Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony Stereo Mic Repair  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
Sony Stereo Mic Repair
« on: January 29, 2015, 05:12:31 PM »
Took a chance on a cheap deal on a "as-is" Sony ECM-MS5 Mid Side mic.

This was one of Sony's top models - runs on phantom.

The mic works as-advertised. It works - but has intermittent static clicking, popping.

The signal sounds good - and as it should - both channels work - just peppered with noise.

Another clue perhaps - when you adjust the angle selector switch - there is a decided pop at each increment.

I'm using a different cable than the fellow who sold it to me - and it behaves the same way - so, safe to eliminate the cable. (XLR5 > L/R XLR)

Any conjecture before I begin dissection?

So far - the top doesn't seem to twist off - (with modest force) - so I'll have to go in at the jack end.

Pics to follow - thanks for any guidance.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 05:49:46 PM by Life In Rewind »

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony Stereo Mic Repair
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 06:32:37 PM »
It could be dirty along the signal path. You could try disassembling it and use >90% alcohol or Caig cleaner on all electrical connections, including the switch. If the switch is sealed, you can drill a small hole in to the housing to put some cleaner inside, then work the switch back and forth.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 08:17:43 PM »
do not drill a hole in a sealed switch..... where will the debris go? Um inside the switch. It sounds like a bad capsule. I would ask Sony if they are fixing old mics like this my guess is they are not. I can take a look at it. You need to be able to measure the capacitance of the capsules if they are the variety with external fets not internal fets. this may be above your head if you want someone to take a look at it I would do that for free. Just out of curiosity to see how they built the mic.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 11:04:30 PM »
Well - first stumbling block.

Those tiny Phillips head screws that hold the switch are smaller than any driver I have in my kit.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 12:20:52 PM »
Well - first stumbling block.

Those tiny Phillips head screws that hold the switch are smaller than any driver I have in my kit.
that is always the way it goes!! lol there are usually good kits at electronic stores. I really doubt this is going to be a switch issue. But I apve been wrong before just make sure that the capsules are nowhere near and I mean feet away from any contact cleaner you use. Also make sure its zero residue. Deoxit make lots of good products but they all leave a protectant residue. That's good for contacts but not good for capsules! Try zero residue stuff first like caig labritories stuff.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 11:39:51 AM »
I just wanted to say that is a bad ass little mic, I've never seen it before but Sony made some great stuff back in the day. Good luck!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 10:58:09 PM »
Sony publishes service manuals for everything they make, whether consumer or pro. These manuals show how to disassemble the unit and give circuit diagrams, board layouts, part numbers--the works. Sometimes they show procedures for testing and troubleshooting the unit. Highly recommended.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 01:24:51 AM »
Waiting for some news about this mic!
How good is it eventually, if you got it repaired? How does it compare to Shure VP-88 if you (or anybody else here in TS) could do this comp?

I know one of the main differences (to me) is that the Shure outputs M/S and L+R, whereas the Sony does only L+R (with differents settings), but what about the sound? Someone on gearslutz wrote "the Sony sounded thin and nasal compared to the VP-88's richer, flatter sound. " Is this just an opinion or a large consensus? I think mainly for ambient sounds, landscapes, mainly without music (no shows).

Thanks in advance!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.178 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com