Actually, I take it back - best stealth setup is MK41 / KC5 / CMC6 > V3 > NJB3, but I can only swing that setup when I don't have to crotch the gear!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Robby Grossman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • 17' stand, c1000s > digimod ua5 > jb3 :-D
    • http://www.robbygrossman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 02:53:09 PM »
Call me curious.  Actually, I'm thinking big and looking ahead.
What is your idea of the perfect stealth rig? 8)
(If you can include ballpark prices, that would be great!)

Personally, I'd say CMC-4's clipped on visor or hat > Batt Box > MD (or JB3 if you can afford the bulkiness/size) would work pretty well.  If you can afford it and still stealth it, maybe Batt Box > AD20 > md/jb3 ?

Figure ~$400, without the AD20.
--Robby
AIM: RobbyPlaysGuitar

17' stand, c1000s > digimod ua5 > jb3 :-D

Offline Robby Grossman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 02:54:21 PM »
You'll likely get a whole slew of different answers as we all have different preferences: tolerances on size/bulk, battery/power consumption, and of course sonic signatures of our mics/pres/ADCs/playback systems, etc.  For me, the perfect stealth gear is:

Schoeps MK41 (hypers) / Schoeps KCY 250/2Ig > Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 > Sony D100

Ballpark price: around three grand (and reflecting on that price, damnit I've gotta get out and stealth more!).  I've thought about throwing a modSBM-1 in the mix and may do so in the future, but am not sure I want to schlep around another piece of gear in my crotch.  :P

Actually, I take it back - best stealth setup is MK41 / KC5 / CMC6 > V3 > NJB3, but I can only swing that setup when I don't have to crotch the gear!
Wow, could you really get all that in?  That's way better than my stealth setup, but I always worry about getting busted and walking out with nothing, so I go as small as possible.
--Robby

Offline Josephine

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 03:01:05 PM »
I'm looking for something really compact.  Most of the venues I go to search and have metal detectors, so I'm interested in equipment that will be easy to get through security.  The smaller and easier to explain away, the better.  Going undetected is probably the most important factor for me.  Simplicity would be another great plus (especially at my recording stage now lol).  Of course, its sound quality is important, too.

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2004, 03:04:08 PM »
Wow, could you really get all that in?  That's way better than my stealth setup, but I always worry about getting busted and walking out with nothing, so I go as small as possible.

Yup.  The stealth setup (Schoeps MK41 (hypers) / Schoeps KCY 250/2Ig > Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 > Sony D100)  is easy - fits down my pants.  Haven't had to go through a metal detector yet, but I know a buddy with the exact same setup who's gotten through detectors (don't know if he didn't set them off or told them he had a cock ring or what).

Getting the full setup in (MK41 / KC5 / CMC6 > V3 > NJB3) is easy with a small fanny pack if they're not patting down.
I'm looking for something really compact.

If you can get into a good location, it's tough to beat the size/performance of something like DPA 4061 > MPS-something-or-other battery box, forget the model name) > D100/M1 or MD or NJB3.

I'm sure someone will chime in with the Sound Professionals and/or AT mic stealth setups as well - great size/performance on a budget.
Roland R-05

Offline Robby Grossman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004, 03:04:58 PM »
I'm looking for something really compact.  Most of the venues I go to search and have metal detectors, so I'm interested in equipment that will be easy to get through security.
This is why I like MD for stealth.  You can just plug in headphones and then you don't even have to hide it.
--Robby

Offline Josephine

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2004, 03:16:02 PM »
If you can get into a good location

Ahhh, which brings up another question.  Just what is a "good" location?
I was under the impression that the best place to record from was a ways back and centered. 
However, here I've read alot about getting up close to one of the stacks.
Although I do plan on some indoor shows, the majority of my recording attempts will be
at outside venues, such as The Greek Theatre or the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles.
Where are the best seats  ??

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 03:27:48 PM »
If you can get into a good location

Ahhh, which brings up another question.  Just what is a "good" location?
I was under the impression that the best place to record from was a ways back and centered. 
However, here I've read alot about getting up close to one of the stacks.

Depends on the venue and your listening preferences.

I've never been a big fan of stealth stack recordings.  They just sound flat to me, no air, no space, kinda like a soundboard.  A ways back and centered provides some of the sonic characteristics I enjoy in most live recordings - image, soundstage, a sense of space.  Best bet - try both and see which you prefer.

Sorry, can't help with seat locations for the venues you listed, but usually somewhere between 10-30 rows back works well.  All depends on how far the stacks are split, etc.  Check the Venue forum - maybe someone has commented on the sweet spots for those venues.
Roland R-05

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2004, 07:20:18 PM »
Hey Brian, out of curiosity how big is the Sanosax compared to a PS2/AD20 combo?

I can't get both of those in + all my other stuff. Recording with AT853s and phantom power modules almost seems like recording with actives and bodies, but minus the great sound.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2004, 07:26:58 PM »
akg 414 c-uls > nagra iv-s reel to reel from FOB!! 

now that's entertainment.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2004, 07:50:45 PM »
Hey Brian, out of curiosity how big is the Sanosax compared to a PS2/AD20 combo?

I can't get both of those in + all my other stuff. Recording with AT853s and phantom power modules almost seems like recording with actives and bodies, but minus the great sound.

Lazy bum!  :P
 Sax:  5.75" x 3.40" x 1.60" | XLR ins on 5.75" x 1.60" side, outs on opposite 5.75" x 1.60" side
 PS2:  4.00" x 3.00" x 1.25" | XLR ins on 3.00" x 1.25" side, outs via cable from the other 3.00" x 1.25" side
AD20:  5.75" x 3.00" x 1.25" | XLR ins on 3.00" x 1.25" side, coax/optical out on 5.75" x 1.25" side
Adding right-angle connectors to the inputs increases the 3.40" dimension about +1".  On my unit the XLR inputs are replaced with a 5-pin binder plug that matches my KCY cable.  For outputs, I always use the 1/8" stereo out.  If all this makes no sense, check out the pics on the Sonosax website or in my Rig Pics post (the XLR ins attach in the same place as the KCY cable from my Schoeps caps), or in Dr. Phob's Rig Pics post (you can see the 1/8" stereo line-out, the XLR ins attach on the same face plate).
Roland R-05

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2004, 08:18:22 PM »

Lazy bum!  :P
 Sax:  5.75" x 3.40" x 1.60" | XLR ins on 5.75" x 1.60" side, outs on opposite 5.75" x 1.60" side
 PS2:  4.00" x 3.00" x 1.25" | XLR ins on 3.00" x 1.25" side, outs via cable from the other 3.00" x 1.25" side
AD20:  5.75" x 3.00" x 1.25" | XLR ins on 3.00" x 1.25" side, coax/optical out on 5.75" x 1.25" side
Adding right-angle connectors to the inputs increases the 3.40" dimension about +1".  On my unit the XLR inputs are replaced with a 5-pin binder plug that matches my KCY cable.  For outputs, I always use the 1/8" stereo out.  If all this makes no sense, check out the pics on the Sonosax website or in my Rig Pics post (the XLR ins attach in the same place as the KCY cable from my Schoeps caps), or in Dr. Phob's Rig Pics post (you can see the 1/8" stereo line-out, the XLR ins attach on the same face plate).

Lazy and on dial up what can I say.  ::) Thanks, + to you.

I know I'll end up getting an MP2 (if I can find one) or a sax, PS2/AD20 is almost too bulky.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2004, 08:21:00 PM »
Lazy and on dial up what can I say.  ::) Thanks, + to you.

I know I'll end up getting an MP2 (if I can find one) or a sax, PS2/AD20 is almost too bulky.

Ewwwww...dial-up.  Even though I was kidding around, I take it back!  Ugh...I don't even remember dial-up days any longer.  MP2 is definitely a great option, and a heckuva lot less expensive than the Sax.
Roland R-05

Offline Josephine

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2004, 08:29:07 PM »
Guys ~ what's an MP2?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 09:29:23 PM by Josephine »

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com