Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Real Time V3 vs. Aerco Comp  (Read 6660 times)

Offline L Ron Hoover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "I figure the odds be 50/50"
Re: Real Time V3 vs. Aerco Comp
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 09:47:04 PM »
Thanks, and thanks for the comp. I'm an idiot and didn't realize the the first and second were different. My above comments were for the first. The second comp sounds almost identical to me with maybe a slight bit more separation in the second source.

stevetoney

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 10:03:48 PM »
So, let's say this comp goes up as a blind test.  Are all you guys that are saying that you hear clear differences between these two preamp tests such that you'd immediately know that the source switches between preamps every 30 seconds?

I mean, I guess I don't have that great a listening system sitting here on my computer (external Extigy soundcard into a pair of $120 Sony cans), because I just don't hear it except for the fact that there's a tiny level change in the second source every 30 seconds. 

However, I can't get that much volume out of my computer desktop system.  When you guys listen to these comps, are you listening at really high volume?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 10:06:20 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline rich

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 10:09:40 PM »
i would have to say NO on the first sample tune.  in fact, i had no idea what was going on until minute two and reviewing the comparison verbiage.  second sample tune is deffinitely more noticeable to my ears.

rich
sweeet beaver!

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 10:15:58 PM »
i would have to say NO on the first sample tune.  in fact, i had no idea what was going on until minute two and reviewing the comparison verbiage.  second sample tune is deffinitely more noticeable to my ears.

rich

Wow. I would have to say exactly the opposite. Listening with the headphones, I could clearly hear the switch in the first sample. In the second, if it was not established that the sources changed at thirty second intervals I wouldn't have known the difference.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 10:37:02 PM »

rich

Wow. I would have to say exactly the opposite. Listening with the headphones, I could clearly hear the switch in the first sample. In the second, if it was not established that the sources changed at thirty second intervals I wouldn't have known the difference.
same here
the first i could clearly hear a difference - i wouldn't have known which was whioch blind however
track 2 i could hear slight differences but i had to realllllly listen
if i didn't know it switched sources i prob wouldn't have ever noticed
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 12:27:26 AM »
I think the main reason you can tell the change in the first sample is that they are two seperate recorders with different time clocks.  I tried to stretch/line them up, but you never can get them exactly perfect (I use sony vegas pro).  The second sample is using the R-4 so they line up perfectly.  Sometimes on both samples, mostly the first, during the change you can hear a slight "pop/click".  Smokin' Joe showed me this trick and I feel it is the best way to listen and truly hear a comp.

http://www.turtleside.com/misc/Aerco-V3-comp/Aerco.vs.V3digi.Primeordia.flac

http://www.turtleside.com/misc/Aerco-V3-comp/Aerco.vs.V3analog.Hottentot.flac

This time it switches every 15 seconds and you guess which is which.

GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com