Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cheap and cheerful line-level only mono recorder?  (Read 3795 times)

Offline thatjackelliott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Cheap and cheerful line-level only mono recorder?
« on: November 21, 2017, 09:08:31 PM »
I've been asked to record a local spoken-word stage production by taping off the headphone jack of the theater's sound board. Nothing fancy here, just have to take in a line-level (sort of, headphone jack) signal and record it. Of course, one never knows what output level the headphone jack is providing, so some input level adjustability is a good thing. Peak limiting, too. Any thoughts?

Offline if_then_else

• Taperssection Member
Re: Cheap and cheerful line-level only mono recorder?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 06:56:12 AM »
I was in the same situation earlier this year in a small music bar in Belgium where there was only a headphone jack out of the SBD.
Any decent small deck (Sony PCM-M10, Olympus LS-11, Edirol R9-HR/R5, Marantz PMD-620 etc.) should be fine for your purpose.
Just make sure to bring the right cables and adapters with you.

- Stereo headphone adapter
- 2xRCA Jack to 1/4" mono adapter
- RCA Y-Adaptor Cable
- 3.5 mm TRS to 3.5 mm TRS stereo cable

If you need variable attenuation (because the signal might be too hot), there are some decent adaptors on available ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AAS40ASC-DC-40dB-Adjustable-Stereo-Audio-Attenuator-Line-to-Mic-with-single-ctrl/182889222790?hash=item2a950c1286:g:1wMAAOSwJYVZbz9y
or, alternatively, you could go for the more expensive alternative from SESCOM
http://www.sescom.com/product.asp?item=SES-MKP-27

Offline thatjackelliott

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 10:56:31 AM »
Thank you, if-then-else. These solutions are in the $400 to $500 price range. This is one show I've been asked to record, probably less than two hours long, in mono, with no music. I wish I had my old portable 1/4'' tape recorder that I had when I was a kid, but I haven't seen that since 1966. Maybe I could use my iPhone. Would need to sort out the combo 3.5mm TRRS plug.

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 11:22:03 AM »
You don't have a recorder of your own you can just use?

The tascam DR-05 can be had for $100 USD. 
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/757065-REG/Tascam_DR_05_DR_05_Portable_Handheld_Digital.html

I'm not familiar with iphone recording, but a quick search gives a Rode SC4 that's a TRS > TRRS converter. (if you have an iphone w/ a headphone jack.) I think you can find apps that would let that record to your phone.
http://amzn.to/1sRlEtp

Offline thatjackelliott

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 05:01:29 PM »
Sure, I have a recorder, a laptop running Reaper. I normally use it with a couple of audio interfaces to record and broadcast music festivals. The resultant setup has a pretty large footprint and more than one device that needs AC power. The sound booth at the theater is tiny, so I'm looking for a compact solution that won't get in the way of the sound guy or requires that I bring a power strip and rig cables.

So I said to myself, "Self, let's find out what's in the world of little recorders." I don't need stereo, I don't need mics, I don't need 24-bit resolution. Thus my question. The little DR-05 looks like a very adequate solution, thank you!

This morning I was able to check out a Marantz PMD-660 from the station. I'll take a look at the manual to see how much recording time it provides, and whether it has built-in adjustable attenuation for the 3.5mm Line In jack.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 11:11:15 PM »
There are usually black Friday sales on the dr05. I think mine was $59, but most sales are now about $79. 

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 02:44:37 AM »
That's understandable.  A laptop would probably be pretty cumbersome in a small booth, but with just a spoken word SBD I'm sure you could find somewhere to put the computer.

The 660 looks like all you need.  Page 21 of the manual gives you recording times of different formats/bit rates.  The line in should record the board feed just fine.

http://www.avisoft.com/PMD660.pdf

Offline thatjackelliott

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 10:11:23 AM »
Thanks, folk!

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 01:37:29 PM »

Surely someone here will loan you a recorder if you don't want to buy a cheap one like a DR05. I bought a DR05 for 60 bucks at Guitar Center. Did the job.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline thatjackelliott

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 06:05:34 PM »
Followup. I took the station's Marantz PMD-660 and a small tangle of cables* to the theater to patch into the sound board. There I found a Behringer x32 board. No one there knew how to patch into it. None of the AUX Outs had signal. The headphone jack had no signal. Halfway through the performance the sound tech (who was home watching TV or something) texted the theater owner something terse like "Route mixbus to Aux Out." I poked through every darn page of the mixer's 7-inch TFT control panel and found nothing about getting audio to the headphone jack or to any of the unused AUX Outs, and being that this was in the middle of a performance I had to restrain myself from just pushing buttons and trying things.

Oh well, this was just something I was asked to do as a favor. Next year I'll get there well in advance when the sound tech is in house and get things set up properly. Besides, he wants an audience mic rigged so I could capture their reaction to this spoken-word/comedy event.

* Looks like the ball of Christmas tree lights I pull out of the box every December.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 02:27:44 PM »
Tascam DR-10 is a super simple mono recorder.  Its intended to locally record a lav mic or handheld mic depending on the variant which is mostly about what input connector the recorder uses.  I think they typically run between 100 and 200 dollars.

But if the soundtech is there next year to figure out how to do it, I believe you can record directly to a USB memory stick from the Behringer X32.  Worth checking on that.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com