Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Did I let the smoke out?  (Read 4011 times)

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
Did I let the smoke out?
« on: April 10, 2004, 12:32:33 PM »
Schnikies. Everything sounds fine now, so I don't think I did, but I'm sure y'all have more informed opinions.

Denon AVR-1603
Canare speaker cable, bare wire connections
B&W DM302 bookshelfs

My first stereo that's worth half a shit. Except for the total lack of bass (I have the receiver set to "Small speakers" so it doesn't blow up the place, and no sub yet) I'm happy with it. No complaints about the sound at all. My placement in the room leaves something to be desired, but it's the best I can do now. Anyway, enough Mokeing. ;D
A guy can't help but want to eargasm once in a while, so a few times I've cranked the receiver up to -10... -5... 0... then when things got crazy, +4. I'd turn it down a few seconds later when the best part was over - eargasm complete. I've done this most often with the new Cradle of Filth album, and yesterday I did it with Manson's latest, just to get the full effect of loudness in the room.
Here's the problem. The last few times I've cranked it up, I caught a tiny whiff of what smelled like electronics cooking. Kinda like that new car smell, but warm and burny. (Describing smells isn't easy.) Anyone know what I'm talking about? So I strolled around my room bloodhound-style. I sniffed the receiver, no smell. I sniffed behind the computers, thinking something had gone haywire back there and was heating up. No dice. So I turned the volume back down to a listenable level and the smell went away. Yesterday, I decided to sniff the speakers. I held my ears and put my face right up against it - BINGO! It was a very light smell of something heating up, something I wouldn't even notice if the speakers weren't pushing air out into the room. I've since resolved to not take the volume past an enjoyably loud -10, just to be safe.
And now, everything sounds fine. I took a gander at the cones and nothing looked fucked.
Intuition tells me that the receiver was just sending too much power to the speakers at those too-high levels. Did I ruin anything? What could I have ruined? How can I check? Most importantly, has anyone experienced somethign like this before? Should I worry?
I'll come back with some stats.
Thanks, everyone!
Armen

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
Re:Did I let the smoke out?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 12:40:50 PM »
Denon AVR-1603 Manual (check page 20)

B&W DM302 Product Info Sheet

Looks like the speakers can handle the receiver's 80 W @ 8 ohms, unless I'm reading it incorrectly. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 12:44:31 PM by zhianosatch »

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 12:46:58 PM »
Schnikies. Everything sounds fine now, so I don't think I did, but I'm sure y'all have more informed opinions.

Denon AVR-1603
Canare speaker cable, bare wire connections
B&W DM302 bookshelfs

My first stereo that's worth half a shit. Except for the total lack of bass (I have the receiver set to "Small speakers" so it doesn't blow up the place, and no sub yet) I'm happy with it. No complaints about the sound at all. My placement in the room leaves something to be desired, but it's the best I can do now. Anyway, enough Mokeing. ;D
A guy can't help but want to eargasm once in a while, so a few times I've cranked the receiver up to -10... -5... 0... then when things got crazy, +4. I'd turn it down a few seconds later when the best part was over - eargasm complete. I've done this most often with the new Cradle of Filth album, and yesterday I did it with Manson's latest, just to get the full effect of loudness in the room.
Here's the problem. The last few times I've cranked it up, I caught a tiny whiff of what smelled like electronics cooking. Kinda like that new car smell, but warm and burny. (Describing smells isn't easy.) Anyone know what I'm talking about? So I strolled around my room bloodhound-style. I sniffed the receiver, no smell. I sniffed behind the computers, thinking something had gone haywire back there and was heating up. No dice. So I turned the volume back down to a listenable level and the smell went away. Yesterday, I decided to sniff the speakers. I held my ears and put my face right up against it - BINGO! It was a very light smell of something heating up, something I wouldn't even notice if the speakers weren't pushing air out into the room. I've since resolved to not take the volume past an enjoyably loud -10, just to be safe.
And now, everything sounds fine. I took a gander at the cones and nothing looked fucked.
Intuition tells me that the receiver was just sending too much power to the speakers at those too-high levels. Did I ruin anything? What could I have ruined? How can I check? Most importantly, has anyone experienced somethign like this before? Should I worry?
I'll come back with some stats.
Thanks, everyone!
Armen

>>So I strolled around my room bloodhound-style.

too funneh!

>>Did I ruin anything?

most likely your voice coils had a bit of a meltdown.  vc is insulated by some sort of an epoxy/glue resin (similar to wires in a transformer).  when there's too much current, things start to get hot, really hot.

when i was young, i used to torture old speakers by hooking it up to my 300W amp, stick in my sine sweep test tone and cranking the volume WAAAAY up.  no fire, but i could send my neighbors smoke signals.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 01:17:32 PM »
Yeah, coils in your drivers sounds right.  Your amp might be clipping.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004, 01:22:46 PM »
Thanks, guys!
So it looks like things got too hot in the coils. What are the consequences?

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2004, 01:33:58 PM »
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 12:42:39 AM »
*shakes head* ... you were warned about going over 0 on that knob!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 12:43:17 AM by MattD »
Out of the game … for now?

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2004, 01:10:23 AM »

i think he has the one and only "Ludicrous" volume knob.

movie reference, anyone?

marc

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2004, 01:31:04 AM »
but... these... go to eleven
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2004, 06:15:46 AM »
since when did apogee start manufacturing b&w?

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2004, 02:36:42 PM »

i think he has the one and only "Ludicrous" volume knob.

movie reference, anyone?

marc

Space Balls ?

Offline AT853rxwh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2004, 03:35:30 PM »
Yeah but that was talking about speed...

This is definately

"Ours go to eleven"

What are the long term effects?  You might start noticing that things sound crunchy.  And it depends on which speaker element you roasted.  tweets go fairly fast under adverse conditions, and with the hearing loss you prolly suffered from listening that that loud its prolly all good brah.  

Seriously tho, you prolly did some damage that will effect the longevity of the speakers.  
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2004, 12:37:53 AM »
I don't push it past -10 any more. I don't feel the need. I wish things would sound loud in here... maybe my next set of speakers... ;)
I'm super happy with what I have. Everything sounds fine still...
Thanks for your help, mikesus!

Offline AT853rxwh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2004, 08:17:16 AM »
Whadya say?  

Seriously tho, if you don't hear any damage then you prolly skated this time.  But I would not do that again anytime soon.  
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2004, 08:24:53 AM »
Whadya say?  

Seriously tho, if you don't hear any damage then you prolly skated this time.  But I would not do that again anytime soon.  

"Who let the smoke out?......woop woop".

sound like a new rap song to me!  :D

marc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com