Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording Dropouts - Help Identify The Cause?  (Read 2448 times)

Offline jamroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Recording Dropouts - Help Identify The Cause?
« on: June 01, 2015, 03:45:52 PM »
Recorded a couple of bands last week (Thursday) and there are dropouts in the recording. The recording from the previous Monday with same equipment is perfect.

Gear: CA11->CA9100->Roland R05

When I say dropouts, both channels are affected exactly the same. It doesn't go to silence, it's just like the bass disappears. The support band recording had this happen consistently for the duration of two songs. On the main recording, it's very intermittent and affects some of the songs, but only in "bursts".

I have connected my gear up and ran some highly scientific tests with some music playing - checking the wires into the mics, into the jack, moving the wires around. Same with interconnect to recorder. Apart from a slightly loose backshell on the interconnect, I couldn't find anything obvious, and nothing in the tests caused the same problem. When tugging slightly on the jacks, usually you loose one channel altogether.

Doubt if it's battery, I reckon the pre battery easily has 10 hours left, recorder batteries recharged before every show. SD card has been in use for a couple of years, so not a new card.

I reckon it might have been a loose connection, but it's bothering me, since I have a show tomorrow. As I said, would have thought a loose connection would have lost one channel, rather than the effect I got. BTW - the gear is kept in my pocket, so does get to move around a little, but this is nothing out of the ordinary, as I always tape this way.

Couple of samples attached. The first (Henry Blacker) is the "quiet to normal" transition. The second (Torche) is the "intermittent" effect. Your thoughts on the most likely culprit will be, as always, much appreciated.

Offline zguy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Recording Dropouts - Help Identify The Cause?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 05:21:29 AM »
Hey jamroom, the first sample switches between mono and stereo. I had the exact same problem with a CA-9100, which I narrowed down to a faulty output jack. Your issues might not have the same source, though. I'm not sure about the other sample.

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 05:59:15 AM »
Shit. Better find my bb for tonight. Many thanks for the heads up. Do you know if it was just the solder connection on the output jack? Not sending it across the Atlantic for this.

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 04:34:02 PM »
Ran with the BB last night and no repeat of the dropouts, so output jack woes it is.

Were you able to repair this? I opened that case and the guts were wrapped in alu tape and looked like it was potted inside. I'd like to get this repaired.

Offline zguy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 06:00:27 AM »
No man, I never got it repaired, it's just too much of a hassle I guess.

Anyway, I don't need it because I have a tinybox now, which I prefer soundwise.

Offline powermonkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 07:41:25 AM »
Ran with the BB last night and no repeat of the dropouts, so output jack woes it is.

Were you able to repair this? I opened that case and the guts were wrapped in alu tape and looked like it was potted inside. I'd like to get this repaired.

I may have a similar issue having had dropouts and a bit of fuzz on one channel of my 9200, haven't had a chance to set everything up and try to track down the problem yet. Better value to send two overseas at the same time?
Church Audio CA-11s, CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, Peluso CEMC-6

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

My live recordings.... HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/Liverecordings1

and/or

https://soundcloud.com/liverecordings-1

Offline osurfer

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 09:52:18 PM »
Interesting (and timely, for me) topic.

I've run into this problem as well with a CA UGLY2 preamp. I've narrowed it down to a bad output jack as well; none of my cables  fit snugly in the socket. It's not a cable issue, as this has happened on more than one occasion with different cables. I also don't appear to have this problem with my CA9200 preamp (knock on wood).

I'm going to look into having Chris Church take a look at it and see what he thinks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com