Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ideas on a small & lightweight clamp for use with caps & active cables  (Read 8252 times)

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
Re: Ideas on a small & lightweight clamp for use with caps & active cables
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 10:29:57 AM »
I've seen a ADK A51TL hung a with a Nano....get two and make a sweet Blumlein setup on your stands vertical colum...it's stable....

Page what kind of Stud is screwed into your Nano?

;D

hey Bryonsos...I forgot that we  hung the Pipebomb (Busman LD Stereo Mic) on a stand with one Nano at the Casbah...is it heavier than a single TL?

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 10:42:39 AM »
I've seen a ADK A51TL hung a with a Nano....get two and make a sweet Blumlein setup on your stands vertical colum...it's stable....

;D

hey Bryonsos...I forgot that we  hung the Pipebomb (Busman LD Stereo Mic) on a stand with one Nano at the Casbah...is it heavier than a single TL?

Definitely. The 2 TLs together are heavier though, and I had them both clamped to the stand under your stereo bar and umbrella during the monsoon last month. I wouldn't trust a Windtech for that duty, but the Nano works like a charm. Plus, even with a nut and a rapid adapter, it's a pretty small solution.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 12:08:10 PM »
I wouldn't trust a Windtech for that duty, but the Nano works like a charm. Plus, even with a nut and a rapid adapter, it's a pretty small solution.

The Mini Cardellini clamp I pictured earlier doesn't need any adapters, it's very sturdy, small and for me a perfect solution, weighing in at 7 oz. it's lightweight too.  A Skinny Mini Cardellini is also available which is only 6 oz. if weight is that critical for you.

The Nano clamp all by itself is lighter but by the time you add a stud and a rapid adapter it's the same weight as a Mini Cardellini or a Windtech C-Clamp.

Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 01:07:24 PM »

;D

^Thanks for the chuckle. Caught me off guard for some reason and I damn near soiled myself.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 02:47:30 PM »
I wouldn't trust a pair of LDs on it personally, but I believe in trending toward engineering for overkill when it comes to safety. If you're going to do that, atleast make sure you use the 3/8ths connector and not the 1/4.

......... Hard to beat that rig for size and (I imagine) cost.  Is it stable?

mine is, I use the rapid adaptor purely for orientation purposes. When it's horizontal and screwed on tight, the shockmount doesn't move (thread tight on the adaptor) and the RA doesn't move since gravity is working against the stud (and it's screwed on tight with a raised lip between it and the exit).

I could even hang stuff up side down courtesy of that raised lip which would prevent the mics and mount from falling off in the unlikely event that the rapid adaptor screw came a little loose.

Just make sure to look up what the posted failure weights are for the nano. It's something like 7lbs which isn't a ton, but it's more than enough for standard SD mics and active/remotes.

check tim's thread on clamping, it's near the end of that, macdaddy recommended the stud as I was originally using a slightly longer one. I think it's $4 or so.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 03:27:37 PM »
A 16p nail is rated for ~200lbs of carrying capacity. That's pretty crap metal that we rely on to hold our houses together. I have no problem putting a few pounds of load on a Nano and a stud connected by the 3/8 screw. Mannfrotto uses quality materials.

For me, the issue is the center of balance and contact points. A Nano keeps things close to the center of gravity with a short stud, and it makes WAY more contact with the stand than a Windtech. As such, Windtechs can easily crimp a stand pole if you over tighten them, wheresas a Nano has a wider grip and you'd have to über overtightened it to crimp the pole. I have a Windtech that I no longer use, but I won't sell it because I think they're shitty, and I don't think any of us should be using them. YMMV
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 08:44:12 PM »

This one page?

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 10:37:15 PM »

This one page?

Yep. Looks right,  i have that other piece somewhere.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com