Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tapers Section World Scoop (LOL) - Marantz PMD620  (Read 121286 times)

Offline Arni99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tapers Section World Scoop (LOL) - Marantz PMD620
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2007, 02:23:07 AM »
I ordered mine yesterday from www.thomann.de an will report my experiences with the PDM 620 as soon as I tested it in the field...maybe Friday 21th at a concert with my DPA 4060+bbox on line-in, IF I receive it in time.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 04:16:09 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline mfoley

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2007, 03:46:52 AM »
Although my field test is probably unlike any of you regulars here...(I'm not a taper but a wedding/event videographer).  I handed the 620 to the pastor to wear to capture his vocals (used audio technica MT830 lav).  In addition to being the pastor at the church, he was also the music director...so he probably had some working knowledge of recording equipment.  He looked at the 620 and said out loud (reading the faceplate of the recorder), "Marantz Professional - good stuff".  In my business, perception is a huge part of what we do.   

He commented after the ceremony that it fit nicely in his pocket, "Unlike some of the other stuff I've been asked to use".   Audio capture was clean...low noise....

Sorry, not a scientific review with performance charts...but satisfied I purchased wisely for this recording process of my business...and in business you use what makes you money.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 03:48:36 AM by mfoley »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2007, 10:13:42 AM »

User MENU process is fast responding wrapping type, but a bit UN-intuitive to understand at first.

The three identical Preset lists seem way too tedious with 24 categories to make operating choices, at least at first. And learning the appropriate choice of two push-for-select function buttons is at first confusing. Preset selection process needs practice, and seems quickest with TWO HANDED THUMB operation.

The presets might seem a touch difficult at first glance, but you get used to them really quickly.  It is sort of nice that you can make a couple of configurations and save them; then, at the show, you can just select the one that best matches your situation.  The reality is that many of the items in the list won't be needed often, so won't need to be changed often either.  After a little practice, I can blaze through the menu/options one-handed...

The things I would be motivated to let go of cash for are #1- 24 bit with good line-in, and #2 - a decent mic input pre-amp.....

Build quality seems good here, how about the above.  Otherwise, I still love my h-140.....

I am waiting on some good mics and a pre-amp (should be here any moment; I am wearing a path to the mailbox!), so I haven't tested the line-in yet, but I have looked at the mic-in with a cheap electret I already owned (really designed for voice recording) in a non-scientific way. I was looking to compare the Zoom H2 with the PMD620.  I recorded the same piece of music from my stereo, from the same spot, with both recorders, burned the samples to CD, and listened to them at a pretty loud volume.  The PMD620 sounded better to me, with less audible evidence of handling.  I think this is in line with expectations, as the Zoom mic-in has been previously reported to be noisy (see posts on the Zoom forum, http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewforum.php?f=15).  To my ears, the pre-amp sounds better than the Zoom.  But better mics may make a difference, so I will revisit the issue when the package arrives, as well as look at the line-in a bit...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 10:58:21 AM by aaronji »

Offline HarpDoc

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2007, 03:02:46 PM »
Has anyone here had a chance to record a show with external mics (without separete preamp)? I'm curious about the unit's pre's and whether it can handle a loud show without needing a battery box or external pre (looking to travel light). Can anyone compair this to H120/140, the new Sony, or the R01?

Thanks.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2007, 04:18:03 PM »
Has anyone here had a chance to record a show with external mics (without separete preamp)? I'm curious about the unit's pre's and whether it can handle a loud show without needing a battery box or external pre (looking to travel light). Can anyone compair this to H120/140, the new Sony, or the R01?

Thanks.
My 620 is still on its way from Germany to Austria...they sent it tuesday morning....its only 400km but xmas-shipping is always delayed....thus I had to quit tonights recording session with the 620+dpa 4061 on mic-in with plugin power at -24db sensitivity(1st set of the show) and 620+bbox on line-in with the dpa 4061 for the 2nd set of the show.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2007, 07:49:58 PM »
My 620 is still on its way from Germany to Austria...they sent it tuesday morning....its only 400km but xmas-shipping is always delayed....thus I had to quit tonights recording session with the 620+dpa 4061 on mic-in with plugin power at -24db sensitivity(1st set of the show) and 620+bbox on line-in with the dpa 4061 for the 2nd set of the show.

And I am having the opposite problem...Holding my 620, but mics in shipping...Sigh!  Soon, though...
EDIT:  Actually, to clarify, I have tried a small, crappy stereo mic through the mic input.  Tried it using the battery in the mic and also with plug-in power, recording the exact same source.  Both worked well and sound good for what it was.  No audible difference between the two...But not exactly a good test...

Getting some good snow over there?  We are even getting a bit here in the lowlands...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 11:26:28 AM by aaronji »

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2007, 08:32:59 AM »
nice work.

any major advantages over the R-09?

That's the only thing I really want to know.
Any thoughts?  ;D
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2007, 08:43:24 AM »
nice work.

Any thoughts?  ;D
-better internal preamps(less noise..comparable to the MZ-RH1 preamp according to the review)
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/message/30684
http://www.transom.org/tools/recording_interviewing/200712_marantz_620/

-no SD-card size limit..no filesplit occurs at 2GB..so the size of the sd-card is the only limiting factor
-hopefully better-built inputs than the r09  ;D...only time will tell ;) can´t be worse though...
-5V plugin-power on mic-in instead of 2,5V(R09)

I´ll get mine tomorrow and run a test at a small club-concert in Vienna...

Roving Sign

« Reply #83 on: December 26, 2007, 08:57:37 AM »
nice work.

Any thoughts?  ;D
-better internal preamps(less noise..comparable to the MZ-RH1 preamp according to the review)
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/message/30684
http://www.transom.org/tools/recording_interviewing/200712_marantz_620/

-no SD-card size limit..no filesplit occurs at 2GB..so the size of the sd-card is the only limiting factor
-hopefully better-built inputs than the r09  ;D...only time will tell ;) can´t be worse though...
-5V plugin-power on mic-in instead of 2,5V(R09)

I´ll get mine tomorrow and run a test at a small club-concert in Vienna...

No clicks when adjusting levels...as long as the jacks dont break with normal use - it would seem this has the R9 beat hands down...

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2007, 09:13:51 AM »
Thanks.
But unless I'm not very well informed, there's no way to avoid the "hey-I'm-taping-here" red light. Am I right or wrong?
Thanks in advance ;D

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Roving Sign

« Reply #85 on: December 26, 2007, 09:16:15 AM »
Thanks.
But unless I'm not very well informed, there's no way to avoid the "hey-I'm-taping-here" red light. Am I right or wrong?
Thanks in advance ;D

On the R9 or Marantz?

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2007, 09:17:41 AM »
Thanks.
Thanks in advance ;D
The manual says "LEDs off" is possible...I´ll tell you tomorrow.
Anyway..a black Gaffa-tape hides the red light.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2007, 09:17:55 AM »
Thanks.
Thanks in advance ;D

On the R9 or Marantz?

On the new Marantz. On the R-09 this problem has been solved long time ago.
Thanks for the fast reply ;)

Roving Sign

« Reply #88 on: December 26, 2007, 09:20:06 AM »
Thanks.
Thanks in advance ;D

On the R9 or Marantz?

On the new Marantz. On the R-09 this problem has been solved long time ago.
Thanks for the fast reply ;)

Probably a simple fix if it doesnt already do this...

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2007, 09:21:54 AM »
Thanks.
Thanks in advance ;D
The manual says "LEDs off" is possible...I´ll tell you tomorrow.
Anyway..a black Gaffa-tape hides the red light.

How are you doing, my friend? Yes, the old black tape trick...
I understand the "leds off" controls the leds only (level and over).But maybe I'm wrong.
Thanks for your comments. I'll end up buying this one anyways. I just can't help myself. ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com