Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Dilemma: Upgrade my Macbook Pro, get another Mac, or get a PC?  (Read 5351 times)

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
I currently have a Macbook Pro (early 2011) with Adobe Soundbooth as my DAW.
I'm running into issues editing large 24/96 files because my SSD on the Macbook is only 128gb, and I keep running out of space and getting the message "your start up disc is almost full, please delete some files to free up more space".  I already have all of my music on external drives - what's taking up space is programs and content that needs to stay on it for work stuff. I believe that Soundbooth is requiring large chunks of my 128gb SSD for clipboard space when I open .wav files into the program for editing.  (In general, I'm not completely enamored with Soundbooth, btw).

So, If I stick with this Macbook for working with audio files, I will need to change out the SSD for a much larger one. Another less pressing issue is that I only have two USB 2.0 ports, one Firewire, and one Thunderbolt port. USB 2.0 is not that fast, so I would need to upgrade my external drives to thunderbolt (kind of expensive) if I want fast transfer rates. Also, I was considering finding something better than Adobe Soundbooth CS5...

Considering the expense involved with upgrading my early 2011 Macbook, I'm wondering if it might just be a good time to start fresh with a new machine - either another (newer) Mac, or maybe even just get a new PC that would be primarily geared for working with audio files.

So I guess I'm looking for opinions as to which machine is better for audio editing (Mac or PC) and what program do you think is best?

Thanks,
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • lost cause
Re: Dilemma: Upgrade my Macbook Pro, get another Mac, or get a PC?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 09:26:38 AM »
either or is just perfectly capable for audio editing.
IMNSHO your paying for the name with apple. So I vote pc. I don't work on laptops either though.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 12:13:03 PM »
You can find the 240-256GB SSD drives for about $100 now (just wait for one to go on sale, happens pretty frequently).

That seems a worthwhile upgrade to me. 
About a year ago, I was debating upgrading to a new machine from my 2009 13" Macbook Pro.  Instead I bought a new SSD and a new battery, and have no regrets.

If you like working on a Mac, this is what I'd recommend.  Even my older Core2Duo machine is perfectly capable of complex audio editing and conversions.

Offline greenmtnsrider

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Shows
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 12:20:37 PM »
You can always get an external HD and work from there. Im on a 2012 MBP, coming from an XP machine and would never look back. Planning on upgrading my RAM to 8gb at some point soon...
Mics: Schoeps CMC6/mk4| AKG C414b XLII/ST| AKG c460b/ck61| AKG se300B/Ck91, Ck92, Ck93| Church Audio CA-14 (C/O)| Tascam iM2
Preamps: Lunatec V2| Shure FP24| Naiant PIPsqueak
Decks: Sound Devices Mixpre10t| Tascam Portacapture X8| Tascam DR-70d| Tascam DR-2D
Cables: GAKables XLR

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 08:48:16 PM »
You can always get an external HD and work from there. Im on a 2012 MBP, coming from an XP machine and would never look back. Planning on upgrading my RAM to 8gb at some point soon...

Greenmtnsrider: what audio editing program are you using with your MBP?

Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline greenmtnsrider

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Shows
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 01:37:40 PM »
Soundforge Pro and Audactiy
Mics: Schoeps CMC6/mk4| AKG C414b XLII/ST| AKG c460b/ck61| AKG se300B/Ck91, Ck92, Ck93| Church Audio CA-14 (C/O)| Tascam iM2
Preamps: Lunatec V2| Shure FP24| Naiant PIPsqueak
Decks: Sound Devices Mixpre10t| Tascam Portacapture X8| Tascam DR-70d| Tascam DR-2D
Cables: GAKables XLR

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 06:48:51 PM »
1) your MBP should have more than enough "juice" to handle the tasks you're throwing at it.  If you're otherwise happy with it, I'd consider following the advice above and upgrading the SSD to a larger one (I'd consider going with a 500mb one if you can swing it).  Also, if your MBP has an internal superdrive (CD/DVD) and you don't use it much, there are kits available that allow you to replace the superdrive with an internal hard drive -- If this describes your setup, you could do well adding a multi-terabyte internal hard drive to your computer while you're at it, as this would avoid the usb2 speed bottleneck.

2) as for external drives, there's a recent thread in the team mac forum (teams section of this board) that discussed another mac owner's experience buying and using a multi-drive thunderbolt enclosure -- this would likely require you to open up your external drives' cases to remove the drives themselves, but this isn't too difficult to do.

fwiw

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 02:17:27 AM »
Great suggestions - I did not know about the kit to replace the dvd drive.
I know a guy that builds and sells Macs for a living - I'll run this by him.

Thanks,

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 09:53:33 AM »
just upgrade the ssd to a larger one

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 10:52:04 AM »
SCB -- agree, that's all he really needs :) -- However, given his comment on wanting faster HDD storage (usb2 too slow), I wanted to throw out this option too -- having a few extra terabytes of sata-speed storage onboard isn't a bad thing imo, but best option would be to go "all in" on the biggest ssd he can afford to throw in there -- really enjoy the 512gb I have in my rMBP

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 11:20:06 AM »

I had to go from Android phone to iphone because my new hearing aids, while great, are only iphone compatible.  Except for the hearing aid compatibility, the iphone sucks by comparison.  The iphone takes control away from me in areas that Android didn't.  I'm not sure if the macbook does the same, but I've never been willing to pay the price for one just to find out.

But really my main bitch isn't necessarily the products...it's the company.  I hate how they market...releasing products incrementally every 18 months so that they can sell the same thing over and over and over and over to the tech geeks that dont mind getting screwed over like that.

I'm sorry, that response didn't address your question at all, but I do feel better.   :coolguy: 

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 01:19:08 PM »
here's a link:  http://eshop.macsales.com/Search/Search.cfm?Ntk=Primary&Ns=P_Popularity%7c1&Ne=5000&N=7854&Ntt=data+doubler

If you don't use your disc drive, this is definitely the way to go.  He already has a SSD to run the OS, and picking up a 1 or 2TB 2.5" drive for the data doubler is a pretty affordable option these days.

I have an external USB disc drive on my desk for the times that I need it. (not very often any more!)

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 02:00:50 PM »
Jamos -- good point, it's also (relatively) easy to offload programs/directories from the OP's existing 128gb ssd to the mechanical HDD, which would likely solve the OP's issue of an overfilled boot drive. 

Also, the OP doesn't indicate how much ram he has -- probably be a good idea to max out his ram (or at least assure he has 16gb in) while he's upgrading . ..
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 02:02:40 PM by dnsacks »

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 09:44:48 AM »

I had to go from Android phone to iphone because my new hearing aids, while great, are only iphone compatible.  Except for the hearing aid compatibility, the iphone sucks by comparison.  The iphone takes control away from me in areas that Android didn't.  I'm not sure if the macbook does the same, but I've never been willing to pay the price for one just to find out.

It's a UNIX machine. you have as much control as you want. They don't take anything away

But really my main bitch isn't necessarily the products...it's the company.  I hate how they market...releasing products incrementally every 18 months so that they can sell the same thing over and over and over and over to the tech geeks that dont mind getting screwed over like that.

They upgrade the laptop hardware to faster chips, better battery life, better displays, faster storage. They usually get Intel's latest chips in their machines before anyone else does. That doesn't screw their customers at all.

I got a 13" Retina Macbook pro at the end of 2013. I love it. If I bought the one announced last month right now, I'd get a newer Intel chip with a higher clock speed, a much faster SSD, the new "force touch" trackpad, and better battery life. Not sure how I'd be screwed. Since I already love my laptop, I have no need to get a new machine, so I don't see how I'm being screwed that way, either.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com