Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)  (Read 163718 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 09:18:07 PM »
i think there is a voltage setting lower than 9. check it. if there is, a setting like six volts should work fine...

like i said, the manual explains what this setting is about better than i am right now...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:20:22 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 10:12:28 PM »
You shouldn't have any issues running the R-44 off of 9v.  I haven't run into any using the 9v DVD batteries.  Rather than set a final voltage value, I've always kept the Ext-Power setting on "Adapter" and had AA batteries in the deck's tray.  That way the unit sees the external battery as an AC source and, if it should run down, the R-44 will automatically and seamlessly switch over to the internal batteries if need be.

This.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 10:36:30 PM »
thanks for the feedback.  it sounds like i have a couple of options...

1) set the final voltage to 9v and run my battery at 12v.
2) leave the R-44 set to "adapter", run my ext. battery at 9v and keep AA batteries in the R-44 tray as back-up.

i like options.... options are good.  i'll experiment and see what works best.

option #2 is the way to go i think.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 02:15:45 AM »
You shouldn't have any issues running the R-44 off of 9v.  I haven't run into any using the 9v DVD batteries.  Rather than set a final voltage value, I've always kept the Ext-Power setting on "Adapter" and had AA batteries in the deck's tray.  That way the unit sees the external battery as an AC source and, if it should run down, the R-44 will automatically and seamlessly switch over to the internal batteries if need be.

This.

This.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 08:13:02 PM »
why does the r-44 put 100 track markers at the start of each recording..? is there a way to make it so this doesnt happen..?
-macdaddy ++

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
why does the r-44 put 100 track markers at the start of each recording..? is there a way to make it so this doesnt happen..?

I forgot it did that.  I'm not aware of a setting to prevent it.  I sometimes set markers on playback from the machine for convenience, but I never set them during recording.  But in that case you wouldn't know they are there in the file (using them while operating playback of the recorder) until you copy the files to the computer.  You can set your FLAC encoder to ignore them along with other metadata, or probably use other WAV tools to strip them out.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »

I forgot it did that.  I'm not aware of a setting to prevent it.  I sometimes set markers on playback from the machine for convenience, but I never set them during recording.  But in that case you wouldn't know they are there in the file (using them while operating playback of the recorder) until you copy the files to the computer.  You can set your FLAC encoder to ignore them along with other metadata, or probably use other WAV tools to strip them out.

Always wondered about this myself.  I usually just strip them out in Audition.  A minor annoyance but, for those that still burn playable CDs, there are some burning programs that will not burn a CD-R if there are markers on/in a track.

Offline RichT

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 02:42:06 PM »
An update on the sync business, here's my Tascam HD-P2 hooked up over word clock to the R-44 as master

(SP/dif is hoooked up to something which isn't on)

Recorded 30mins with 2 claps, no drift.
http://rtsound.net/?p=191

I haven't had the issue with the markers before, does it need the firmware updating?

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 02:56:26 PM »
PortaBrace is finally making a case for the R44, it's Model/Part number is AR-R44 linked here.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 03:10:14 PM »
thx for the link...

two bills..? that is alot of scratch...
-macdaddy ++

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 03:21:21 PM »
$150-250 is the going rate of recorder PB bags - so $200 seems ballpark to me
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 11:02:35 PM »
$150 too much......sheesh.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 05:22:25 PM »
Just marking.  Carry on
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 05:42:23 PM »
Just marking.  Carry on

I prefer this one, but it's NSFW TS sewer-bound material-
http://www.supremepower.co.uk/Marking%20Your%20Territory.jpg
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 06:35:25 PM »
this question may have been asked and answered, so apologies in advance if that's the case...

when using 4 mics and recording to two separate stereo tracks (stereo X2) the individual track meters (1,2,3,4) show good levels with no clipping but the stereo mix meter (L-R) shows hotter levels with mild clipping.  can someone tell my why this is happening and what i should do to correct it.  thanks. 

added info: i always set the inner and outer level knobs at 12 Noon, and individual track levels peak around -6 db (if it's a very loud show levels will peak at -3 db).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 06:48:28 PM by cashandkerouac »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com