Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps KCY>littlebox?  (Read 9670 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Schoeps KCY>littlebox?
« on: June 26, 2011, 02:52:06 PM »
I know this is really a question for Jon, but I thought I would see first if anyone is actually using this setup.  I've been wanting a lowpro setup for my Schoeps for awhile but haven't pulled the trigger on any of the existing solutions (KC5s, NBox, CMR) for a variety of reasons, the main one being each has something about it that I don't particularly like. 

I believe I saw a thread here that indicated that a littlebox and/or the forthcoming 48V tinybox could properly power some mk capsules via the KCY cable.  This would solve for everything I'm looking for, including:

- no bodies
- no 9V batts to carry
- full 48
- smallest size (smaller than CMR for the mics, and smaller than the Schoeps VMS boxes for the pre)

If this hasn't been done before, I'd assume Jon would need either the cables or the schematic for them; I don't own them, and I don't see a schematic here: http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/kcy/overview  I'd be happy to buy the cables first and send them out, but again, if someone else has already implemented this, I'd be curious to hear how it's going. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
Re: Schoeps KCY>littlebox?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 03:36:07 PM »
The way I understand it is no this won't work with the current version.  As the current version does not provide 6.1V for FET voltage as required by the KCY nor does it provide a full 48V yet (I may be not up to date on this).

Jon is working on a newer version that may have this capability (Tinybox 2.0) - i.e. he is looking to add Binder 711 to  and provide a FET and high capsule voltage (+48V or so).

Ideally for schoeps you would want +60V but +48V works you just loose some sensitivity.

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline H₂O

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 03:40:53 PM »
I could probably build a box to meet your specs but without a pre-amp - run off 4 AA's - but it would be 3-4 months - I may be able to add a preamp as well - unbalanced out - I have a few designs in mind but haven't built one yet.

I was thinking of moding my tube ps design to run a Schoeps CMMT active setup - but I haven't gotten around to it yet - It would use 5.6V / +120V.

I am planning on building this in the Fall to Winter may start with a KCY version first.
LMA Recordings

List

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 04:05:08 PM »
Both the littlebox>KCY setup and AA box>KCY setup sound like good ideas.

Any chance of an external powering solution for the Nbox?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 11:19:36 AM »
tinybox v1.5 has the capability to supply +45V to the capsule and +8V to the FET, and can have a Binder in place of the usual mini-XLR input.  So it should directly support a KCY, although this has not yet been tested.  I am planning on doing a mini-XLR-->Binder adaptor for the loaner tinybox that will circulate to test all available active setups.

littlebox v1.5 is due very soon and can provide the same support, except it will be able to do any voltage up to +130V, and can run the active setup switchable with the standard P48 XLR inputs.

I can send you my KCY and capsules to test if you like

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 06:00:21 PM »
I'd rather send around the tinybox; saves quite a lot on postal insurance.  Also, it's going out to other brand owners to test actives.

put me on the list  >:D

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 06:02:05 PM »
I'd rather send around the tinybox; saves quite a lot on postal insurance.  Also, it's going out to other brand owners to test actives.

put me on the list  >:D

can I also be put on the list??....  thanks.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 10:04:54 PM »
meh.. how bout I just order a 60v/16v tinybox. It will work :)

When you getting in those pcbs for a 45v/16v pfa?

Offline zeus163

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 02:30:24 AM »
I could probably build a box to meet your specs but without a pre-amp - run off 4 AA's - but it would be 3-4 months - I may be able to add a preamp as well - unbalanced out - I have a few designs in mind but haven't built one yet.

I was thinking of moding my tube ps design to run a Schoeps CMMT active setup - but I haven't gotten around to it yet - It would use 5.6V / +120V.

I am planning on building this in the Fall to Winter may start with a KCY version first.

Could the AA box without Pre, but built to accomodate the nbox cabling? Just looking for smaller options for running the Schoeps.
Kangol wearing fool...

Offline H₂O

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 11:13:56 AM »

Could the AA box without Pre, but built to accomodate the nbox cabling? Just looking for smaller options for running the Schoeps.

I am sure I could but I would need an nbox to get the FET Voltage from.
LMA Recordings

List

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 01:01:03 PM »

I am sure I could but I would need an nbox to get the FET Voltage from.

It's 18v as measured on the output pins of the nbox. I believe, but not certain, that the operating range is something like 14-20v.

What I need to know is what's the voltage operating range for stock KCY cables (especially vMax). I believe there is definitely a difference in the FET used and that it probably uses a much lower voltage.

Offline zeus163

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 02:00:45 PM »
What if I sent my nbox? I'd pay for insurance both ways on it. I just need to find a break in my schedule that would allow for this as I plan on actually getting out and doing some taping in the next three weeks after a fairly inactive summer time.
Kangol wearing fool...

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 02:09:47 PM »
What if I sent my nbox? I'd pay for insurance both ways on it. I just need to find a break in my schedule that would allow for this as I plan on actually getting out and doing some taping in the next three weeks after a fairly inactive summer time.

No need.. it's 18v

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 04:08:03 PM »
The KCY is specified at +6V for the FET and +58V for the capsule.

+6v is vMax?

Knowing this, does it make sense that the reutelhuber style cables use +18v for the FET?

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 04:34:59 PM »
The electronics in the nbox are not compatible with the KCY cable. I asked Nick if I could get an nbox where I could attach/detach the KCY, and he said I couldn't. Furthermore, he would have had to irreversibly modify the electronics in a KCY in order to attach it to the nbox. Maybe that accounts for the 6 V vs 18 V?

The KCY is specified at +6V for the FET and +58V for the capsule.

+6v is vMax?

Knowing this, does it make sense that the reutelhuber style cables use +18v for the FET?
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com